Which Profile for Voigtlander 10mm F5.6???

Donzo98

Yeah... that's how I have been using it. I just don't like that I have to REALLY pay attention to the ISO. Since it has no profile... It basically stays at ISO 50, since that's my minimum for AUTO ISO. I was shooting inside yesterday, and was wondering why my SS was 1 sec :) Bumped up the ISO after I figured it out...

YK-3.JPG

Edited by Donzo98
  • Like 2

Yeah... that's how I have been using it. I just don't like that I have to REALLY pay attention to the ISO. Since it has no profile... It basically stays at ISO 50, since that's my minimum for AUTO ISO. I was shooting inside yesterday, and was wondering why my SS was 1 sec :) Bumped up the ISO after I figured it out...

The best ISO for SL is actually 200. At ISO50 its dynamic range is compressed, and you are most likely clipping highlights that otherwise would have been preserved.

• Like 1

The best ISO for SL is actually 200. At ISO50 its dynamic range is compressed, and you are most likely clipping highlights that otherwise would have been preserved.

This seems to be true, but in my practical tests the difference is so small that it's really not much of an issue, nearly insignificant in all but the most critical cases. That said, I usually have mine set to ISO 200 or AutoISO with the range from 200 to 3200 setup (now that the latest firmware enabled the AutoISO bottom limit setting to work correctly...). Many, many years of working with transparency film ensures that I naturally watch out (and don't shoot) situations where highlight clipping is an issue: it's just a waste of effort. :)

I use ISO 50 when I'm going for larger lens openings in daylight. 

This seems to be true, but in my practical tests the difference is so small that it's really not much of an issue, nearly insignificant in all but the most critical cases. That said, I usually have mine set to ISO 200 or AutoISO with the range from 200 to 3200 setup (now that the latest firmware enabled the AutoISO bottom limit setting to work correctly...). Many, many years of working with transparency film ensures that I naturally watch out (and don't shoot) situations where highlight clipping is an issue: it's just a waste of effort. :)

I use ISO 50 when I'm going for larger lens openings in daylight. 

Thanks, I'll set my standard profile this way

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Vieri wrote a piece on this lens, used on the SL, just recently: 

https://vieribottazzini.com/2016/08/voigtlander-heliar-hyper-wide-10mm-f5-6-review.html

If I recall correctly from that, I think he leaves it un-profiled and uses the Adobe lens corrections.

Thank you Godfrey, yes I can confirm that, no profile in camera and profile in Adobe Camera Raw is the best way to work with this lens. Great performer, btw! :D

Best regards,

Vieri