Back to Leica with an M10

michali

Advertisement (gone after registration)

After shooting with Leicas since 1976, I gave up on Leica about 2 years ago, after both of my M9s developed sensor corrosion issues and my Monochrom developed the corrosion issue as well as a cracked sensor.

These failures happened within 2 weeks of each other, and while I was in the middle of a Rhino conservation project in Africa. Irrespective of the fact that Leica Germany handled the repairs with great efficiency  -I had all 3 cameras repaired and back within 10 days-  I lost confidence in the product.

I purchased a Fuji X-Pro2 and an X-Pro1(as back up) along with several Fuji lenses in order to complete my work on the project, with very satisfactory results. 

While I’ve been very pleased with the X-Pro2 and can't really fault it, I’ve missed the ergonomics and simplicity of shooting with a Leica. We’re about to start phase II of the project and I decided to take the plunge again and give the M10 a try, I’ll keep the X-Pro2 as back up just in case….

My son’s working in the Emirates and picked up a silver M10 for me today from the Leica shop in Dubai. He tells me that they have about 8 or 9 M10s in stock. 

I’ll have the camera in my hands by next week and look forward to trying it out and sharing some images here.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

Thanks Jaap, & I sincerely hope that the ISO dial does behave...

No problems so far with either of my bodies.  Had these in very regular use from February of this year.  I personally really like the ISO dial.

Hope it all works for you... :)

Edited by chris_tribble
  • Like 2

Hi again and thanks

But what I was curious about was: what is Scott now getting installed in Wetzlar that was not there in the first place in the new M10. Or maybe I am totallly misinterpreting the issue ;-)

Similarly curious.  As I have two early products I'd be interested to know if there's an essential upgrade I'm missing out on! :wacko:

"Late-model ISO wheel"... explain?

You are perhaps reading more into my comment than I had intended.  My ISO wheel failed, leaving the M10 in ISO 3200 always, even though I don't recall moving it out of A setting.  I emailed customer.care directly  and they said "send it in," in a way that suggested that they were prepared to deal with such a problem.  It's there now.  I got an immediate acknowledgement from Leica of its arrival, and expect that the next communication will either be a statement of what they plan to do, or simply that the camera works now and is coming back to me.  Others who have spoken to Leica's customer desk on the phone have reported that there is a more reliable mechanism used in the M10s now being manufactured, hence the interest in determining the most recent date for cameras with the problem.  My ISO wheel had about half a mm of vertical play when it was closed.  I'll be looking to see if that goes away, but it may be unrelated.

scott

edit:  Of course a firmware fix that permits a menu override, e.g. by making it possible to force the camera into M mode, would keep this particular failure mode from being so damaging, but do we need that?

Edited by scott kirkpatrick
  • Like 3

I received the inspection report and repair contract (no charge) for my M10 today.  They do list the ISO setting wheel as a "necessary part."  That sounds as if they use a fresh ISO wheel in the repair, but I will have no way to know whether they have a new part or are using a part from the same stock but putting it into place in a better way.  Anyway, it seems it is not sitting around waiting for attention.

Edited by scott kirkpatrick
  • Like 3

Similarly curious.  As I have two early products I'd be interested to know if there's an essential upgrade I'm missing out on! :wacko:

Chris, you and Jono may have received M10s so early that they were carefully assembled by engineers, not as the production line went into full speed.  Just a theory, but it might help you to feel better...

Chris, you and Jono may have received M10s so early that they were carefully assembled by engineers, not as the production line went into full speed.  Just a theory, but it might help you to feel better...

It's a thought, but mine weren't special items straight from Leica - simply straight purchases from Red Dot (I was REALLY getting my deposits down!).

The future will reveal how mine wear - and again, no complaints for the moment  ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

Went out for the first time with the M10 & 35mm Summarit yesterday; some random snaps around Johannesburg.

Thanks for viewing.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1