M9, M9-P, M-E photos. Post them here...

CamUser

Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 hours ago, haikos said:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The youth playing hockey at a park; Some are clearing the snow with shovels to free up more space.

M-E220 + summicron 35mm.

Montreal?

From hiking with Ukrainian family friends in Ontario. Before War... 

M-E 220, Nokton 35 1.4 II.

• Like 1

On 3/6/2022 at 9:06 PM, boojum said:

The anchorage

M9, Jupiter 8 f/5.6

I regret very much jumping through a silly bunch of hoops to post a degraded image but that is how the game is played here.  I think I will use links on the future, unless of course, that is a cardinal sin.  Alles im Ordnung, alles im Ordnung.  Pheh.

Edited by boojum
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, haikos said:

Yes!

Thank you.  I lived there while at McGill.  Montreal and McGill affected me forever, for the better.  Ben's is gone, Le Roi des Frites is gone but I think the bialey guy is still on St. Viauteur. I used to go there when the front was unfinished and you just went back into the bakery itself and pointed out what you wanted out of bins of salt, poppy seed, sesame, onion, fresh, warm, chewy all past midnight.  Nothing like it.  The Jean-Talon market on Thursdays and Saturdays, I think, for great shopping and the super sophisticated Montreal downtown surge.  Place Ville Marie at midnight, always a traffic jam.  And broom ball!  No place like it.  Faites l'hockey, eh.

Edited by boojum

A

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

• Like 2

15 hours ago, boojum said:

Thank you.  I lived there while at McGill.  Montreal and McGill affected me forever, for the better.  Ben's is gone, Le Roi des Frites is gone but I think the bialey guy is still on St. Viauteur. I used to go there when the front was unfinished and you just went back into the bakery itself and pointed out what you wanted out of bins of salt, poppy seed, sesame, onion, fresh, warm, chewy all past midnight.  Nothing like it.  The Jean-Talon market on Thursdays and Saturdays, I think, for great shopping and the super sophisticated Montreal downtown surge.  Place Ville Marie at midnight, always a traffic jam.  And broom ball!  No place like it.  Faites l'hockey, eh.

Wow, you clearly have fond memories! How long ago did you live here? I take it bialey is a typo meaning bagels? If so yes it is a staple. It is st-viateur bagel shop. I'm within walking distance and go there regularly. They're open 24h and even have a location across the street as well as a few others around town to keep up with demand. I believe they will ship anywhere in US and Canada if you want some. The Fairmount bagel shop is their competitor which is 1 street south on - Fairmount street, have you been to that one as well? It's like a Pat's vs. Geno's type of thing if you've been to Philly. Jean Talon market is always alive and kicking, we go there too.
I avoid the downtown core like it's the plague due to all the perpetual construction and removal of hundreds of parking spots and sections of sainte-catherine being closed to cars as part of the city's "green" ambitions. I have never been to Ben's nor the Roi des Frites but please tell me you've been to Schwartz' at least a few times?!

Oui le hockey avant tout!

@boojum

From the 24th of February, M-E220 + Summicron 35mm

Edited by haikos
info

St-Viateur bagel shop
M-E220 + 35mm Summicron

• Like 1

1 hour ago, haikos said:

St-Viateur bagel shop
M-E220 + 35mm Summicron

Yeah, that's it, that's it.  First time I have seen it in the daylight.  At night it was very dark in there, like a scene from Dante's Inferno.  They used to sell something like a bialey but those bagels, fresh from the ovens, ho boy, dey vass good.  Schwatz' yes, maybe twice.  Le Roi des Frites was in that little triangle shaped block off The Main.  It later became a Portuguese roast chicken shop and then I know not what.  Jean-Talon, do not get there much after 7:00 AM or those little old ladies will have scooped up all the good stuff, right?  There was also a huge glat Kosher steak joint on The Main.  I had baby lamb chops there to die for.  Second floor IIRC.  Ben's was good, too.  But you cannot serve a lousy meal in Montreal for more than two weeks.  That's how long it will take to go out of business.

