Hunting trip photography advice.....

Linford

Hunting is also much about eating, surviving and being part of the balance of nature. The world is large, and you might understand your particular locale is profoundly different than thousands of others.

I shoot for two reasons (other than companionship) (1) I like to eat what I kill (duck, pheasant, wild pig & deer). Wild game tastes very different to the domesticated version, and most of the time they have had a nice time in the wild, and (2) vermin (possums, goats and other nasties).

Ethically, I have no problem with it at all. It’s a challenge, it’s good to eat and environmentally sound.

Edit - duck breast, cooked medium rare, with a stock, Grand Marnier and orange juice reduction, lentils, jersey benne potatoes and a Martinborough pinot noir ... mmmm

• Like 2

I shoot for two reasons (other than companionship) (1) I like to eat what I kill (duck, pheasant, wild pig & deer). Wild game tastes very different to the domesticated version, and most of the time they have had a nice time in the wild, and (2) vermin (possums, goats and other nasties).

Ethically, I have no problem with it at all. It’s a challenge, it’s good to eat and environmentally sound.

Edit - duck breast, cooked medium rare, with a stock, Grand Marnier and orange juice reduction, lentils, jersey benne potatoes and a Martinborough pinot noir ... mmmm

Now I'm hungry!

Duck and deer are my thing, I like my meat to have been raised naturally with no hormones or antibiotics, it just tastes so much better. I also buy a 1/4 cow annually from a local farmer who raises his cattle that way, 100% natural, the taste difference is hard to believe.

• Like 2

My mate (Molly) has been typified as as an old die-hard hippie. Okay. When she sat in the boat as her father shot ducks, Molly managed two conflicting thoughts: "Gosh I hate killing, and I do so much love duck." Her father kept a large freezer of game to sustain his family. What can be wrong? (Except I am not so inclined to hunt.)

Another episode was when we lived on the retired farm before we adopted a Great Pyrenees and Coyote were so bold to be on our door step at sunrise. "You shoot them and I will make you a winter vest of 'em for you." Frankly, I was shocked, but I believed her. Dinna  doubt an Irish woman. Thankfully the Great Pyrenees made the issue moot.

Edited by pico

Please upload images for display to the photo forums, not the technical ones. And have a look at you pixel count. These are miniscule.

jaapv, give him a break!  It took me a while to learn to do it right.

Linford, I enjoyed the pictures, despite the limitations (rudely) pointed out by jaapv.  You obviously enjoyed your day out hunting, and "shot well"

Guy