24-90 vs SL50

proenca

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I wonder how fast the zooms on the SL2 will be if Leica were to license in this technology from Panasonic for it: https://camerajabber.com/panasonic-dfd-focusing-explained/

"In order for DFD technology to work the camera needs to know the level of micro contrast that a lens can achieve and understand its bokeh,..." Who better to apply this than Leica.  :)   

They shouldn't bother with the Clooney if it doesn't include DFD focusing.

I wonder how fast the zooms on the SL2 will be if Leica were to license in this technology from Panasonic for it: https://camerajabber.com/panasonic-dfd-focusing-explained/

"In order for DFD technology to work the camera needs to know the level of micro contrast that a lens can achieve and understand its bokeh,..." Who better to apply this than Leica. :)

They shouldn't bother with the Clooney if it doesn't include DFD focusing.

Wouldn’t they simply end up about as fast as the lenses on the Panasonic M43 cameras?

I haven’t noticed those cameras being any better than normal PDAF systems I’ve used.

Where did this notion that the SL zooms aren't fast come from? Speed and accuracy of focus is not a problem I find with them. As a matter of fact, without 20:20 foresight and machine mind reading skills any lens could be made faster, but I can think of other characteristics of these lenses that I would like changed first (lower weight and size, wider aperture etc). I spent yesterday evening photographing a public lecture in a church hall yesterday evening with the 90-280SL handheld, mostly requiring ISOs towards 12500. I set focus to face recognition and left it there. It hunted once or twice in the evening, otherwise always found focus quickly. It occasionally picked out the wrong face in the audience, but a slight adjustment in where I pointed the camera sorted that. What was I wishing the lens could do better: zoom straight from close-up on a face at 280mm to an overview of the hall at 24mm, without changing lenses!

• Like 1

Where did this notion that the SL zooms aren't fast come from? Speed and accuracy of focus is not a problem I find with them.

Arguably, for sports/action with tracking they are probably not quite up there with PDAF systems. They may be useable but I’ve seen posts of pros here who were nervous to take only the SL with them. And I've read posts from SL users who are keeping their DSLRs for sports/action. 

I was thinking ahead. Where does Leica need to be with the SL and the Clooney five years from now? To move beyond a niche and build a "system" that covers a broader range of photography applications it needs to stay close behind Sony in terms of sensor technology (I'm assuming they will never close the gap completely) and it needs to improve on AF speed. Unarguably, they have good partners for sensor technology as we’ve seen with the SL and the M10. For AF systems their partner is likely Panasonic. As processor speed increases and as Panasonic continuous to refine their DFD technology, it could be a solution for Leica to close the gap there. Combine that with their superb lenses (more micro-contrast and depth rendering :) ) and the right pricing and they could become more widely used. Actually, I’m the least optimistic on the last point. Let’s just hope that video won’t kill photography by then.

Edited by Chaemono

Arguably, for sports/action with tracking they are probably not quite up there with PDAF systems. They may be useable but I’ve seen posts of pros here who were nervous to take only the SL with them. And I've read posts from SL users who are keeping their DSLRs for sports/action. 

Tracking is different. The SL tracks well (I've used it for dancing but not other activities), but it could certainly be better.

The adverse comments here just referred to focusing speed.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

First off, I think that Neil is entitled to his opinion, and I thank him for posting it, even if I disagree. Folks, it was well intentioned and this is a forum where opinions are expressed. Perhaps, after hearing our opinions, he may go back and revisit his tests with the SL, since he probably has access. I am guessing, he tried it when it was new, without the current firmware updates to the camera.

The next SL will be even faster, and it will hopefully have some of Panasonics latest tech.

https://www.43rumors.com/ft3-new-panasonic-mft-camera-new-g9-top-plate-lcd/

I see that Leica Rumours report is now referring to a mirrorless EVF camera with L-mount.  That could be way more than a TL2 with built in EVF.

The real issue will initially be more subtle - Leica has it's S series of portable medium format, SL & M full frame format and TL2 APS-C format.  With each format, there is a shift in functionality - the TL2 is not just a small SL; it has a significant reduction in functionality, notwithstanding that it is also 24MP albeit in smaller acreage.

So, are we looking at a small, relatively unspectacular addition to the TL group (adding built in EVF) and maybe a couple of lens announcements, or something more?  Leica is primarily a lens designer and manufacturer, and their lenses offer more than their cameras use.  Could we be looking at something new in the S system as well as a new full frame L mount camera?

Christmas is coming ...

Edited by IkarusJohn

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I see that Leica Rumours report is now referring to a mirrorless EVF camera with L-mount.  That could be way more than a TL2 with built in EVF.

The real issue will initially be more subtle - Leica has it's S series of portable medium format, SL & M full frame format and TL2 APS-C format.  With each format, there is a shift in functionality - the TL2 is not just a small SL; it has a significant reduction in functionality, notwithstanding that it is also 24MP albeit in smaller acreage.

So, are we looking at a small, relatively unspectacular addition to the TL group (adding built in EVF) and maybe a couple of lens announcements, or something more?  Leica is primarily a lens designer and manufacturer, and their lenses offer more than their cameras use.  Could we be looking at something new in the S system as well as a new full frame L mount camera?

Christmas is coming ...

I don't care what they call it or what color it is.............. As long as it is full frame and I can screw my Noctilux into it I'm buying it :)

Neil

• Like 1

Here's my guess. The CL needs to grow the TAM (total addressable market) and increase Leica's SOW (share of wallet) with existing customers. Growing the TAM implies not cannibalising existing sales. So forget about FF. The CL will therefore likely be a beautifully designed 24 MP APS-C camera with an unrivalled EVF in its class and very snappy AF, most likely the latest AF system licensed in from Panasonic. :)