Soft-release button

Lucena

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Not if he were using my M10, the difference between the shutter release action on the M3 and M10 is night and day.

I'm sure if I did not mind parting with the camera for weeks if not months, Leica would adjust it for me but I don't so I added the release.

Anyone else find the shutter release on the M10 to be lacking in tactility and release quality?

All my M's (6,7,8,9,10) have a different feel and tactility from each other. Not ideal, but that is how it is.

I consider it similar to when I (frequently) change cars (Saab & Subaru). Each has it's own 'feel' and I adjust, since they wont. It keeps me alert, :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

OK, I got convinced.....

....i will go for the "tigar shark" edition with matching hot shoe cover:

https://leicarumors.com/2017/10/20/new-tigar-shark-silver-soft-release-buttons-and-hot-shoe-covers-for-leica-cameras-by-jay-tsujimura.aspx/

:-D

Interesting! I must say I like this idea vey much. XD

Five days ago I bought a soft release button in a Leica store. The vendor tightened it in my cam and told me Iwould not loose it. Every morning since I verified it was tightened, even though I lost it today...

As you can imagined I am pissed. Before getting a new one I would like to know if this happened to anyone and if glueing it would be an option...

Do you mean the one that you lost was the original leica soft release? I do lose mine LHSA soft release some days ago and I just miss it very much indeed. I have to admit that I am using mainly for the decoration reason. 

A solution follows by understanding the problem first...

All shutters have a break...much like a gun trigger. It's at the "braking" point where all jarring occurred...cannot make it softer by adding on a bling.

Such bling's fall off easily because the tapered thread needs only a 1/4 turn to engage...and exactly where the problem occurred. Easy on...easy off.

My solution in use for decades...and first posted in the poor man RF wannabe X-Forum years ago:

Use one or more rubber washers to increase the friction between the base of the bling and the top of the shutter button. 0.5mm and 1/32" [0.8mm] small rubber washers [iD 3mm, OD 6~7mm] are widely available on eBay...I have a life-time supply of course... A 50-pack only costs a few bucks...

A combination of both washer thicknesses make up a 0.5, 0.8, 1.0, 1.3, 1.5, 1.6mmm and beyond. Alternative, rubber O-rings also work...I also have a life-time supply on hand. Works for any special thread Leica might try next...

I discourage anyone using Loctite, finger nail varnish, thread seal and assorted gunk on the shutter release thread...a small dried-up chunk falling into the hole would give you an expensive grief.

Edited by Frankie
  • Like 1

Do you mean the one that you lost was the original leica soft release? I do lose mine LHSA soft release some days ago and I just miss it very much indeed. I have to admit that I am using mainly for the decoration reason. 

It was the original indeed.

A solution follows by understanding the problem first...

All shutters have a break...much like a gun trigger. It's at the "braking" point where all jarring occurred...cannot make it softer by adding on a bling. ...

Personally I don't use a soft release for bling I use it so that I can fire the shutter with the fleshy part of my index finger between the first and second knuckle.  This gives me better control of the shutter than stabbing at it with the tip of my finger.   I can use my finger as a lever to gently, steadily and smoothly increase the pressure on the soft release until the shutter fires.  I've proved to myself in the past that the soft release allows me to reliably take steady shots at 1/8th or 1/4th of a second depending on the focal length I'm using.

I tighten the soft release with my fingers and I think I've only lost one (touch wood!) in the last 12 years using the M8, M9P, M240 and M10.  The soft releases are the Abrahamssons.

Pete.

A solution follows by understanding the problem first ...

The solution to an inexistent problem is specious. The best thing that can happen to a so-called 'soft-release' button is to silently fall off and get lost.

• Like 3

I was weaned on Nikon F2's... It has a collar around the shutter button where I rest my finger on...pushing on the button with the fleshy part of my finger is the best soft-release I had, ...and still have because it'd never fall off.

The late Tom Abrahamsson was a friend...am familiar with his products. Tom had never solved the fall-off problem, so buy another while stock lasts.

Whether the soft-release works for you or not...best is not to have it silently falls off and gets lost. 

That is indeed right, if you rest your finger on the collar and release by a gentle motion, you can hold the camera more steadily than by jabbing a soft release. Technique and practice, as always.

• Like 1

I agree that the use of a soft release is a personal preference, but I assume that most people that don't like them have also not spent any significant amount of time using them the way they are intended to be used: Rest the tip of your finger firmly on the shutter speed dial, which will stabilize your leveling of the camera, then roll your finger tip over the shutter speed dial, triggering the shutter with the second joint of your finger. This is the same technique Jaap describes using the collar of the shutter button, but you rest your finger tip on the shutter speed dial instead. 

I have gotten very used to this technique, and my exposures at slow shutter speeds are definitely not less stable than without the soft release. Aside from that I just love "dressing up" my Leica.

• Like 1

:)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

I see that this thread has been around for awhile but I never came across it before.

Anyway, I had been using the M10 without a soft release and was actually having fits trying to find the actual shutter release button without looking at it. I had a habit of pressing the surrounding collar instead of the release because the release button for some reason is too reset within that collar on my M10. There just is not a positive feeling difference between the release and the collar. Not sure if this is normal or if it's just my camera but I was getting very irritated by it until I thought of trying the quick release. So I found one on ebay which came with a tiny rubber gasket that slides on over the thread of the soft release. This keeps the thing very secure in place, and I doubt that it will ever fall off. Using this soft release has been absolutely terrific. What used to be a very frustrating camera to press the shutter release  has now become one of my all time favorites to do just that. Very positive feel to both the half and full press and now it doesn't matter at all as to exactly where I place my finger.

Edited by jay968