Leica Q 2?

kelseyh

A 50mm Summilux-M is far tougher to manually focus in low light when compared to its 28mm equivalent.

A 50mm (or even 35mm) Q2 with fast autofocus may, therefore, be more attractive to M users, and it should also bring down the size of the Q lens. I would certainly have to bite the bullet if this decision was made.

But I do understand the niche that the Q's fantastic 28mm has carved out for itself. Keeping the current Q rolling and bringing out a Q 50 would be awesome. 

Edited by jonatdonuts

I love my Q, but would love it even more if it was waterproof. That and a few more megapixels for more cropping ability. 

Same here if it was water proof it would be sooooo amazing, but then pretty sure the size of the camera would go up. But i say the camera is King if you like the 28mm focal length and use your feet. Its also amazing with the HD video. 

• Like 1

Actually the only thing that bugs me is a few software glitches that have never been addressed by firmware update.

I also would like a Favorites menu like in the M10.

Its been more than one year since the last firmware update and I'm afraid there won't be another one.

Other than this its a wonderful camera and for the first time since a while I don't wait for an update.

Edited by Voxen
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...

Leica Q2 rumored release today at  https://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/new-leica-q2-will-be-announced-soon/

The Q has been far behind the curve for the last few years and the braintrust at Leica answers with a 24MP sensor and HD video??? The only thing worse than HD video is no video like the Q. Why even add video if it is only 1080 when your smartphones have had 4k video for years?

If this rumor is true which I find laughable if it is, Leica is going to make their loyal followers wait another 3.5 years to release a Q3 with more than 24MP and 4k video when 72MP and 8K video will be standard fare by then. 

Their loyal following will applaud the Q2 I am sure but how long can Leica rest on their laurels? Apparently their small niche will follow them off a cliff.

Edited by trstahly

1 hour ago, trstahly said:

Leica Q2 rumored release today at  https://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/new-leica-q2-will-be-announced-soon/

The Q has been far behind the curve for the last few years and the braintrust at Leica answers with a 24MP sensor and HD video??? The only thing worse than HD video is no video like the Q. Why even add video if it is only 1080 when your smartphones have had 4k video for years?

If this rumor is true which I find laughable if it is, Leica is going to make their loyal followers wait another 3.5 years to release a Q3 with more than 24MP and 4k video when 72MP and 8K video will be standard fare by then. 

Their loyal following will applaud the Q2 I am sure but how long can Leica rest on their laurels? Apparently their small niche will follow them off a cliff.

What are you talking about. The specifications are from the current Q !!!

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 1/9/2018 at 4:01 PM, Hazesus said:

Same here if it was water proof it would be sooooo amazing, but then pretty sure the size of the camera would go up

I will be happy to pay Leica a Leica price if the next waterproof snorkeling camera is based on the current Q. Their X-U is wonderful and it’s my favorite travel camera, but it’s based on the X series Leica stopped making. And the 28mm lens under water will be perfect. 

Edited by ynp

2 hours ago, trstahly said:

That B&H ad they show is for the Q-P, not the Q2. Even the pic of the camera says it’s a Q-P and the price matches. Not sure about video. Does the Q-P have video?

3 hours ago, trstahly said:

I think you are confused.  The current camera is what you described above. 

It's all been said but bears repeating: the Q is the photographer's instrument not the enthusiasts "do all of everything" camera.

After 3 years, I am a 28mm devotee especially since even the 50mm perspective prints well up to 13"x19" -- and those prints sell.

The CL, SL and M satisfy the "Do Everything" crowd.  If not, the enthusiast runs to Sony's PC (Photo Computer) or other many-buttoned monstrosity...

Would I want a zoom lens?  Nope, too large for my tastes.  I use my feet and patience.

Would I like more MP?  Sure, I love 30+ on my Canon FF Mirrorless.

Weather proofing?  Absolutely!

Joystick for AF point selection?   Absolutely!

