Black and Chrome Model II, with Specialities-Tiranty engraving

Advertisement (gone after registration)

not necessarily. Similarly you may find even Red Scale Elmars without SN (see separate thread discussing RS) as a result of conversion in fifties as well lens from JC could have received chrome finish, if conversion done after mid thirties...An evidence of conversion may be very often found on the inner, brass barrel holding optics, conversion number may be scratched there

not necessarily. Similarly you may find even Red Scale Elmars without SN (see separate thread discussing RS) as a result of conversion in fifties as well lens from JC could have received chrome finish, if conversion done after mid thirties...An evidence of conversion may be very often found on the inner, brass barrel holding optics, conversion number may be scratched there

I have a couple of nickel Elmars with no SNs in 7 O'Clock mounts (one definitely from a 1 Model A which had been converted to a Standard) which seem to have been put on after 1932 (from 1933 onwards). In the case of JC's chrome Hektor, it is a 7 O'Clock mount so this was probably done from 1933 onwards. The immaculate chrome job may have been done at the same time.

My collapsible chrome Summar with black rim has SN 194902 which fits with the information on black rim models from Jerzy above.

William

Therefore, might my original statement be correct?  All wholly new lenses (not conversions, updates, assembled from earlier parts or standardisations) made from 1932 onwards, have serial numbers. Therefore, all new Hektors, manufactured as chrome lenses, will have serial numbers. The absence of a serial number on a chrome Hektor, would indicate a modified earlier lens. 

Wilson

Therefore, might my original statement be correct?  All wholly new lenses (not conversions, updates, assembled from earlier parts or standardisations) made from 1932 onwards, have serial numbers. Therefore, all new Hektors, manufactured as chrome lenses, will have serial numbers. The absence of a serial number on a chrome Hektor, would indicate a modified earlier lens. 

Wilson

Your Hektor seems to be from normal manufacture. The absence of an SN would indicate the use of a lens head from the era before SNs were used. The SN situation as regards original manufacture and conversion is generally correct in most cases. There may, however, be an occasional one which came out the 'back door' with no SN. There are also those ones where the same SN was used twice and an asterisk was added to indicate a duplicate. The great feature of Leica collapsible lens design in the Elmar, Hektor and Summar lenses is that the lens heads could be used in later mounts. You may, therefore, find that some lenses have an earlier SN than their mount would indicate eg some Red Scale lenses. All of this is part of the fun of collecting Leicas.

William

• Like 2

JC, 

Are you sure there is not a serial number on your Hektor, hiding under the black paint on the front ring? The engraving is very shallow and could easily be obscured by paint.

William,

I don't think my infinity tab is the same as yours on the Nickel Hektor, which looks flatter. Mine is the same as JC's shown below yours. It may all be trying to assess a 3D object from looking at a 2D photograph. 

Wilson 

Wilson 

I am absolutely sure, checked with a 12x lens in every place, there is no depression on the front ring, it is flat and the paint is not thick, the lens looks new.

• 6 years later...

I have a IIIb so engraved.  Tiranty died in 1973

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

Dear Jed.,

Here is another:  https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiranty

Here is mine, with the best Summar I have ever seen.

Regards

• Like 1

Hello Perkin !

As a french collector I own  2 IIIb and 1 IIIa so engraved "ST". These are uncommon even  here in France. 

Best,

Jean

• Like 3

It seems to me that the cameras sold by Tiranty were first engraved with the words "Spécialités Tiranty", later with the initials "S-T" and then were no longer engraved from 1937/38. 
I have a Leica II (couplex) black/chrome with N° 3150xx which is very late, around 1939, and is not engraved S-T.

But maybe someone has a camera that will say otherwise.

• Like 1

Hello,

My IIIa has "ST" on the top plate plus "Specialites Tiranty" on base plate. But most have only "ST" on the top plate.

Many IIIb sold by Tiranty have "ST"

• Like 1

The serial number places this IIIb in 1939. One might therefore think that the pivotal year is 1939 for the end of these engravings. To the best of my knowledge, no IIIc has ever been engraved S-T (all I have to do is say that and someone will come up with an engraved IIIc!!), nor have any of the other post-war Leica models, including the "Monté en Sarre" which were made on the initiative of Philippe Tiranty.