Since getting M10 the SL is collecting dust

dancook

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Apologies for contradicting you, Gordon, but you do: me.  :D

I can focus my (f/1) Noctilux wide open much faster and more reliably on my M10 than my SL although that's probably down to two reasons.  1) the M10's OVF/RF is exceptional (and a definite improvement on earlier models except perhaps the M3), and 2) I have a tendency to magnify the image on the SL because the little chap on my shoulder always whispers to me that magnifying the image in the EVF will help nail the thin plane of focus but of course that slows the process down.  I accept that the latter is my habit/problem and that I could probably focus more quickly by not magnifying but at the likely expense of hit rate.

Pete.

There's always one. haha. :)

Gordon

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Had to dust off my SL, because the rangefinder vertical calibration of my M10 is out - and well I guess that means I'll be without it now for over a month by what I read on these forums.

And this is why I can't sell my SL :)

Edited by dancook

Had to dust off my SL, because the rangefinder vertical calibration of my M10 is out - and well I guess that means I'll be without it now for over a month by what I read on these forums.

And this is why I can't sell my SL :)

Don't send it off...... Vertical calibration is dead easy. 5 mins max.

Gordon

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

These permanent rangefinder calibration-issues were exactly the reason for selling all my M-cameras and switching to the sensor-based-focussing-system of the SL. Since then I have never looked back. A hypothetical M with an integrated highres EVF would be another story, of course...

• Like 2

Oh damn, I didn't know that - I was given the impression vertical was not easy. Too late, thanks though.

On the M9, vertical adjustment required a special tool. The M240 and M10 just use a 2mm allen key. Adjustment is behind the red dot (or M-P screw). Dot is removed by pressing and rotating until the glue lets go or a wooden toothpick. 

My M10 was out as new. I did a self adjust and it's be great since then. Glue on the dot was fine and I just stuck it back on.

Gordon

These permanent rangefinder calibration-issues were exactly the reason for selling all my M-cameras and switching to the sensor-based-focussing-system of the SL. Since then I have never looked back. A hypothetical M with an integrated highres EVF would be another story, of course...

I 100% agree with you...

The dead accurate focus with the SL is a dream.

• Like 1

I 100% agree with you...

The dead accurate focus with the SL is a dream.

Agree. Plus full and instant control of exposure AND focus. Yes, its a dream.

(On the downside, SL lacks longish tele(s) and an AF system on par with Nikon's D5/D500/D850; but for all but (unpredictable) wildlife I am a very satisfied SL-user).