Leica Q 2?

kelseyh

My perfect kit would be my Q as it exists today PLUS a "Qm" with no lens, just the M mount.  No calibration required since there is no rangefinder.  No complex menu system required since manual focus  is all I need.

Then both cameras would feel identical in my hands.

My 28mm f1.7 is my primary lens for everything (image crops are gorgeous) but adding a few more Summilux lenses would be heaven.

{anticipating comments: the TL is out since I am a full frame guy.  The SL is out since then lenses are huge and I already own Canon L lenses for my other bodies.  The M is out since I am sold on Leica quality EVFs and focus=peaking rather than fighting rangefinder issues at f1.4}

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The lense would get fairly large above 28mm

Q with m mount and interchangeable lenses = SL - what most people look for is I guess a cheaper and smaller SL

and Leica is callling that the T/TL series. . . (yes i know it is APC sized sensor and not FF) but  a interchangeable lens Q or smaller SL IMHO would take away from M sales and Leica unlike Apple is not willing to kill its own products for the sake of new products (as an aside-- maybe Leica should kill off the M and replace it with an interchangable lens FF Q type of camera -- a modern CL if you will)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I find it actually very difficult to see how they could really improve on the Q enough to warrant a whole new upgrade apart from adding proper weather-sealing and maybe an update to the sensor (better high iso and DR) apart from this it is just about the perfect camera for what it does

• Like 1

35mm would be ideal for me. I shot with a 25mm last night and about freaked at the wide FOV. It has been a while since I shot wider than 35 at an outdoor people event.

The Q with m mount would be a no brainer. I would bevall over that.

I shoot political events for our local mayor and I find the Q is a perfect companion with my Canon 5D3 and 70-200 f2.8 lens. I carry both and choose the one most fitting for the moment. The 28 mm focal length combined with 24 Mpixels works well for me knowing I can crop pretty strongly and still end up with reasonably high resolution. Certainly enough pixels for use on the web or in newspaper articles. I only wish the Q was more weather resistant and the darn video button could be re-purposed to another function like I can with many buttons on the 5D3. I would have it selected to change focus modes.

As far as I know, there is not any company that created a FF camera with interchangeable lens ( with EVF ) in this size and Leica has been a pioneer in compact digital cameras. ( Small APS-C camera X1 , smallest FF - M9 ( RF style ) , DSLR size MF camera - S2 )

Leica may find a Q model with M mount risky. However, the big demand for this camera can be seen in this forum.

Any AF lenses for FF would be big for this type of body, even the primes. So the ultimate compactness can be achieved with a manual focusing system like M series. Despite the fact that we are mostly RF lovers in this forum, the outside world hates it because of the restrictions ( calibration problems, metering problems, visibility problems at dark ) .  An EVF model won't need a calibration, will meter through the sensor , and can gain up in low light conditions.

Edited by CYBORA

As far as I know, there is not any company that created a FF camera with interchangeable lens ( with EVF ) in this size..."

Actually, there is. Not the exact measures as the Q but pretty close.

Leica Q:      5.12 x 3.15 x 3.66 @ 1.41lb.

Sony A7:     5.00 x 3.70 x 1.89 @ 1.04lb.

Sony A7ii:   5.00 x 3.78 x 2.36 @ 1.32lb.

Sony A7Rii: 5.00 x 3.78 x 2.36 @ 1.38lb.

Edited by rivi1969

Actually, there is. Not the exact measures as the Q but pretty close.

Leica Q:      5.12 x 3.15 x 3.66 @ 1.41lb.

Sony A7:     5.00 x 3.70 x 1.89 @ 1.04lb.

Sony A7ii:   5.00 x 3.78 x 2.36 @ 1.32lb.

Sony A7Rii: 5.00 x 3.78 x 2.36 @ 1.38lb.

I mean , the Q body only size. The numbers here are for A7 bodies vs Q body + lens.

Q is only wider than A7 series. It is shorter and thinner than A7. With a compact M prime, an interchangable Q option will be really small.

Btw, an announcement is coming on November 22 under the name of Oskar's Legacy. The guesses are an APS-C camera, but Leica may make the dreams come true.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The Leica Q is 2.5 years old and lot of techology has advanced during this time, look at what Sony has done.

Leica Q can go to 30-36MP or higher with the latest stacked back side illuminated sensors, 10FPS, faster and more accurate AF like the Sony A9 and A7RIII with eye focus, better stabilazation, improved low light and high ISO, 4k video and a built in flash.

That is a camera that is up to date and will put the Q on the top of the heap for awhile. If they went 36MP the 28mm lens is fine you can crop to 60mm and beyond with ease.