First Time Leic. Did I get robbed?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The numbers start on most of them at 35 but the zoom ring twists beyond 35 to be very close to 28mm. There were a very few that had 28mm marked (or so I have been told).

Wilson

Luigi is correct, the TEWE range is 35-200mm. 28mm view was obtained by using a front optical attachment which 'increased' the angle to that of a 28mm lens. Same idea as the Leica 'goggles' for 35mm lenses.

Most TEWE finders have lost their 28mm attachment over the years though....

Cheers,

Jan

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I467 using Tapatalk

Luigi is correct, the TEWE range is 35-200mm. 28mm view was obtained by using a front optical attachment which 'increased' the angle to that of a 28mm lens. Same idea as the Leica 'goggles' for 35mm lenses.

Most TEWE finders have lost their 28mm attachment over the years though....

Cheers,

Jan

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I467 using Tapatalk

I would refer you to Roger Hicks' article http://www.rogerandfrances.com/subscription/tewe%20polyfocus.html. My TEWE goes noticeably beyond 35mm and for all practical purposes is near enough to 28mm, without the add on wide angle lens. A previous owner of a TEWE, says he did have the wide angle adapter at some point and if he finds it, will pass it on to me. As I don't have any 28mm LTM lenses and have an individual 21mm finder for my 21mm LTM lens, it is not a great concern to me. 

Wilson

Edited by wlaidlaw

Wilson,

With all respect to the very knowledgeable Roger Hicks, his (and probably yours too) TEWE finder focal length scale must have been re-positioned - this can be 'accomplished' by tightening the set-screws with the scale in an incorrect position. The scale should not turn past the 35mm at the long index mark and 200mm at the short index mark - that is how it was set up when new.

In the attached photo you can see the scale at its outermost points of travel - 35mm at infinity and 200mm at 1m. The short index mark provides the reduced view at 1m (approximately…), whilst the long index mark is for infinity. Correctly, the red 'blob' on the scale is for a 30mm lens when the 28mm attachment is used.

And yes, the TEWE finder is indeed one of the best multifocus viewfinders, with an almost identical Nikon finder being just about the same in quality and viewing ease.

Cheers,

Jan

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by doubice
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Ok the thing is that just about everyone pays a bit more for their first Leica, usually because we don't know at that stage that it needs repair. There are the mint M3 stories fished out of the garbage can with a black 8 element etc but they are Leica lore.

I won my first Leica - a iiif black dial that I mistakenly thought was a iiic because it had a iiic manual - with a summitar for $175 on ebay in 2008. Such a deal I thought!! The shutter curtains were full of holes and the summitar had an odd steak of color in the front. Youxin fixed the body for around $180 but the lens didn't need cleaning. It wasn't fungus; the elements were separated. Youxin verdict: parts lens.

So you did all right. Take some photos with it.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well, if it was all done correctly,  and it sees no abuse- well, maybe only moderate abuse- while in your hands, you have a camera and lens that will last for the rest of your life.......Even if you shoot it on a daily basis. If a person were going to invest the amount of money you have, with the idea of obtaining a reliable camera for use, you would be hard pressed to find a better camera to invest in.

But then, I am extremely prejudiced when it comes to Barnack Leicas.

As one motorcycle company used to advertise: "The money is soon forgotten; the quality long remembered."

37961924921_bbcd3b8f9b_b.jpgNever any good, anyway. by W P_, on Flickr

IIIA, 50mm 2.5 Hektor, Foma 100