New TSA Requirements at U. S. Airports

LeicaFan1

Here you go:   http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-tsa-electronics-screening-20170726-story.html

The solution to avoiding heartache is apparently to get enrolled in TSA PreCheck -

"...In the U.S., the new security measures do not apply to passengers enrolled in TSA PreCheck, the program that lets travelers who submit to a government background check use expedited screening lines. Such travelers do not need to remove their shoes, belts or light outerwear or pull liquids or electronics out of their carry-on bags..."

• Like 1

Unfortunately, I have an upcoming trip and the TSA pre check takes a few weeks to process. I can' see my beloved M bodies and lenses rolling around in the bottom of a plastic bin.   

According to:     https://petapixel.com/2017/07/26/tsa-requires-separate-screening-cameras-airports-now/  

"The camera will need to have nothing above or below it, similar to how laptops have already been screened at airports for years now."

Edited by LeicaFan1

Unfortunately, I have an upcoming trip and the TSA pre check takes a few weeks to process. I can' see my beloved M bodies and lenses rolling around in the bottom of a plastic bin.  

According to:     https://petapixel.com/2017/07/26/tsa-requires-separate-screening-cameras-airports-now/  

"The camera will need to have nothing above or below it, similar to how laptops have already been screened at airports for years now."

you can 'thank' our new President and his 'team' for this bit of "Security Theater" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security_theater

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This applies to electronics, it says.  M lenses and film M bodies are not electronic therefore you should be able to leave them in your camera bag or case. 

With a film M, you could take off the base plate, flip up the camera back, set the shutter to B and hold down the shutter release button, showing TSA a big empty hole that goes clear through the camera; hopefully that would satisfy them.

When applying for a passport, you can pay extra for expedited service if the time until your departure is short; I would contact TSA, explain the situation and ask for expedited processing of your precheck application.

Edited by Herr Barnack

This applies to electronics, it says; M lenses and film M bodies are not electronic therefore you should be able to leave them in your camera bag or case.  With a film M, you could take off the base plate, flip up the camera back, set the shutter to B and hold down the shutter release button, showing TSA a big empty hole that goes clear through the camera; hopefully that would satisfy them.

When applying for a passport, you can pay extra for expedited service if the time until your departure is short; I would contact TSA, explain the situation and ask for expedited processing of your precheck application.

Most TSA interview centers do accept walk-ins, you have to be there first thing in the morning and hope they have time to see you, it could be worth looking into.

• Like 1

Thanks for your suggestion mikemgb.  I will check with a few TSA pre check enrollment centers near me tomorrow.  As to my Leica bodies, let me clarify, they are my M digital bodies.

You do still have to go through the application process but you can often jump the interview queue.

• Like 1

Laptops and iPads are the only things you'll need to put in the bin.  However, as mentioned above, TSA Pre Check obviates that.  Regardless, your cameras and lenses can stay in your bag.  I suspect you're mixing up the sort-lived ban on all sorts of electrical powered items coming into the country through about a half dozen countries.  

• Like 1

TSA Precheck is nice to have, but it's not always available/has a longer line than regular security.

When this sort of security regime was laid on certain routes from the Mideast to the US (the "laptop ban"), there was anecdotal evidence that camera bodies were required to be scanned (since they have "electronics"), but lenses were generally exempt. I take the lens off and put a cap on the body so I can toss it in the scanner tray without worrying about the sensor, and leave the lenses in the bag. M bodies aren't going to be bothered sliding around in a bin. Most M lenses are small, relative to DSLR lenses, and draw a yawn. I haven't been pulled over so far.

I have the feeling it depends on the indivdual airport, having just had a local flight in the US, security wanted everything including computer to stay in the bag, flying out of SFO, the procedure was "business as usual", computer separately. Nobody wanted the camera (M-body plus two lenses) out.

Thinking back, security was most thorough on this trip in Amsterdam, where some people, including me, got an additional bag check with the explosives swab.

Stefan

Edited by StS
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I fail to understand why TSA and their counterparts at airports outside of CONUS do not have multiple explosives swab sniffer machines and multiple people to swab supposedly suspicious items like laptops and cameras at each security checkpoint. 

This setup would be much more effective in detecting and deterring explosives and would help ease the logjams.  Both of those are or should be airport security's prime objectives.

Edited by Herr Barnack

I fail to understand why TSA and their counterparts at airports outside of CONUS do not have multiple explosives swab sniffer machines and multiple people to swab supposedly suspicious items like laptops and cameras at each security checkpoint. 

This setup would be much more effective in detecting and deterring explosives and would help ease the logjams.  Both of those are or should be airport security's prime objectives.

IMHO it has little to do with detecting and deterring --- but rather it is a show designed to make the traveling public believe that the current administration is 'doing something' 

Because those sniffer machines are horribly expensive to buy, calibrate and maintain, and also to train personnel to use them.

Because those sniffer machines are horribly expensive to buy, calibrate and maintain, and also to train personnel to use them.

Really?  More horribly expensive than $300,000 USD per body scanner x-ray machine and the total cost of nearly $2 billion spent by TSA on the body scanner program?

Give us some purchase cost per sniffer machine numbers, calibration and maintenance costs and sources to substantiate this claim. 

Edited by Herr Barnack

• 4 weeks later...

Over here in Europe, especially at Zurich airport I have been asked to remove my cameras (M6 and M4) from bags every time lately. This has nothing to do with electronics but the large amounts of metal in them. This makes them pop up on the screen every time leading the security personnel to ask me to remove them from the bag and xraying them again. quite annoying. But at least they are very helpful with hand checking film. Leica lenses have also irritated security personnel at Frankfurt airport. Smaller airports seem more relaxed with these things though. 

Over here in Europe, especially at Zurich airport I have been asked to remove my cameras (M6 and M4) from bags every time lately. This has nothing to do with electronics but the large amounts of metal in them. This makes them pop up on the screen every time leading the security personnel to ask me to remove them from the bag and xraying them again. quite annoying. But at least they are very helpful with hand checking film. Leica lenses have also irritated security personnel at Frankfurt airport. Smaller airports seem more relaxed with these things though. 

I flew through Charles De Gaul today, I was asked to remove all electronics, cameras were specifically mentioned, and place them separately in a tray. I left my Barnack in the camera bag which caused it to get closer examination. All they did was glance at it and let me go.

On the way out of the US through Atlanta last week my camera bag was pulled aside for a hand search, fortunately the agent knew exactly what he was looking at and sent me on my way.

Flying back in today I had to go through security again for my connection. I was waiting at the end of the X-Ray conveyor for my bags when it stopped. I just said "it's my cameras again isn't it?" The agent looked at me. looked at the screen and said "got it, I see what they are now" and let the bag come on through. :)

• Like 2