Getting an M240, now I need a starter lens, would love to hear your input :-)

jcatral14

I'd vote for a 28 mm (probably the Elmarit ASPH v2 rather than the Summaron although I do like the latter very much) and then the 50 mm Summilux ASPH (or the 75 mm Apo-Summicron) - and you will be done as long as you do not start to collect lenses. When you decide to stay with one lens only forever it had to be a 35 mm Summilux.

• Like 1

I'd first take a look at your current inventory of photos and see which focal length you use most.   The iPhone is more or less a 28mm FOV to give you an idea of what you are looking at....if you are not used to getting close to your subjects, and I mean close, I don't think you will be happy with your results.  The 50mm focal length gives you street options from more of a distance along with some portrait use as well.  For me, the 35mm is like a swiss army knife ...you have the wider FOV if needed; a few steps back gets you pretty wide; a few steps forward you are close to a 50mm.

So, just going on the above... 35FLE if you need the speed, 35Cron if you dont.  

The Summaron and an Elmar-M 50mm 2.8 would be great.  The Elmar-M is one of the most contrasty 50's, has modern Leica color's, and is sharp (the lastest one they made).  It's merely Canon fast, but since you mentioned the Summaron you will be fine.  A minty one is like $800.  Then you have plenty of money left to get it coded or whatever. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

First of all, you need to decide whether you want to spend your budget on one lens or two lenses.

When I started using a Leica M camera (the M9 back then), my original idea of a versatile two-lens kit was 35+90. But over time I slowly gravitated towards shorter focal lengths. For a couple of years, my most-used lens kit was 35+50. Today, I prefer 28+50. However, that depends on the camera. With M9 and M (Typ 240), the 28 mm focal length is awkward to use, due to the hard-to-see 28 mm framelines in the viewfinder. With analog M or with M10, the visibility of the 28 mm framelines is ... well, still not perfect but acceptable. So, after switching from M (Typ 240) to M10, the 28 mm focal length' status changed from 'unloved' to 'much appreciated.'

Anyway—for a starter lens, I'd stay away from the Summaron-M 28 mm. If you want a 28 mm lens then I'd suggest an Elmarit-M or Summicron-M. For a 50 mm lens, look at anything but the Noctilux-M (due to price, size, weight, and 1 m minimum focus distance; that's no starter lens). The Apo-Summicron-M 50 mm Asph is a wonderful lens but won't allow for a second lens, considering your budget. For a 35 mm lens, consider the Summilux-M or the Summarit-M; avoid the Summicron-M.

In any case, consider buying second-hand. For example, a used Summicron-M 28 mm Asph plus a used Summicron-M 50 mm easily are within your budget.

How old is your computer? (Maybe you need funds for a new one, too?)

A 2nd hand 1.4/35 FLE, 1-2k photos and you'll know more without our help.

Constantly changing lenses does not improve a beginner's results.

(Had 2 copies of the 2.0/28 - the lenshood took the front element off from both of them. Reminds me of the pre-FLE 1.4/35mm, that dropped in value considerably as the new= FLE came out.)

Edited by tri

What’s your experience with photography in terms of focal lengths? If the majority of your good work was with 50 then you could think of one very expensive 50. I would never spend so much money on a 50 as a start, because I feel restricted by its angle.

I did a China-Tibet travel with a 35FLE and some other lenses; 80% was made with the 35. This lens is a joy to work with in the field, but always comes up with surprises when you come home and see the results on your computer: it has that extra image quality you’re not counting on during your shoots. When I went to Peru I left it at home, because I just had my Summicron 28 new and found a 35 and a 28 a bit too much. This is also a wonderfull lens but it does what you expect it to do. I find the distance/closeness to the people you photograph most sympathetic with a 35, compared to a 28 or 50.

I find your idea of working 2 years with one lens a very good concept; you’ll get much more knowledge about it’s possibilitites than if you start with two lenses.

Edited by otto.f

50 is too limiting in this day and age.

