In the world of Fado music (4 photos)

stuny

Advertisement (gone after registration)

When in Lisbon last month we went to a restaurant with a Fado show.  These shows usually consist of multiple solo singers, accompanied by two guitarists:  One with a Portuguese guitar, which uses steel strings double strung like a 12-string Spanish guitar, but with different tuning than a Spanish guitar.  The second guitar is gut-stringed Spanish guitar.  The music is highly emotional, and can depict both joy and sadness.  Usually each singer performs a few songs, followed by a break, and then another singer performs.  there are seldom stages, and lighting is rather dim and fixed.  usually, the performers set-up between tables towards the middle of the restaurant.  Knowing the lighting would be dim I took only my back-up camera with me, the D-Lux 109 with its fast lens.  The first two photos are of the first singer of the night (excellent but least experienced of the four singers we saw), followed by the sign outside the establishment, and a photo of a Coimbra-style Portuguese guitar in the window of a music store in Coimbra.  The Lisboa style Portuguese guitar is larger, with a longer neck, is usually tuned to D (the Coimbra to C), and has fancy scroll work on the head.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 8

Outstanding lighting, I like both #1 and #2, while #3 and 4 put the story into context.

Thank you also for the background information on Fado.

I hope Barbara and you enjoyed Lisbon, it is one of my favourite cities.

Stefan