First Time Leic. Did I get robbed?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Recently acquired a Leica IIIc with a Ernst Leitz Wetzlar 9cm Elmar f4 lens for $200.  Some brassing, not too bad.  No chrome bubbles.  Slight chip in the Vulcanite but barely noticable.  The outside element on the lens has a difficult to see tiny chip in it, but otherwise the lens is free of scratches, haze and fungus.  All controls are very easy to read except the distance scale on the lens which is a bit faded but readable.  The aperture and focus rings turn smoothly.  Shutter fires.  But the shutter curtains didn't work correctly and the rangefinder was so dim it was useless.  Got a CLA performed to bring the shutter curtains back to normal operation and timed and had the rangefinder completely replaced and calibrated for $228.  Total of $428.  This is my first Leica and I know you don't get them on the cheap but this seems a bit much for a 70 year old camera, albeit fully functional.  Did I spend wisely or did I spend foolishly?  Thanks.

Pictures:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by ricklb55

welcome to leica and this forum first. if you go out shooting and have fun you spent wiseley. pricing of both camera and cla looks ok for me but i don't know prices in Texas. the only thing i have to notice is the flash sync which doesn't look original leica-like but will do his job, that was rather popular then. and now load some film and get a 50 elmar.

I agree it's reasonable for the model. With so many Leica collectors now prices are high compared to other film cameras. Back in the 1970s I bought a IIIf in a Dallas camera store for about $90. Decades later it had a CLA for about what you paid, but no parts replaced.

Leicas can be serviced to function as-new, and there are still good service techs available. I picked up a nice Contax II at a low price, but there is a 2-3 year waiting list for the one remaining service tech to even accept the job.

The bargain for film shooters is still Pentax, where you can pick up cameras that look new for well under $100, and a retired service manager from Pentax will service them quickly for similar low prices. You end up with a very capable camera, but not with the feel and precision that Leica still has.

It is when you have a family owned from new, black pre-war Leica and decide it needs a total rebuild including repainting, that the serious expenditure starts  :huh:   

I have my great uncle's Model III and had it totally rebuilt, repainted and recovered and it does look lovely but I could have bought a similar one for far less than the work cost me. However that would not have the family associations. I have no idea how it got into such poor condition, as my recollection of it when my uncle was using it in the 1950's, was it was in good condition. By the time I bought it from the widow of a cousin a year or so ago, it was not working, totally horrible and with no lens, so it was either throw it away or spend serious money on it.  It now looks good and works nearly perfectly. It is going back to the rebuilder to have a couple of minor things put right. The shutter release is rather "graunchy", making slow exposures difficult and the rewind selector lever is rather floppy, if working. I found quite a nice half case sitting in one of my cupboards. 

Wilson

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

The prices you paid seem reasonable, especially for the repairs. The chrome looks a bit odd (pitted) but I know finish on some lllc's was poor due to lack of materials at the time, so it kind of adds to the character of the camera.

You really need to buy a 5cm f3.5 Elmar for it now.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The prices you paid seem reasonable, especially for the repairs. The chrome looks a bit odd (pitted) but I know finish on some lllc's was poor due to lack of materials at the time, so it kind of adds to the character of the camera.

You really need to buy a 5cm f3.5 Elmar for it now.

I prefer the look of the 2.8 Elmar on the post war cameras with the longer body as it does not look as "spindly" as the 3.5 Elmar but that's just me.  :)

Wilson

The apparant pitting is actually an artifact of the digital camera and flash that recorded the image. In reality the chrome (brushed aluminum?) is quite smooth except near the rewind knob.

I'm not hearing any praise of the 9cm Elmar.  Putting aside the merits of a 5cm, is the Elmar 9cm not a good lens?   I had originally intended for my Jupiter 8 from my Zorki to do double duty but I discovered, as others have, that it does not focus accurately with my IIIc rangefinder.  As such I  have ordered a Canon 1.8 5cm ltm to be my primary lens because I have not yet found a Leitz 5cm lens with a price I can live with.  I was mostly inspired to purchase the Canon 5cm because I also have a Canon 3.5 13.5cm ltm and darn that is a good lens producing sharp images with great contrast.  Just don't drop it on your foot!

9cm Elmar is a classic lens and a fine Performer if the glas is in good condition. So don't worry about, just try it out. Canon 1.8/50 is also regarded as one of the finer classic lenses but you loose compactnes as it doesn't collapse. You'll find out what works best for you. And worst case is you will find out that you need them all :-)

Yes, the 9cm Elmar is good, but quite common so prices are relatively low. I have one from 1939 that still gives nice results.

The 5cm Elmar is the classic Leica lens. The f3.5 would be correct for the IIIc time period - the 2.8 came out in 1957.

I agree the Canon 50 1.8 is a very nice lens for these models. I use one on a IIIf

I use one of the Canon 5cm f1.8 "Hiroshi" lenses on a Leotax and it is a very good lens for the period. It is considerably higher resolution in the centre, than my contemporary Summitar and has far higher contrast. Like many fast lenses of the 1940's and 50's, when used wide open, it has a fair amount of spherical aberration at the edges and corners but the upside of this, is you get nicer looking bokeh than you get with later lenses. The coating is much more robust than the "drip" coating used on the post-war leica lenses  and most of the ones seem to have relatively intact front elements, compared with the well scrubbed look of many of the Leica lenses. The only downside is that it is a very heavy lens. It is heavier than for example, my 5cm/f1.5 Summarit. 

Wilson

Edited by wlaidlaw

I think the 9cm f4 Elmar is a lovely lens, especially for portraits. As long as it's a clean example it will give excellent results (taking the age of the design and uncoated or maybe single coated element).

The problem with the 9cm on a Barnack camera is that you need a Leica finder which has parallax correction and it's a little bit of a faff to use, dialling in the distance each time.

The TEWE multi focal length Zoom finder with parallax correction is IMHO about the best finder out there (covers 28mm to 200mm). You can pick one up for about half or less what you will pay for a nice Leitz SGVOO 90mm finder. I think the TEWE is a lot better than the VIDOM or the Zeiss turret finders. In theory with a IIIg, you can use the 90mm frame corners but it is a rather small picture to assess what you are taking. 

Wilson 

• Like 1

The 90 is a fine lens, as you will discover after shooting with it for a while. I typically use the hood on mine to reduce flare. The Canon 50/1.8 has been compared favorably to the Summicron of that era. I've been quite impressed with mine. Now that you've had the CLA, go out and shoot a lot to reap the benefits of having a fine old classic.