Better anti-static gloves and 35mm filing sheets

wlaidlaw

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have spent this morning refiling various strips of film, from the filing sheets supplied by my previous processor in Lyon into new Hama sheets which have hole punched strips at the side for going in a ring binder (the supplied ones didn't). I have been using Kenro film handling gloves, which are supposed to be anti-static but like pretty much everything I have bought that was branded Kenro, they are useless and seem to actually attract dust and static. This makes the film strips nearly impossible to insert into the very flimsy and floppy Hama crystal paper filing sheets, as the static makes the film strips stick to the filing sheets

2 questions therefore:

1) Has anyone come across any effective anti static gloves, preferably available in different sizes? The obvious material to me seems to be cotton with conductive carbon fibre woven into the cloth. 

2) I would like to find better filing sheets than the Hama crystal paper ones (available in UK). The material of the Hama sheets is very floppy and translucent rather than transparent. It is sometimes quite difficult to make out what is on the film strips, especially B&W negatives. I would prefer transparent sheets with a punched hole strip at the side. Also the Hama sheets don't have stepped back and front papers, where you could then leave a small amount of each film strip showing to make extraction easier. With the Hama, both the front and rear paper are cut flush at the end of the slot, so you have to scrabble about inside each slot to grasp the film to pull it out. The only ones I can find for sale in the UK are Kenro acetate ones (see my feelings about Kenro above) or the Hama Glassine/Crystal ones. Does acetate deteriorate and stick to the film strips over a few years? 

My more recent processor in Toulouse uses excellent film filing sheets called Panodia Cel 135 but nobody keeps them in the UK. 

Wilson

Edited by wlaidlaw

I'm a very happy customer of Printfile products. 

http://shop.silverprint.co.uk/Printfile-Film-Sleeves/products/729

+1 on these Silverprint seem to be the only supplier in the UK, the bundle they did with a grey board file was a good deal , they don't seem to list that bundle now on checking.

18557946842_96a1d7062c.jpg

Shutter speed series on two Nikon rangefinders 

• Like 1

Another vote for Printfile products, I use them for 35mm and 120. I know you mentioned sourcing them in the UK but they are available from B&H in the USA: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/42992-REG/Print_File_PF357B25_Archival_Storage_Page_for.html?sts=pi

I don't know how expensive B&H international shipping is but I have had some items delivered to me and shipped them onwards for some members of this forum, I'd be happy to do that if you would like.

• Like 1

Recommending gloves is risky because the last thing I want is to disappoint
a valued associate. With caution I recommend that you choose a conductive glove
(as you mentioned) that can be washed. I prefer gloves that do not have a textured
grip area, and instead I put finger cots over the fingers I wish to make non-slip.
It really helps when sliding negatives into the filing sheets. Often the finger cots

are all I need - no gloves.

The technicians at my workplace also worked on a grounded anti-static mat
and wore long sleeves to avoid skin-dust. (Skin is where a lot of our indoor
dust comes from.)

So, keywords anti-static, conductive, washable and dissipative finger cots.

Edited by pico
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have been using Kaiser products for some time and find them adequate: http://www.kaiser-fototechnik.de/de/produkte/2_1_sortiment.asp?w=443

I have bought Kaiser in the past from RK in the UK but just before I came out to France in April I tried to order some more and they said they were having order problems. That is when I bought the 100 pack of Hama sleeves. I think RK were the only people in the UK who carried Kaiser. 

Wilson

+1 on these Silverprint seem to be the only supplier in the UK, the bundle they did with a grey board file was a good deal , they don't seem to list that bundle now on checking.

18557946842_96a1d7062c.jpg

Shutter speed series on two Nikon rangefinders 

That looks fine as I have an account at Silverprint. 

Wilson

I also struggled to get good quality negative storage sheets in the UK. I'd suggest looking at Secol ones.

https://www.secol.co.uk/products/slides__films_and_negatives_stor/vertical_and_hanging_a-s_a4_form

They would need to offer something special as they are double the price of Printfile sleeves but about the same price as Panodia Cel 135 sleeves in France. If they are thicker plastic that would be good as it makes inserting and removing strips much easier. 

Wilson

They would need to offer something special as they are double the price of Printfile sleeves but about the same price as Panodia Cel 135 sleeves in France. If they are thicker plastic that would be good as it makes inserting and removing strips much easier. 

Wilson

They are very high quality, the plastic is thicker and clear allowing easy viewing / removal of the negatives.   PM me if you like and I'd be more than happy to post one to you.

They are very high quality, the plastic is thicker and clear allowing easy viewing / removal of the negatives.   PM me if you like and I'd be more than happy to post one to you.

That is very kind of you. I will PM you when I get back to the UK in around three weeks. 

Wilson

Happy to send a Printfile sample as well if you PM, I have 120s as well.

Chris, 

That is very kind. Depending on how much I use my new "tiny" 70mm film Combat Graflex rangefinder, I may need the larger format sleeves as well. 

Wilson

Chris, 

That is very kind. Depending on how much I use my new "tiny" 70mm film Combat Graflex rangefinder, I may need the larger format sleeves as well. 

Wilson

"tiny" indeed I always think the X-pan was modelled on that camera, probably not but then all rangefinders have the same genes. If you only need a few let me know I have plenty I don't shoot enough 120 these days.

• Like 1

Also in support of the PrintFile archival foils. I use them for 35 mm and 4x5" large format negatives. Here in the US the 35 mm archive foil comes in two versions - fitting five or six frames in one row. I prefer the five-row letter-size format since they fit into a standard folder. Issue here is that for about 36 exposures, they never fit all in one foil which would be the case with the six frame row ones. 

• Like 2