Focusing fast on the 50SL

BigBabyEarl

So after a week of messing around with this lens including a session on our deck with one year olds painting I've decided it's just too good to let go. It's remarkable. The auto focus worked plenty fast enough to capture a ton of moments and when the action slows down its flawless.There is no way I could have manually focused through that many moments and had such a high hit rate. I did miss some because the face detection was slow, but I think improvements in firmware will fix that or if not the next SL will. I wouldn't say it's a walk around lens, but with a small bag it wouldn't be a big deal. It's S quality for the SL system. I think that in the next year as the other planned lenses come out the system will grow into something quite serious. Until then, my frustration is a little lower and I'm going to stick with it.

Edited by BigBabyEarl
  • Like 5

So after a week of messing around with this lens including a session on our deck with one year olds painting I've decided it's just too good to let go. It's remarkable. The auto focus worked plenty fast enough to capture a ton of moments and when the action slows down its flawless.There is no way I could have manually focused through that many moments and had such a high hit rate. I did miss some because the face detection was slow, but I think improvements in firmware will fix that or if not the next SL will. I wouldn't say it's a walk around lens, but with a small bag it wouldn't be a big deal. It's S quality for the SL system. I think that in the next year as the other planned lenses come out the system will grow into something quite serious. Until then, my frustration is a little lower and I'm going to stick with it.

Thanks for the update ; I'm about to buy a SL ( again... had one, sold it now miss it ) and a SL lens - and I'm pondering either the 24-90 or the 50SL.

As youself, my main target are my kids, family gatherings, macro and landscapes.

Well for landscapes I got it covered with M glass ( 18mm, Zeiss 15mm, etc ).

Macro I do have some older Contax glass which is superb

For family stuff I do have some odd M lens ( 28 lux which I love ) and I also own the 50 lux asph - but will be sold to fund the SL+50SL.

I do love my 50Mlux but the rate of keepers is so-so - hence the search for a 50SL.

I'm sucker for bokeh and this lens does seem special.