There was also a Slovak or similar butcher store on The Main which had sausages hanging from hooks all the way around the store.  And sausage sandwiches off a grill at the door.  Jardin Botanique in February saved my sanity.  Green growing things!  Chalice! Tabernacle!  Merci!

The thriving Jewish community in Côte de Niege was a great slice of Montreal.  I was watching Blazing Saddles in a Côte de Niege theater with "some of the boys."  They were all laughing like hell when the swearing was in English.  When it was in Yiddish it was no longer funny.  Swearing is always funnier in another language.

There are four great cities in North America:  New Orleans, Boston, San Francisco and Montreal.  All the rest are cow towns.

McGill was extremely kind to me.  They called all the grad students in at the beginning of the fall semester and handed out scholarships to all, except for me.  I figured, OK, I am that US'er and that is the way it is.  Then they quietly asked me to stay after the meeting broke up.  They apologized profusely and said they had run out of scholarship money but awarded me a half-assistantship with no duties instead.  Tuition paid for and walking around money.  That was kind and generous.  And they did way more later.  They treated me like royalty and I am forever in the school's debt.

Hockey.  You know about Maurice Richard and the Richard Riots in the North End.  Hab's fans take the game and their team seriously.  And the old joke about Canadians:  "Politest people in the world until you put a hockey stick in their hands."  C'est vrais, ça, c'est vrais bien sur.

Your nighttime photo stirred up a lot of good, old memories for me.  I was at McGill from '73 to '75.  Grad school is the last outpost of indentured servitude.  But they hammered a great education into me and while I never worked in my field what I learned there out on Sherbrooke has helped me a lot ever since.  So, to you as a Canadian, I say thank you for everything.  I am eternally grateful.

Edited by boojum
  • Like 1

M-E 220. Nokton 35 1.4 II.

• Like 5

Still playing with the M9/J8 combo.  I am struck with the quality of this Jupiter 8.  The color is very accurate and the definition is excellent.  It is a pleasing lens.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, boojum said:

Still playing with the M9/J8 combo.  I am struck with the quality of this Jupiter 8.  The color is very accurate and the definition is excellent.  It is a pleasing lens.

J8 is substitute for Canon 50 1.8 LTM and J-3. On any camera. 

34 minutes ago, Ko.Fe. said:

J8 is substitute for Canon 50 1.8 LTM and J-3. On any camera. 

I tried them side by side and found the Canon added a bit to the color and "pop" while the Jupiter told the truth.  So when I want a little pizaz I can use the Canon f/1.8 LTM which is a great lens.  But what got me was the quality of the Jupiter.  I had expected muted colors and poor definition.  I bought a '51 KMZ J8 out of Russia right after the war started.  The seller assured buyers he could get it out and sent to purchasers.  I am hoping.  A really clean '51 which is likely Zeiss glass and internals.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/203835036482     scroll down

I am still dinking around with the M9/J8 combo and am still impressed with the sharpness of this '57 KMZ Jupiter.  If I understand correctly a '57 would be a Soviet lens of Soviet materials.  It is sharp and the color is accurate in the sole test I did.  As I said before, the J8 nailed the color while the Canon 50mm LTM f/1.8 added a little pop.  The lady I photographed went from a pleasant pink complexion to borderline Rosacea.  She does not have Rosacea.  Here is another photo of fishing boats unloading at Bornstein's here in town.  Note the sharpness of the nets.  If you click the image on this page you will be taken to the Flickr page and you can click there twice for maximum enlargement and catch that Soviet lens at work.  The Iron Lady and the Rachel Lynn:

Edited by boojum
  • Like 3

M9, Summilux-M 1:1.4/50 ASPH

• Like 4

M9, Summilux-M 1:1.4/50 ASPH

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Not posted on here for a while, today I went for a walk and took my M9s. This shot was with the 21mm f2.8 Elmarit-M.

Edited by Topsy
Typo
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Like 2