You can always crop a 35mm image to 50mm and not lose a thing with an M-240.

You can’t do it the other way around.

1+ 

The weird thing about coming late to Leica after 3 decades of looking through a pentaprism is that when I saw more than the intended frame, for whatever reason, 50 did seem restricting (to me at least). 35 FOV on a RF "looked" more natural. 

• Like 1

Hello all,

If you were starting out and had roughly a $5k budget, what would you get?

I initially wanted to pick up the Summaron 28/5.6 and look for a pre-loved Summilux 50/1.4. The Summilux 35/1.4 FLE is also a good choice in my opinion and I can see myself happily using that lens exclusively for 2 years. Now a good friend told me to give the Summicron APO 50/2 a good look :o

Would love the hear your thoughts.

Many thanks and have a great weekend!

Jay

I’d suggest getting a 35 mm ‘cron as a start. If you were sure you were a 35 person and money isn’t a factor, the 35fle is one of the best lenses I’ve ever used on an M. The ‘cron is smaller and lighter and pretty easy to resell if you need to. The 28 summaron is a cool novelty lens, but isn’t very practical. The 50 APO is amazing, but frankly unless you are using a tripod or have exceptional technique, the difference in image quality between the APO and a regular cron or a 50 lux will be hard to realize. I prefer a 50lux Asph and sold my modern 50 ‘cron as soon as I bought the lux. The lux renders great, it feels great on an M and that extra stop comes in handy. Bottom line, I’d suggest you start with one lens and that the focal length should be 35.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Actually, starting out and not certain if a particular FOV even suits you, a cheaper option is the ZM 2,8/35. Tiny, relatively inexpensive and an exemplary performer. Focusing a FLE @ ƒ1.4 does take a bit of learning and requires perfect calibration of the RF; more leeway with ƒ2.8 when you're starting out. Same applies for the thrifty 50 Elmar M.

Both in line with the Barnack philosophy, and why many opted for "M" in the first place. Which the large & weighty ZM 1,4/35 is most definitely not.

Edited by james.liam
  • Like 1

Thank you all! I'm drawn to street photography and really like the 28 Summaron. Managed to pick one up but have to wait for it. In the interim, a good friend alerted me to a sweet deal on a pre-owned APO50/2 so I got that as well. I think my 28 + 50 combo will suit me for the next few years :ph34r:

Thanks again and I look forward to taking pictures again after a long time :)

• Like 1

28 and 50 is a very good combo

I don't want to rain on your parade but bright lenses get the best out of the system IMHO

In future when you get your next lens, consider Summilux 24mm 1.4, Zeiss 35m 1.4, Summilux 50mm 1.4 or Noctilux 50mm, Summilux 75mm 1.4 and APO 90mm

Good luck and enjoy!

• Like 1

28 and 50 is a very good combo

I don't want to rain on your parade but bright lenses get the best out of the system IMHO

In future when you get your next lens, consider Summilux 24mm 1.4, Zeiss 35m 1.4, Summilux 50mm 1.4 or Noctilux 50mm, Summilux 75mm 1.4 and APO 90mm

Good luck and enjoy!

Hi colonel,

Yes, definitely. Already thinking a 35/1.4 or 90/2APO is next. But I'll cross the bridge at a much later time ;-)

Best,

Jay

35 Summilux would be a good start. I started with a 35 Summicron and went to four countries with it this year on my M10. Loved it. I then picked up the Lux for a little better low light quality. I should have started with the Lux and skipped the Cron. I do want to state that the Cron did and would do me well. If the funds are there, grab the 35 Lux and live life. Can't go wrong on a rangefinder with a 35. 

After that, it is hard to say. Maybe try a Voigtlander or Zeiss to get a feel for another focal length without investing a fortune. 

I see you went the 28/50 route. Good choice too. Just enough difference between focal lengths to matter. 35 to 50 is sometimes not enough and other times just right.

Edited by 6bit
  • Like 1