What is this line?

Timkr

I was shooting this past weekend on a golf course and noticed a handful of my shots had a horizontal line, all in the same place. Most shots were fine. Here is a link to one with the line.

https://timrutledge.smugmug.com/Florida-Sept-2017/i-j2RQtQQ

I am hoping it's not the sensor or shutter, just something simple. Thanks for the help.

When I overlaid 2 of your images with the fault. The pixels align. I think it's unlikely to be anything but a sensor fault.

SL is very different from M8 in all possible ways.  The reason for these sort of artifacts on M8 was its slow (by today's standards) processor, performance of which could be affected by temperature.

SL has a much better heat management system than any digital M camera, and is not prone to overheating even in relatively high ambient temperatures. It can shoot 120fps 1080p video until the battery dies (to an external recorder, otherwise there is a 30 min limit), and you won't be able to tell the difference between the first ten seconds of the footage and the last frame in terms of the noise level. Same with 4K, but since SL uses only about 65% of the sensor surface area, this is not a valid comparison.

Thanks, Irakly, I'm totally in agreement with you. It's just that in the OP's case, I believe the sensor is faulty, not it's technology. Two of his images' faulty pixels align uncannily close so I think it's a source based fault rather than something that occurred down the image pipeline. If the fault occurs down the pipeline, the faulty pixels shouldn't align due to minute differences in data stored on card.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So, I put a new 32gb uhs ii card in (slot 1), formatted it, set iso to 6400 in high burst. Fired off a couple of hundred shots and none showed the line. For now, i’m Going to assume it was a card issue. Thanks

That's good. I'd rather be wrong in my analysis than for you to endure a sensor problem. Take care!