Robert M Poole

Doors. Open thread

These are very nice. I've never been successful at photographing these doors. Unless you've tried, you don't know how difficult it is. 

Thanks very much. My main problem with this shot was the light. I was inside of the museum and as you know, there is not much light in a museum. But I guess my Leica CL did a decent job! :)

On 10/26/2017 at 2:17 PM, AntonioF said:

Side door of the Chiesa di Santa Chiara (aka della Morte), Francavilla Fontana (Italy). Too bad the guy is not walking towards the door. One day I'm gonna stand there a take another one.

M6, Summicron 35 asph, Tri-X400

DSCF0463 by antoniofedele, on Flickr

On 10/26/2017 at 6:22 PM, erl said:

Actually, I like it as it is! The man moving away gives it a bit of tension. Walking towards it would be a cliche by comparision.

Be happy with it as it is.

On 10/27/2017 at 5:20 AM, HighlandK said:

That is a very good point and one I overlook in my own compositions too often. Like asymmetry, which it can involve, it can be difficult to get right but here I think it does work because the composition is simple with two main elements.

I, too, think that the image is MUCH stronger with the man walking away from the door.

You have also put the door within its larger context, which (to me at least) is much more meaningful and response provoking than the door all by itself.  As I scan the images in this thread--all of which are otherwise fantastic in themselves--the ones I react most to and which cause me to linger and admire longer are those that capture the door(s) within the story of its/their surroundings.  Great job and thank you!

32 minutes ago, FHPdoc said:

I, too, think that the image is MUCH stronger with the man walking away from the door.

You have also put the door within its larger context, which (to me at least) is much more meaningful and response provoking than the door all by itself.  As I scan the images in this thread--all of which are otherwise fantastic in themselves--the ones I react most to and which cause me to linger and admire longer are those that capture the door(s) within the story of its/their surroundings.  Great job and thank you!

Thanks for your comment. I do agree with your point.