Go back to the M or stay with the SL

jimleicam3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yeah but you do have to deal with rangefinders that go out of adjustment or lenses the need to be sent out to match the body for perfect focus. I am not a landscape photographer so focusing to infinity is never huge issue for me...From a practical standpoint I think a rangefinder going out of focus and needing to be adjusted is a bigger potential issue for most people.

Indeed, you have to value a bit the charm of the mechanics of a rangefinder. A rangefinder is an obsolete idea alltogether, there’s no arguing there. But that’s the whole idea of Leica and the base of its existence until now: rangefinder photography. Leica was never very good in SLR bodies. And the SL, sorry, but the Japanese offer much better options. If we go bulky I think I’d prefer a Canon 5d mark -ty, or Nikon 8-ty

To the OP. I suspect you have discovered you want both, which, in Leica-world, means you need both. I have both as well, and they both have their place, and are used for the appropriate work. The SL for portrait sessions, events and if I want to use the long tele zoom, while the M (240 in my case) is for travel etc.  If you can afford both, get both. If you can't, then you've got a problem, because you know you really need both........

• Like 3