Leica Q 2?

kelseyh

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leica Q can go to 30-36MP or higher with the latest stacked back side illuminated sensors, 10FPS, faster and more accurate AF like the Sony A9 and A7RIII with eye focus, better stabilazation, improved low light and high ISO, 4k video and a built in flash.

For what? Faster and more accurate AF? This is a joke, isn't it? Better stabilization for a 28mm camera? IQ is best in its class.

Do you suffer from G.A.S.? (= Gear Acquisition Syndrome)

Edited by Qurious
  • Like 2

Well I can see this forum suffers from the same thing most forums do. My very first post and someone jumps down my throat like every other forum on the internet. What a great welcome I have always heard the Leica folk were bit odd but if this is the way it is on the Leica side I will not be on here long. Life is too short for negativity and uppieness.

Everyone knows Leica has less value for the buck I drive a Ferrari 458 Spider which also has less bang for the buck but there is somethign special about it I suppose and am trying to find out myself about Leica products.

The Q fills a need for me when I want somethig more than a 1" sensor point and shoot or when don't feel like carrying my A7RIII and A9 around with heavier G Master lenses.  I like the Q but sorry to inform you it is behind the times and due for some serious upgrades.

To answer your question Qurious you must have just bought a brand new Q thinking it is the perfect camera to make a remark like you made.

Many of us understand the benefits of more resolution on the Canon, Sony & Nikon side which represents about 90% of the serious photography arena.

Improved stabilization helps with myraid of things such as low light, slow shutter speeds, increased stabiity in a car, plane, boat or other.

Faster AF eye focus do I really have to explain but if you have not used it which you obviously have not you do not know what you are missing.

Does anyone would want less AF speed, accuracy or to give up their eye focus, I think not.

Faster FPS gets better captures for children, portraits, pets, groups, action, bees, butterflies and more.

4k video 

I am not sure what you use your Q for but there are a lot of people in the world with a lot of needs and now that I see that you are from the Bay area your comment makes sense.

Edited by trstahly

Spoken to a Leica sales person over the weekend. He mentioned that it is very unlikely in the next 6-9 months, and Leica Q silver is still on pre-order. Every new Leica camera variant will last at least 6-9 months, sometimes even longer. I think we will get Q2 either at the end of 2018 or even in 2019.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

I hate to break the news to some of you but the Leica Q is not perfect nor are other Leica cameras perfect or close to it. They are excellent cameras in many regards but they are not state of the art, the lense have not kept up with the advancements of Sony, Zeiss, Sigma and a few others. This is my opinion and the opinion of many others. It seems like and I was warned that Leica owners are a bit touchy, can be snobby and may have drank too much of the Leica water. I hope I am wrong and will be the first to admit it but the posts in this thread are quite a suprise. Several stating what would anyone want to improve as though the camera is perfect, or I would die if it only had weather sealing which would be nice but I guess the poster felt the camera is otherwise perfect.

No great company remains great by resting on their laurals without continuing to push the envelope and offering customers the best available partifularly at Leica's lofty price point. However reading some posts on this thread am I the only person who would like to see the Q take advantage of technology that others already have adopted that enable capturing better images? I hope I am wrong and should not be jumping to conclusions after only 24 hours on this forum but so far that is the impression I am getting from Leica owners.

I get my new Q today and am excited as it only weighs about a third of what my Sony A7RIII or A9 weigh which averages 60oz with a G Master lens, strap filter and lens cap. When I don't feel like carrying all that weight around I will pick up the Q because it is not always convenient or even plausible to have a large bulky camera on your person or with you.

Being an avid photographer I almost always have my Sony RX100V in my back pocket on me. I wanted something better though, I tried a Sony RX1R II which was too tiny for the heavy and particularly front heavy and was not pocketable. So then I tired the Ricoh GRII, Fuji X100F, Canon GX1 III all with APS-C sensors which did not wow me nor are they pocketable either other than the Ricoh.