A better AF/MF switch on the lens?  Absolutely!

The Q is nearly perfect / ain't broke / don't fix it -- but Q2 should be evolutionary in the hands of the professional to make the "in-my-hands" workflow even better.  Nothing else.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, SonomaBear said:

It's all been said but bears repeating: the Q is the photographer's instrument not the enthusiasts "do all of everything" camera.

After 3 years, I am a 28mm devotee especially since even the 50mm perspective prints well up to 13"x19" -- and those prints sell.

The CL, SL and M satisfy the "Do Everything" crowd.  If not, the enthusiast runs to Sony's PC (Photo Computer) or other many-buttoned monstrosity...

Would I want a zoom lens?  Nope, too large for my tastes.  I use my feet and patience.

Would I like more MP?  Sure, I love 30+ on my Canon FF Mirrorless.

Weather proofing?  Absolutely!

Joystick for AF point selection?   Absolutely!

A better AF/MF switch on the lens?  Absolutely!

The Q is nearly perfect / ain't broke / don't fix it -- but Q2 should be evolutionary in the hands of the professional to make the "in-my-hands" workflow even better.  Nothing else.

It would onlymake sense for it to have the items you mention and 42MP with much more advanced AF with someting like eye-focus real time tracking and image stabilization to really bring it to the forefront. It would be a further refinment of an already excellent camera as a new model which is what a new model should accomplish. There has to be enough of a reason to upgrade. While just the items you mention alone would make it attractive they are more incremetal improvements than a full fledged exciting new camera. There is no excuse with technology where it is at today for them to do anything less IMO. Charge another thousand dollars if needed Leica buyers do not shy away from $ signs.

15 hours ago, jimtom77 said:

The LeicaQ2 will be announced on March 7. About 36 megapixels. Weather sealing. Have no idea about anything else.

If accurate, I might be tempted.  Weather sealing is vital for landscape photography.

I recently moved from a 24mp DSLR to a 30mp mirrorless Canon EOS R (even better weather sealing as well) -- with remarkable improvements to an already wonderful system.

My Q is my main instrument.  Stays in the case when weather is an issue.  30+MP with Summilux lens quality and weather resistance might open my checkbook.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

wow, I am surprised. I hope the AF is cutting edge and they have some other useful features. Still not sure what this brings to the table when you have a a7rIII soon to be a7rIV with 60MP in basically the same size and weight much less the versatiliy of interchangable lenses. But exciting never the less.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

26 minutes ago, trstahly said:

wow, I am surprised. I hope the AF is cutting edge and they have some other useful features. Still not sure what this brings to the table when you have a a7rIII soon to be a7rIV with 60MP in basically the same size and weight much less the versatiliy of interchangable lenses. But exciting never the less.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

From a street photography perspective (where this camera truly shines!) it's not basically the same size,

A Sony body with comparable optics is considerably larger, I tried to replace the Leica Q with the Sony A9 - super fast AF, silent 

The closest prime, the 28mm f2 (and it's still a bigger combo), the image quality was not good enough. All my 1.4 primes are much larger, and I'm not interested in using them for street.

Also what makes the Q shine far brighter than the Sony for my use, is being able to see both the shutter speed and aperture with a glance.

Edited by dancook
  • Like 2

On 10/28/2017 at 9:33 AM, viramati said:

I find it actually very difficult to see how they could really improve on the Q enough to warrant a whole new upgrade apart from adding proper weather-sealing and maybe an update to the sensor (better high iso and DR) apart from this it is just about the perfect camera for what it does

If I may say so you’re 99% correct but I wish they’d interchange the S and C on the ON/OFF switch.

On 2/6/2019 at 6:14 PM, jimtom77 said:

The LeicaQ2 will be announced on March 7. About 36 megapixels. Weather sealing. Have no idea about anything else.

This is the first time I heard anything other than March 6 and 47 MP.  Where did your date and MP come from?