Experiences with Wifi sd cards on M9/M9M/M8.2?

RvN

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just read on this forum that some M9 users use wifi sd cards. I am using my m9 and m9m on weddings and getting back-up copies during the shoot would be perfect. Could use an Ipad to receive back-up files. Would give me an alternative for a second card slot.

Can users please join their experiences. Does it really work?! Is it reliable? No banding issues or whatever? Which cards seem to work?

Edited by RvN

I've used Toshiba wifi card (1st gen) on the M9. The card doesn't automatically back up the files in a different device. Rather you will need to link up the device with the card via the latter's wifi network in order to access the file folder and the photos. You will also need to click open each photo and save it manually. 

The card works quite well in that it fulfills all the functions it says it has. But I have indeed come across banding when using it in very low light and underexposing quite a lot. I do know that underexposing generally runs the risk of introducing banding in the dark areas of the image, but I've done comparisons in the same environment with the same shooting parameters using the wifi card and a regular card (a Sandisk card in this case), and similar banding consistently showed up in the wifi card shots. 

Outside these extremely light-starved conditions the wifi card works quite OK. It does drain the battery sooner tho, as one could well expect. 

Edited by Rus

I just found a reasonable priced EyeFi Pro 32GB sd card. Seems that it is not supported by apple oS11 anymore. Will see how it works. If it doesn't work i can try the Toshiba air w-03 system.

More experiences and maybe detailed setup feedback on how to use the Eyefi or Toshiba system on M9 type camera is still appreciated.

Edited by RvN

• 3 weeks later...

If wireless transfer is important to you, definitely consider the M10.  It works great on that camera.  It's a totally different experience than using the EyeFi card on an M9.  The EyeFi card does work...but it's just not designed correctly.  Five years ago I made a video explaing how much I loved the EyeFi card on the M9.  Over the years, I came to like the EyeFi less and less -especially once they began changing the way the software worked.  I made a second video a couple of years ago detailing why I disliked the newer version of the card.  The two videos can be viewed at the links below:

and

Edited by John Ricard
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...