M5 rewind knob troubleshooting please help

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I got a beautiful m5 yesterday and really enjoyed shooting my first roll with it. When I finished the roll I went to rewind it and noticed no tension whatsoever in the knob. I ruined my roll by opening the base plate and examining what was going on. It seems the knob isn't engaging with the film canister and just spinning freely. I have tried a different roll but no matter what the rewind lever will not rewind a roll of film. I can't find any help online on this topic. Is my baseplate no good?

The part of the M5 baseplate making contact with the cassette should be notched, and must move corresponding notches inside the cassette spool. Perhaps you cassette spool does not have these notches? The same rule applies to the Leica CL.

This is what it looks like. Is something missing? It doesn't seem long enough to reach the notches.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Zotzaxolotl

It should look like this. It seems you're missing the top bit with the two lugs that actually engage the cassette.  Those two little lugs are pushed up by a little spring below.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by M9reno
  • Like 1

Your best bet would be to ask one of the repair persons listed in a sticky thread elsewhere in the forum.  Depending on where you are located, there are choices in the US or Europe.

If all else fails, there is the option of buying a new base plate.  A search turned up this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leica-M5-Base-plate-Chrome-Old-stock-/112567533667?hash=item1a358c4063:g:b70AAOSwpINZaP3t