Inexpensive cap for 28mm Summaron

Beresford

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am delighted with my recently purchased Summaron, but I find that the lens cap is liable to fall off. And if it does, and I loose it, my wallet will not be pleased.

I see no point in molly-coddling Leicas, they are meant to be used and are robustly constructed, however, it would be nice, when 'in the field' or I suppose 'on the street' to have a cheap cap which I wouldn't mind too much if it disappeared. Normally I don't use a lens cap, but the beauty of the Summaron is that it is small enough so one can fit it and a camera body in a coat pocket. One needs a lens cap in such circumstances, I think.

Any suggestions?

Plenty of generic plastic caps available for a dollar or so. If you are prepared to spend a bit more (under 10$), you'll also find CN-made metal copies on the Bay, although I'm pretty sure they infringe all sorts of patents and copyrights...

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

but I find that the lens cap is liable to fall off. 

I find mine quite a snug fit. That said, I managed to drop it whilst removing the cap from my pocket whilst crossing a fairly busy road outside Ambleside. I was faced with a sudden choice: leave it rolling around in a circle and hope that the oncoming traffic doesn't run it over or dance around in the middle in the road trying to pick it up and hope the oncoming traffic doesn't run me over (and in the process set a very bad example to my daughter who was watching at the time). Thinking about how much a replacement is likely to cost I chose the latter option. :D

Interestingly, when I picked the cap up I expected to find it dinged or scratched from having dropped it on to the road (and it having rolled around in a spiral) but it was completely unmarked.

• Like 1

Ian, whilst setting a bad example to the next generation is generally to be commended, I am glad that you are around to tell the tale.

I loved Peter's suggestion about cling film but I have looked on Amazon and found a source of foreign made caps which may save me from becoming a Grumpy Photographer. 

...And we can't have that, can we?

• Like 1

Ian, whilst setting a bad example to the next generation is generally to be commended, I am glad that you are around to tell the tale.

I loved Peter's suggestion about cling film but I have looked on Amazon and found a source of foreign made caps which may save me from becoming a Grumpy Photographer. 

...And we can't have that, can we?

I hope you will share the Amazon link so others can take a look.  

Really nice looking Summaron-M cap that if loosing must be drama.

I think of a cord to hold it but the small 28mm would not allow to attach it.

If lost, I know that replacing with another brand/ no-name cap is easy.

Even if some 34mm caps sold with cord/string holder : https://www.amazon.com/String-Holder-Digital-Cameras-Camcorders/dp/B00L9A7D5U

I hope you will share the Amazon link so others can take a look.  

https://www.amazon.co.uk/A36-Metal-Lens-Cap-Leica/dp/B01MQIGFYG/ref=nav_custrec_signin?ie=UTF8&qid=1507412137&sr=8-1&keywords=lens+cap+summaron&

Which seems an awfully long address for "lens cap summaron" which is what I put in Amazon.co.uk. And I get "Jack the Hat Photographic". I'll order a Sunday one from them, and look for a 99p one as suggested by greene881 for ferias.

Beware

A36 is not for Summaron-M 28mm but for original Summaron 5.6/2.8cm screw mount.

The post #12 link is to A36 cap.

First day of 28mm ARON, some months ago, I wanted to put on it an old cap A36 from my Summar/Elmar, too small :o .

So bad, I could not use my lot of A36 push on filters on this brand new 28mm.

• Like 1

Beware

A36 is not for Summaron-M 28mm but for original Summaron 5.6/2.8cm screw mount.

Yes, the outside diameter of the Summaron-M is slightly larger than A36.

The OP might be better off buying a cheap E34 plastic pinch fit cap.