Leica Thambar-M 90mm f/2.2

Mistral75

Advertisement (gone after registration)

According to Nokishita Camera, Leica will announce later this year and release during the first half of 2018 the Thambar-M 90mm f/2.2, a modernised version of the famous Leitz Thambar 9cm f:2.2 of the late 1930s, a portrait lens with adjustable blur.

https://twitter.com/nokishita_c/status/913361959780798464

http://www.nokishita-camera.com/2017/09/thambar-m-90mm-f22.html

The picture below is that of the Thambar 9cm, not the new version.

leitz_10.jpg

Edited by Mistral75
  • Like 1

The optical diagram of the historical Thambar is a simplified version of that of the Hektor. 

Thambar90-coupe.gif

To obtain the blur (if desired), it is necessary to screw in front of the lens a special "filter" (for lack of a better word, this one being inappropriate) which, in fact, is a clear glass whose centre is an opaque disc made by silvering. This disc eliminates the light rays whose path is close to the optical axis (those which confer the maximum sharpness) in order to let only pass the peripheral rays.  Some residual aberrations (notably spherical aberration) are thus deliberately used to obtain the desired effect, which results in a kind of halo nimbing the image, softening its fine details without masking them.  It is possible to control the extent of this halo and attenuate it by using the aperture, which - as soon as it begins to be closed - interrupts the path of the more peripheral rays (those which bring the most aberrations).  With this additional "filter" one shall only stop down to f/9;  with a lesser aperture there would be not interval for the light rays to pass through between the central disc and the aperture.

Edited by Mistral75

Hmmm... the "nostalgy trend" started with Summaron 5,6... :huh: ; of course it shall be a matter of price... I mean, for adjusting blur you have dozens of applications (some of them even very specialized) and I'd say that anyone with a Summicron 90 can achieve any effect he likes... of course for Leica passionates (for the ones who love the oldies), Thambar is a famous/legendary brand... but personally I doubt that would like to spend a "special" price for such a lens... I mean, in my view it could be "correctly" priced, if introduced, in the range 1000-1500 Euros (which isn't anyway a bargain price, but you know ...Leica... :huh: )

• Like 4

(...) I mean, in my view it could be "correctly" priced, if introduced, in the range 1000-1500 Euros (which isn't anyway a bargain price, but you know ...Leica... :huh: )

You realise that the Summaron-M 28 mm f/5.6 costs €2,200 and a Leitz Thambar between €2,500 and €5,000 (latest actual transactions on eBay), don't you?

• Like 1

To obtain the blur (if desired), it is necessary to screw in front of the lens a special 'filter' ...

This is not entirely true. Even without this center-blocking filter, the Thambar's image, at wide apertures, will be pretty soft due to deliberately under-corrected spherical aberrations. The filter just amplifies the softness ... however at a price: the out-of-focus blur will look terrible, with lots of blur rings, or 'donuts,' instead of blur disks, just like a catadioptric mirror lens.

So the filter enhances the in-focus softness but degrades the out-of-focus blur—it causes an awful bokeh, as we would say today.

• Like 1

Thambar is a famous/legendary brand... but personally I doubt that would like to spend a "special" price for such a lens... I mean, in my view it could be "correctly" priced, if introduced, in the range 1000-1500 Euros (which isn't anyway a bargain price, but you know ...Leica... :huh: )

I think the Summaron has sold above expectation and there’s no reason why the Thambar shouldn’t also sell to those who are curious. Leica doesn’t really sell anything for €1000 though - I think we’ll be looking at €3000+ for a re-released Thambar.

According to Nokishita Camera, Leica will announce later this year and release during the first half of 2018 the Thambar-M 90mm f/2.2, a modernised version of the famous Leitz Thambar 9cm f:2.2 of the late 1930s, a portrait lens with adjustable blur.

https://twitter.com/nokishita_c/status/913361959780798464

http://www.nokishita-camera.com/2017/09/thambar-m-90mm-f22.html

As I can‘t read Japanese I can only presume: If someone posted on Twitter, that he had the biggest crowd ever, and would do something or other very soon and very bigly - would you believe it was true?

• Like 2

As I can‘t read Japanese I can only presume: If someone posted on Twitter, that he had the biggest crowd ever, and would do something or other very soon and very bigly - would you believe it was true?

I assume you don't know about Nokishita Camera. What they post, either on Twitter or on their blog, is very reliable and can be taken as "advanced announcements".

This is not entirely true. Even without this center-blocking filter, the Thambar's image, at wide apertures, will be pretty soft due to deliberately under-corrected spherical aberrations. The filter just amplifies the softness ... however at a price: the out-of-focus blur will look terrible, with lots of blur rings, or 'donuts,' instead of blur disks, just like a catadioptric mirror lens.

So the filter enhances the in-focus softness but degrades the out-of-focus blur—it causes an awful bokeh, as we would say today.

ja das schreckliches Bokeh ist absolut kontraproduktiv vs. einer positiven bildanmutung - Weshalb dann die wiedergeburt einer sochen linse?

Leica sollte besser eine SL mit APS-sensor und weitere Objektive mit TL-mount designen.    

• Like 1

I assume you don't know about Nokishita Camera. What they post, either on Twitter or on their blog, is very reliable and can be taken as "advanced announcements".

Does Nokishita mention any sources? Google-Translate mentions "overseas" - not really specific, or is it? 

What are your sources to trust them in this case?

Does Nokishita mention any sources? Google-Translate mentions "overseas" - not really specific, or is it? 

What are your sources to trust them in this case?

They never mention any source, they only make the distinction between Japanese sources and foreign ones.

I trust them because I have been following them since approximately two years (they had a different address in the past, .blogspot.com) and I don't remember them being wrong once.

They never mention any source, they only make the distinction between Japanese sources and foreign ones.

I trust them because I have been following them since approximately two years (they had a different address in the past, .blogspot.com) and I don't remember them being wrong once.

I trust myself and know many people who trust me. I am shure I never told any false stories online. I was born close to Wetzlar and still know some people there. No need to go overseas.

If I posted they will bring a new 1:3.5/5cm Elmar Apo.Asph next May - would this be a confirmation that they really will do so?

• Like 1

I trust myself and know many people who trust me. I am shure I never told any false stories online. I was born close to Wetzlar and still know some people there. No need to go overseas.

If I posted they will bring a new 1:3.5/5cm Elmar Apo.Asph next May - would this be a confirmation that they really will do so?

Just do it and we'll know by next May whether you are still to be trusted :p .

• Like 2