I get it.

JDFlood

Advertisement (gone after registration)

JD,

Welcome. I'm delighted that you're pleased with your M10. I'm also really happy with mine having come from a M9.

I've no problem with your enjoying the finer things in life. Wrist watches have sadly passed me by - that's a challenge when you're washing hands constantly in my day job as a surgeon. Hi-Fi and pens - now I'm with you there. Curious to know more about your pre-amp - tube or SS? I've migrated away from vinyl (Platine Verdier) to Reel to reel tape with a brace of Studers, a brace of Sony APR 500s and an Otari MTR12.

Enjoy your M10 :)

Charlie

I have that watch! NIB.

Speaking to affluence, a friend of mine is thinking of separating from his very long-time girlfriend. He said he would leave her the house, but "What can I do that is delayed, just plain mean?" I suggested leaving her  a sixties Rolls Royce.

Edited by pico

Now a 1960 RR Silver Cloud S2/3 or Bentley S2/3 would be great. Even better if it were a Bentley R Continental Drophead - now that is a seriously beautiful car.

Are you serious or supporting my post? The Silver Cloud is a money pit. No?

Pico,

Sorry if I didn't get the gist of your post. I was merely stating that the classic S1/2/3 or Silver Cloud 1/2/3 are seriously nice cars - probably the last RR/Bentley models, which aren't reliant on electronics and can be kept going by skilled mechanics. My Dad had a S3 and that was just lovely. Our wedding car 25 years ago was the late Queen Mother's Phantom VI :)

Charlie

• Like 1

So glad the originator of this thread 'gets' the M10: many of us, having pursued the latest in SLRs have found a return of calm, and thus enjoyment of photography, using a rangefinder.

An anecdote regarding watches: back in the early 1980s, I was given a (fairly) 'high-end' quartz analogue watch to celebrate passing a professional examination. I revelled in its accuracy, checking it daily against time signals. I enjoyed the simplicity of changing time zones, only adjusting the hour hand. Mechanical watches were so passé. A few months later, dozing on a beach on a Greek island, my wife asked when we were going to have lunch? I glanced at my remarkable watch - it was only 11.15, so no rush, surely? A while later, it was still 11.15... the battery had failed. On a Greek island, AA cells were available, but hardly any other batteries, certainly not (at that time) anything for a new quartz watch, which was thus completely useless until we returned home.

Over the next few years, I rediscovered the pleasures of mechanical watches. Absolute to-the-second accuracy is rarely needed - if you're expecting to catch your train, or 'plane, to the second, you can't afford to trip on the stairs, or drop your newspaper on the way! I find accepting the slight variability of mechanical watches very similar to using the rangefinder on my M10 - not the latest or most accurate means to an end, but pleasing to use.

One thing I did learn was always to have a spare battery for any camera I'm using. When I ordered the M10, I ordered the spare battery at the same time.

• 2 weeks later...

I buy a watch for two sorts of timing.  One is showing up for Skype and similar conference calls on time (well, at least to within the minute), and the other is flying, timing instrument approaches in the pre-gps days where you were required to calculate the number of seconds flown past a fix before you had to either see the runway or start climbing rapidly back to a safe altitude ("go missed").  Really the principal requirement for both is a set of hands and especially a second hand that you can see easily and read accurately.  Elegant and expensive watches usually don't offer the best answer to these requirements.

Of course time from the phone company, or the network time provided in any operating system, is good around the world to a few seconds.  So I notice none of my students has a watch any more -- just a smartphone with a data plan.

While I can appreciate the need for a fairly accurate watch when flying, a hobby that just became too expensive for me after buying a farm, I don't see a huge need in my own little world for precise timekeeping to the second.  However, I do spend a little extra money for Tag Heuer quality since the days of when I was doing mixed gas decompression dives, usually in the overhead environment of a cave, where I would be going much deeper than standard recreational limits.  With this, I required a watch that would more importantly stand up to the pressures of dives that would routinely go up to and sometimes over 100 meters.  While I enjoy the quality of build and the advances of my M10, I still appreciate the ability of my M6 to be able to function long after the battery dies (and like in technical diving, where redundancy is built in, I carry a spare battery for the M6 too).  It's all about risk management, if the risk is there, then choose the right tools for the task, regardless of the price.  If I was shooting instrument approaches, I would like a nice mechanical watch on my wrist too.

To JDFlood, the OP - do yourself a favour and buy some very fine photographic books. I suggest you start with "Senza Parole" by the late Marc Lagrange. Or maybe a book of Andreas Bitesnich's photos. Or perhaps a book of photos by Jean-Loup Sieff, my favourite (a Leica user, how so relevant). If beautiful women are not your subject of interest, then maybe the "Genesis" by Sebastiano Salgado could be a good starting point. Spend some time with those books, with a glass of expensive (or even affordable) red wine at hand. Then you may start appreciating the finer things in life. The subject, the expression, the light, the composition. Who gives a s..t about the camera used.  :) (written with the assistance of a glass or two or four of very fine Wachau Riesling).

• Like 2