Focusing fast on the 50SL

BigBabyEarl

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Your issue is precisely why camera systems are sold with different lenses and all have strengths/weaknesses. 

Basically you are using the wrong tool for the job. 

Digging the garden with a spoon is possible but not a rewarding exercise.

Very good points. Thank you. My big frustration is to your statement- systems are sold with different lenses. I wish they would have released the 35 first or with the 50. I know in a year or so this will hopefully be a non issue and maybe with a SL2 focus will improve. You're right though, a lens built for top performance and not speed shouldn't be judged so harshly for being slow.

I was just recently on the same boat as  you. I was so excited to jump on the SL and was coming from sony a7rii with 50mm zeiss. (Leica Q is a gateway drug for this by the way).  Then I became seriously upset that the focus speed was so damn slow, simply because of the amount of money thrown on the system. I even called the store and exercise the option of exchanging it for the 24-90 zoom. I even called Leica rep to get their feedback. What I finally did do is that I did not give up. I gave myself a good week of really getting to know the beast.  This means really getting out there and shooting. What I learned from this is that the SL wants you to change the way you shoot.  I believe having a previous and fast camera teaches you to do less work by having all the crazy options. Leica SL really tells you to change the way you shoot..and when you do..BAAM!! I actually thought the camera became faster. I even went to the store and tried the 24-90 zoom (which is faster), but you gotta question what you're really shooting. In my case, the 50 sl prime is best for what I do, and is the best lens ive ever used period!!

Leica rep said that they are aware of the issue and may release an update for it sometime in the future. however, did make a note that this lens is geared for the quality and not speed.

• Like 2

I wish they would have released the 35 first or with the 50. 

To me this makes sense.  It sounds like Leica perhaps should not have released the 50mm as its first SL prime.  Judging from the description on the Leica site the 35mmm would probably indeed have been a better candidate.

AF with the zooms is instantaneous, which means that processing on the camera side is already instantaneous so a new body is not going to improve that much. The AF speed of the 50 Summilux SL is specific to that lens and is probably limited by the physics.

Very good points. Thank you. My big frustration is to your statement- systems are sold with different lenses. I wish they would have released the 35 first or with the 50. I know in a year or so this will hopefully be a non issue and maybe with a SL2 focus will improve. You're right though, a lens built for top performance and not speed shouldn't be judged so harshly for being slow.

I really enjoy reading the post in this tread.

I've resisted buying the SL50mm till date with the two reasons:

1. Comparing to the shallow DOF which the Noctilux at fully open, the effect of the f1.4 is no where near;

2. I cannot comprehend how can AF nail focus at the precise point and shoot fast at shallow DOF of f1.4 when even the photographer cannot react and decide as fast.

If I were to shoot with the SL50 wide open, I would select MF, use the joystick to focus the point I choose and decide to trigger the shutter button after I confirm focus. If such there is no need for fast speed AF and perhaps no need for AF as well.

• Like 1

Ring with focus by wire.

Jeff

Thanks.

All native SL lenes focus by wire. In fact the change in focus depends not just on how much you turn but also how fast you turn.

I see, That is a sad news, this may kill the last hope I get SL system. The 35/75/90 Cron looks pretty nice set. Too bad they might all be FBW lenses. I haven't see a single case I prefer FBW over real focus ring yet. 

It actually works well in regards to nailing focus and for still subjects/ portraits it's amazing. It's just the old moving around business that it gets challenging. I really think the summicron S will be a lot faster. Just have to wait another year at least, no big deal.

Yeah I think this is the real nature of your problem, little critters never stay still for a moment! When it comes to photographing my kids, the things I've learned that make a difference are to use f/8, only ever photograph them in really good light (because otherwise you can't use f/8) and rely more on manual and zone focusing. Interestingly these insights seem to also have made a big difference to all my other photographs as well.

The challenge with kids is that there are so many moments you want to capture and more than half of them probably happen when you've not got good light. Honestly, I think that's what fast point and shoot cameras and on camera flash were made for. If you're shooting an SL with the 50SL, use that to take the really selective pictures, the ones where all the rules of photography can be observed (and by rules I just mean the combinatino of the moment, the subject and great light).

The other thing I've done is got both my boys very used to the camera. They can both now simply be 'in the moment'; not posed, not artifical, just who they are, in front of me and a camera. it's lovely to see and a real talent on their part that they can be just who they are with no artifice or pretence.

• Like 2

Yeah I think this is the real nature of your problem, little critters never stay still for a moment! When it comes to photographing my kids, the things I've learned that make a difference are to use f/8, only ever photograph them in really good light (because otherwise you can't use f/8) and rely more on manual and zone focusing. Interestingly these insights seem to also have made a big difference to all my other photographs as well.

The challenge with kids is that there are so many moments you want to capture and more than half of them probably happen when you've not got good light. Honestly, I think that's what fast point and shoot cameras and on camera flash were made for. If you're shooting an SL with the 50SL, use that to take the really selective pictures, the ones where all the rules of photography can be observed (and by rules I just mean the combinatino of the moment, the subject and great light).

The other thing I've done is got both my boys very used to the camera. They can both now simply be 'in the moment'; not posed, not artifical, just who they are, in front of me and a camera. it's lovely to see and a real talent on their part that they can be just who they are with no artifice or pretence.

Good points. I've always liked m43 cameras for my kids. Lens speed with a bit more DOF for the same angle of view.

Additionally, Leica gear being so expensive, one may have to sell the kids to afford the lens. That solves both problems right there..... :)

Gordon

I had the chance to handle the SL 50lux yesterday during the Leica Workshop for SL & S. During the 2 sessions of potrait shoots, I was changing lenses between 90-280mm, Noctilux M50, SL50lux and some other more exotic lenses (not to be disclosed for the moment).

Strangly I did not feel that the SL50lux was any slow in focusing subject, rather I choose to switch focusing mode to MF and use the joystick to fix the focusing before shooting as I initially selected AFS mode but soon found that anoying as I had to reposition my focal point followed by recompositioning the shot. Below is a show using the SL50lux, I'm slowing begining to fall for the lens each time I look at the pics. I am impressed with the very realistic transition from in focus to out of focus background although the Noctilux M produces a punching 3D effect (although a 'more 3D effect' lens will soon be made available to us.

36712263404_d342edbdc1_b.jpgL1030813 by sillbeers15

• Like 5

During the 2 sessions of potrait shoots, I was changing lenses between 90-280mm, Noctilux M50, SL50lux and some other more exotic lenses (not to be disclosed for the moment).

Were you impressed by what you cannot disclose yet?