New TSA Requirements at U. S. Airports

LeicaFan1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Airport security rules will only make sense when we understand airline pricing policies. 

Last Month - Ben Gurion, Tel Aviv; leave everything including laptops in the bag. Scan through and no problem. 

Month before at London City: "should I take my camera and lenses out?" "No sir that is OK". "Whose bag is this, we would like to inspect it". Mine. Personnel couldnt understand why camera and lenses were opaque to their machine. 15 mins later they had removed and swabbed everything. We had a lovely chat about photography and cooking and recipes for lamb curries. 

So now, US airports are into inspecting everything. Fine. 

One tip - I always put all my cables, batteries and chargers into a separate see through bag - nothing more suspicious than batteries and coiled copper cables. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

When we traveled from US to London and on to Edinburgh in September, I never opened my camera bag through security. I had an SL with 234-90 attached and M10 with 50 attached in the bag plus extra batteries for both. The only thing I had to pull out separately was my iPad mini and that was in London. For some reason we had to go through security again when transferring planes at Heathrow. It will all change next week I am sure.

• 4 weeks later...

TSA PreCheck and Global Entry are good things. It took about six weeks from application to wallet-sized card, and that's living in a city (Philadelphia) that actually conducts the personal interview in its airport. I believe it costs somewhere around $100 now, but was a little bit cheaper three years ago when I went through the process. 

Unfortunately, as someone pointed out, PreCheck is not always available, so you end up in the cattle-herd waiting for your turn in line. As in most things governmental there is wide variability of search practice: some agents don't care and wave you through after a glance, others are going for the "Biggest Asshole to Travelers" award and hassle man, woman and child without distinction.

It is a crapshoot and underlines how miserable air travel has become in the United States.

• Like 1