It finally dawned on me if I have to carry a camera it has to be full frame in order to please me since I am used to the best IQ available today in FF. I also like the fact that it is more ergonomical and user friendly with fast auto focus, good MF and has two addititonal crop modes. Through all of this I gained a whole new respect for my RX00V and like the fast that it has a built in flash too.

The Q much to Leica lovers dismay is not even close to being perfect as it lacks quite a bit of tech that exists elsewhere today. When I read the post yesterday that said the Q2 is expected late 2018 or early 2019 instead of being disappointed I was excited. In the last 2.5 years there have been some pretty amazing advancements at Sony and elsewhere and there will be more this year so when the Q2 does finally come out it has the opportunity to be a real world beater if Leica so chooses. At least the technology is there if they want to. We will have to wait and see but I for one hoping for 36-42MP, and improvements in DR, AF, FPS, Low light, Higher ISO, Battery life and of course 4k video to name a few. Eye-focus is almost a must IMO today or some variation of it or better. 

Edited by trstahly

I hate to break the news to some of you but the Leica Q is not perfect nor are other Leica cameras perfect or close to it. They are excellent cameras in many regards but they are not state of the art, the lense have not kept up with the advancements of Sony, Zeiss, Sigma and a few others. This is my opinion and the opinion of many others. It seems like and I was warned that Leica owners are a bit touchy, can be snobby and may have drank too much of the Leica water. I hope I am wrong and will be the first to admit it but the posts in this thread are quite a suprise. Several stating what would anyone want to improve as though the camera is perfect, or I would die if it only had weather sealing which would be nice but I guess the poster felt the camera is otherwise perfect..... snip...

Maybe the Q is not viewed as perfect by you, but for the previous poster, perhaps it is. But rarely have I read anyone on here say the Q is perfect. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, and certainly, you have strong ones, but opinions are usually informed by something the opinion holder hears, reads, and/or believes. In reading your responses, it tells me you're very much into having the latest, newest, fastest thing. While that's all well and good, and it's hard to argue against the fact a lot of new gear featuring more advanced bells and whistles has been introduced since the Q has come to market, but perhaps not everyone shares your views of having the latest, newest, fastest camera. For a lot of folks 24MP is fine, for others the size/weight of the camera might be more important, or the superb optics are a good trade off for a measly 24MP. 

I've been an actual, real live professional photojournalist for 43 years, and have used Leicas (and Nikons) all that time. First an M2 and M2R, M4s, M8s, M9s (which I still have) and now added a Q. People use different cameras for different reasons. For me, Leicas are about reportage - being unobtrusive, a fly on the wall, with quiet shutters and fast lenses. One of the things that no one talks about that I feel is one of the very best things about the Q is the leaf shutter - which is truly imperceptible unless you put your ear to the camera. With a rangefinder and a Noctilux, one can shoot in virtual darkness. Leicas  have always been about simplicity of operation - not letting the mechanics of shooting pictures get in the way of actually shooting pictures. This is true with the Q and all their top-line digital cameras. My digital Nikons have so many ways of accomplishing the same thing, so many buttons and menus, so may programmable buttons that you can't just pick one up and use it, like you can a Leica. Leicas are also about having the absolute best optics that can be made. Sorry, buy I have many M lenses, some of them 25-30 years old that your G-master lenses can't hold a candle to. To say "the lense have not kept up with the advancements of Sony, Zeiss, Sigma and a few others," is complete nonsense, and shows you know nothing about Leica optics or their history. You know those spy satellites that can read a license plate from space? Leica (under the name Leitz) makes those.

I don't know who warned you "Leica owners are a bit touchy, can be snobby and may have drank too much of the Leica water," but like everyone else, Leica owners come in all different sizes, and flavors. If you get to know some of them, you'll find your generalization is not true. If you do some reading around this forum you'll find a nice, well-meaning group of people willing to help anyone out, and share their knowledge of the Leica Q in particular, and photography in general. You might also take a second look at your forum etiquette, and (hopefully) you'll see that for a first post in a new forum, yours was rather provocative in the way you trash a camera that people on the forum own and like. 

• Like 10

Maybe the Q is not viewed as perfect by you, but for the previous poster, perhaps it is. But rarely have I read anyone on here say the Q is perfect. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, and certainly, you have strong ones, but opinions are usually informed by something the opinion holder hears, reads, and/or believes. In reading your responses, it tells me you're very much into having the latest, newest, fastest thing. While that's all well and good, and it's hard to argue against the fact a lot of new gear featuring more advanced bells and whistles has been introduced since the Q has come to market, but perhaps not everyone shares your views of having the latest, newest, fastest camera. For a lot of folks 24MP is fine, for others the size/weight of the camera might be more important, or the superb optics are a good trade off for a measly 24MP.

I've been an actual, real live professional photojournalist for 43 years, and have used Leicas (and Nikons) all that time. First an M2 and M2R, M4s, M8s, M9s (which I still have) and now added a Q. People use different cameras for different reasons. For me, Leicas are about reportage - being unobtrusive, a fly on the wall, with quiet shutters and fast lenses. One of the things that no one talks about that I feel is one of the very best things about the Q is the leaf shutter - which is truly imperceptible unless you put your ear to the camera. With a rangefinder and a Noctilux, one can shoot in virtual darkness. Leicas have always been about simplicity of operation - not letting the mechanics of shooting pictures get in the way of actually shooting pictures. This is true with the Q and all their top-line digital cameras. My digital Nikons have so many ways of accomplishing the same thing, so many buttons and menus, so may programmable buttons that you can't just pick one up and use it, like you can a Leica. Leicas are also about having the absolute best optics that can be made. Sorry, buy I have many M lenses, some of them 25-30 years old that your G-master lenses can't hold a candle to. To say "the lense have not kept up with the advancements of Sony, Zeiss, Sigma and a few others," is complete nonsense, and shows you know nothing about Leica optics or their history. You know those spy satellites that can read a license plate from space? Leica (under the name Leitz) makes those.

I don't know who warned you "Leica owners are a bit touchy, can be snobby and may have drank too much of the Leica water," but like everyone else, Leica owners come in all different sizes, and flavors. If you get to know some of them, you'll find your generalization is not true. If you do some reading around this forum you'll find a nice, well-meaning group of people willing to help anyone out, and share their knowledge of the Leica Q in particular, and photography in general. You might also take a second look at your forum etiquette, and (hopefully) you'll see that for a first post in a new forum, yours was rather provocative in the way you trash a camera that people on the forum own and like.

Extremely well articulated and you said better than I could what is great about Leica and this forum.

• Like 1

Thank you for you imformative reply. I too am greatly looking forward to the stealth appearance of the Q and simplicity and agree whole heartedly it will be nice to pick it up and take photographs. I do understand the Leica philosophy some after visiting with a Leica rep in Chicago. It is unique and proven to be very successful. Like you said different cameras for different needs I did not end up with the Q by accident my office called and said it has been delivered and I am very excited to start using it. 

With all the research I have done the past few months one thing is for sure Leica has a almost cult like following and it drew me and convinced me the Q is the camera I want for street and some other situation. I like to think my eye, imagination and experience plays a very big part in obtaining my images. I am sure 24MP as in my Sony A9 will wow. I do have a problem with wanting the abolute best and it has cost me dearly over the years it is a kind of a curse. 

I also tend to be pretty up front with my opinions and want to apologize and want to take the view that most people on here are darn fine people who enjoy the same hobby as I do and will share knowlege and advice as you have. Many thanks, Terry

• Like 1

I am not sure what you use your Q for but there are a lot of people in the world with a lot of needs and now that I see that you are from the Bay area your comment makes sense.

Wow! beez said everything to say about your comment and behavior.

Apart from Sony, the life cycle for the better and best camera models is about 3-5 years  (Nikon, Canon, Olympus, Fujifilm and so on).

If you want the Leica Q to be like a Sony camera just buy a Sony camera. Where is the problem? All this is no reason to insult Leica owners.

Edited by Qurious
  • Like 1

We will have to wait and see but I for one hoping for 36-42MP, and improvements in DR, AF, FPS, Low light, Higher ISO, Battery life and of course 4k video to name a few. Eye-focus is almost a must IMO today or some variation of it or better. 

The part that seems to have escaped you, and that you might have realized had you read the forum a little more carefully before posting, is that many Q owners like the camera precisely because it doesn't have all the tech that companies like Sony throw at their cameras. It's a simple camera, albeit maddeningly quirky, that can take astonishingly gorgeous photos. Frankly, I'm not sure I'd look twice at a Q that was more like a Sony; that would be a misstep on Leica's part in my opinion. I'd much rather have stellar manual focusing, as the Q does, than eye tracking. And if you poll the users here, it seems almost no one wants video at all, much less 4K. Not how we roll.

As it stands, the Q has a narrow market, but for the people who love it, it is the best camera in the world. I think I can speak for other users when I say we see the Q as a creative tool, not a spec sheet or a status symbol. I urge you to use your Q a little more before your next post and try to be a little more thoughtful and respectful when posting. This is one of the best, most polite forums I've ever experienced. You can find a lot of help here, but bulls in a china shop aren't well tolerated.

Ultimately, the Q may not be your cup of tea, in which case you can drink gallons and gallons of the stuff Sony serves. Because that is what Sony does, throw tons of tech at their products, it seems like every 6 months. Eighteen months from now, Sony will have the A7RIVa and Leica will still have the Q and the Q will probably be backordered and we'll all still be waiting on a firmware upgrade. Welcome to Leica World.

• Like 1

Fair enough I get that. I am genuinely trying to get the vibe and that is why I am asking these questions.

What would it hurt to have 36MP especially if you can still select 24MP? It certainly does not take anything away from the Q or the Leica experience I assume that you do not want them to drop it to 12MP. This is where I am having a hard time understanding reluctance to have some options perhaps not necessarily for your use but another shooter. I am not into video but that does not mean I will not hit the record button with kids or a pet once and a while and 4k does not hurt anything most cameras have it and I would rather view the movie clip in 4k than 1080p.

I am finding the low light to be surprisingly good but would another half step or full step would bother you? You do not need to push it to that and I assume you would prefer than they do not take a stop of the existing low light or high ISO away?

I love the camera I am just trying to get my arms around the Q. 

Frankly after much searching experimenting with lots of cameras besides my A7RII now III and A9 is what camera to use in between I had the Sony a6500 for speed and crop factor with its APS-C before the added it to the FF and I can shoot in crop mode on 42MP and equal the a6500. Then I tried every aps-c on the market and was not happy with any of them I liked the Fuji X100F but it wasn't enough and the Q is.

To be able to go out with all my gear and lenses  and two bodies for a day of serious shooting is my norm. Or the RX100V for excellent snapshots and now I have a true high quality point and shoot for street and much more and can see myself using it a lot. I am going to Chicago for the weekend and plan on having some fun and trying to learn more about it. 

Thanks, Terry

• Like 2

I am a true believer in the "less is more" philosophy. Its about the overall experience, and if you allow yourself to have too many options, those options get in the way of your intended goal; taking pictures. 

I owned the Sony A7II, great IQ no doubt, but the convoluted UI and extra options just made the whole experience more of a headache. Do I want to use this feature? Should enable this or that? Why didn't I set it like this? I should have used that! There were just too many decisions for me and it really degraded my experience.

I also owned the Canon 5D Mark IV. Also superb IQ with great build and responsiveness. But it was too big. I called it the BEAST for a reason. 

These are just my personal experiences. Of course there are those who enjoy the capabilities of having many options and revel in them. I am all for updated systems that enhance technical specs and IQ, but if you got buttons everywhere, this feature that feature, more moving parts, etc then I know eventually it will degrade my experience of doing what I ultimately enjoy....taking pictures. 

• Like 1

I am getting that part. I spent way too much time researching lenses buying selling etc. Now I have everything I need and no more I recently sold a Sony a6500 and four Ziess Loxia's two Ziess Batis and some Sony glass and have it pared down to ten lenses and my A7RIII & A9 and am all set. Not that I have stopped worrying about all that it has been more fun to take photos. I do use a lot of the stuff but not that much. I generally shoot on Aperture priority and use MF quite often but I do use the fast frame rate, focus tracking and eye-focus a lot. 

The Leica Q is a true joy and it has about all you need other than more MP to help the 35mm and 50mm crop settings and other benefits of the latest sensor technology.

Being 6'3" the strap is a little short so I ordered a Peak Design Leash which is a little more formidal strap and longer that can be used as a sling and slide the camera to your side or even back. I went out with it Saturday and had it on my chest with my A9 on my right side and pretty much split the use between the two having 28mm on the Q and my 85 1.4 G Master on the Sony. I got a really nice image of a street musician right in his face almost which I posted in B & W it looks good the texture and detail is excellent.

I have a friend who seems to buy a new camera every few months, typically a Sony. He brings it around to show me soon after his most recent purchase to wow me with its technical innovations, most of which he can't seem to demonstrate when on the spot, even something as simple as using it in manual exposure mode. Honestly, it is embarrassing. He simply cannot understand why I still shoot film with Leica film cameras, and use the "dated" technology of a Leica Q and M-P. He simply doesn't get it that I'd rather use lenses with character than the most up to date, software corrected, autofocus lenses. I'm currently waiting for him to bring around his latest acquisition, the Sigma Quattro DP3. He tells me "The lens is flawless". I told him I've just bought stacks of Ilford Delta 400. He just doesn't get it. He doesn't get that I don't want to take photos in the dark. He doesn't get that I don't want to take 10 photos a second in the hope that one is ok for Facebook. He doesn't get that I don't want all character stripped from the lens. He doesn't get that I often like light fall-off to the edge of the image. He doesn't get that I don't want to climb this descending escalator of the world of digital cameras. 

We all want different things from our photography. I like this little Leica niche.

Pete

• Like 1

There is no right or wrong in photography or anything else this is America.

And there are those of us who enjoy both a minimalist type which the Leica Q is actually kind of a hybrid since it does offer a LCD and menu system but is very simple and enjoyable to use versus the more complex Sony A9/A7RIII but even those once you set up your custom settings are pretty user friendly.

I have several different automobiles a large SUV, exotic sports car, four door sedan and 50 year old Vintage sport cars. There is no perfect vehicle or perfect camera. I do not always feel like driving a big SUV or a 210 mph exotic but when I do feel like driving them I enjoy them and appreciate them for their intended purpose.

If anyone on the Sony or other side thinks ill of the Leica way of doing things they are very short sighted just as anyone on the Leica side who has disdain for Sony enthusiasts is off base. 

I would rather endorse the brotherhood of a fellow photogaphy enthusiast than judge ones methods, likes or dislikes. I like and dislike both but I like the people who share this wonderful hobby and the images we create more than the equipment.

I have a friend who seems to buy a new camera every few months, typically a Sony. He brings it around to show me soon after his most recent purchase to wow me with its technical innovations, most of which he can't seem to demonstrate when on the spot, even something as simple as using it in manual exposure mode. Honestly, it is embarrassing. He simply cannot understand why I still shoot film with Leica film cameras, and use the "dated" technology of a Leica Q and M-P. He simply doesn't get it that I'd rather use lenses with character than the most up to date, software corrected, autofocus lenses. I'm currently waiting for him to bring around his latest acquisition, the Sigma Quattro DP3. He tells me "The lens is flawless". I told him I've just bought stacks of Ilford Delta 400. He just doesn't get it. He doesn't get that I don't want to take photos in the dark. He doesn't get that I don't want to take 10 photos a second in the hope that one is ok for Facebook. He doesn't get that I don't want all character stripped from the lens. He doesn't get that I often like light fall-off to the edge of the image. He doesn't get that I don't want to climb this descending escalator of the world of digital cameras. 

We all want different things from our photography. I like this little Leica niche.

Pete

Could also be an addiction. A very expensive and superficial one at that.

Edited by djinn415
  • Like 1