Focus distance markings accuracy?

lincoln_m

Advertisement (gone after registration)

[...] If the Novoflex allowed me to use f4 with better IQ for £140 that might be worth it as I'm effectively at f8 for good IQ on the 35F2Asph now and anything wider just looks nasty in the corners. [...]

I have no experience with the A7 but i doubt the best adapter can do that. Main problem is the thick sensor stack here. Aside from using digital or film Leica bodies, the only solution i'm aware of is to have your sensor modded the same way as i did for my A7s. One of the very best moves i did in 30+ years of photography but it's just me.

• 3 years later...

Got curious and did a quick search on  leica M models  -  even the M1 does not have a focal plane symbol engraved it seems....so if one commits the sacrilege to mount anything that is not RF native (LOL), might have to rely on live view, EVF or pure luck (aka as experience)

Hello Phil,

It appears that the problem that Lincoln was having, in Post #1 of this Thread, was related to an improperly machined adapter. Leitz/Leica "M" cameras use a camera mounting flange to film/sensor standardized distance of 27.8mm for a standardized, by them, lens to be focused at Infinity. For example: The Moon.

Not all adapters made by other Companies are machined that precisely. That seems to be Lincoln's problem.

It appears that Lincoln's mismatch of marked distances on lenses & actual distances focused has to do with the imprecise machining of the adapter. 

By the way: Measuring from the front flange of an M3 & going back 27.8mm brings the measurer pretty much to the back of the accessory/flash shoe rail.

Some longer lenses & some mirror lenses have focusing mechanisms that focus beyond Infinity for various reasons.

Best Regards,

Michael

Hello Everybody,

A point of clarification:

In my Post #23, just above, I wrote that the focal plane of an M3 is at "the back of the accessory/flash shoe rail".

The "rail" that I am writing about is from the shorter "springy" set of rails that tension & keep the flash, etc. from falling out of the longer guide rails. The guide rails go to the back of the body, beyond the focal plane.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht