Soft-release button

Lucena

How could you? I did a poor job of explaining.

The area around the release button is a chromed 'well' or dish shape. Try placing your finger gently halfway over the rim, then roll your finger over the release. It is a smooth action, less disruptive than pushing a soft release. It is not for everyone but I've been doing it for (my gosh) fifty-two years.

Above I recommended Tom Abrhamsson's softie. I must add that he once wrote that he has them on all of his considerable number of Leicas - he knew how to engineer them.

Best of luck!

It was also my poor english responsible for not understanding. I have very large hands for a woman, larger than most men's, and my sensibility is more accurate using the soft release button...

Anyhow thanks for the re-explanation, it corresponds to what I do without the soft release button

• Like 1

Five days ago I bought a soft release button in a Leica store. The vendor tightened it in my cam and told me Iwould not loose it. Every morning since I verified it was tightened, even though I lost it today...

As you can imagined I am pissed. Before getting a new one I would like to know if this happened to anyone and if glueing it would be an option...

I have been using one since mid February. Have not had it fall off since. No glue on my threads as well. Maybe there is some variations on the thread quality. 

All the best with your next one 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I can’t live without a soft release on my M4-P. I’ve tried different ones over the years, and I’ve lost a few. Good thing most don’t cost that much. The one I’ve stuck with and so far remains firmly stuck on my Camera is from Bellamy of JCH, I also like the design as it’s very low profile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Not meaning to be dismissive, but soft releases are not useful.

Try sliding your finger into the shutter release detente.

Seriously, Leica got that right.

I think you mean that Soft Releases are not useful for you. Me, I think they are great. I was using two bodies at the weekend and one of the bodies had lost the Soft Release (fell in the bag). Boy did I miss it. In fact, I have ordered two more to have as spares.

John

• Like 2

I have had a couple of Abrahamsson releases in a "stuff" drawer for a few years now ( RIP ) and never really thought to use them because I was fine with the other method of rolling into the shutter release cup, figured I can't lose what I don't use.

But the M10 release is different and I have to say it feels rather lacking in release quality. So I am going to get one of those Softie's out and give it a go, because at the moment, I am feeling a bit out of touch with smoothly releasing the M10. 

Edited by Reciprocity
  • Like 2

Five days ago I bought a soft release button in a Leica store. The vendor tightened it in my cam and told me Iwould not loose it. Every morning since I verified it was tightened, even though I lost it today...

As you can imagined I am pissed. Before getting a new one I would like to know if this happened to anyone and if glueing it would be an option...

You may want to look into these releases. They use a small rubber ring to help it stay in place. Mine have stay put so far. I'd say with “blue loctite” it would stay there.

http://www.artisanobscura.com/

Edited by ru2far2c
  • Like 1

You may want to look into these releases. They use a small rubber ring to help it stay in place. Mine have stay put so far. I'd say with “blue loctite” it would stay there.

I had a similar release from Match Technical with the O-Ring. Needless to say, lost that one, too, although it did stay on for quite a bit longer than my old one. I've stuck with loctite these days and had no problem. The shutter actuation itself is a nightmare for anything using those threads, they're always going to loosen eventually.

Thanks for the link. I glued the new one with loctite, jus a drop with a toothpick... wait and see!

• Like 1

Aside from not really needing it, I am now reminded of why I did not put a soft release on any of my cameras, the unnecessary protrusion from the top of the shutter. I do find it easier to trigger the shutter smoothly and when I want to since I put it on, but I think that has more to do with how poor the tactility is on my M10's shutter release without it. It's a nice move now that will be very needed in using gloves. If I am shooting a job from horseback or some other wild ride, I will likely be at high shutter speeds anyway and would likely remove it.

I spent 30 minutes last night chasing and reducing the threads on this Softie in order for it to get as flush to the button as possible and it is still not there. The shutter button on the M10 has very little travel and simply does not need this much clearance so I might have a friend in Italy machine one that sits much more lower in profile, because I can see this thing snagging on all kinds of stuff going in and out of the bag. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Reciprocity

I prefer the smaller sizes — the lip does indeed snag on bigger ones. It also changes the ergonomics quite a bit — on a M6 I got quite accustomed to changing the shutter speed with the index finger, and then hitting the shutter with the first knuckle. The soft release helps with that motion quite a bit.

Edited by Slowhands

Aside from not really needing it, I am now reminded of why I did not put a soft release on any of my cameras, the unnecessary protrusion from the top of the shutter. I do find it easier to trigger the shutter smoothly and when I want to since I put it on, but I think that has more to do with how poor the tactility is on my M10's shutter release without it. It's a nice move now that will be very needed in using gloves. If I am shooting a job from horseback or some other wild ride, I will likely be at high shutter speeds anyway and would likely remove it.

I spent 30 minutes last night chasing and reducing the threads on this Softie in order for it to get as flush to the button as possible and it is still not there. The shutter button on the M10 has very little travel and simply does not need this much clearance so I might have a friend in Italy machine one that sits much more lower in profile, because I can see this thing snagging on all kinds of stuff going in and out of the bag. 

The Abrahamsson Softie you are using is for the old style shutter release thread. I think they changed the thread with the M240. My late MM1 also has the new thread. Tom's widow Tuulikki can supply you with one of the new style threaded ones which will not sit so high from the release.

As per selected comments within this thread, the use of a so called "soft release" is all down to the Leica users personal preference and long may this continue.  No hard and fast rules of course with this subjective assessment, applying also to all the other interesting bolt on, clip on, screw on, snap on et al, so called "Leica enhancements".  For myself, the ever spinning mantra of keep it simple and fit for purpose, with the constant reminder that my Leica M is a working camera and not a piece of hand or neck held jewellery.

So, I was given a "soft release" as a present from one of my daughters.  Again and subjectively, I thought that it was clumsy in the way that it screwed into the port, it was too high for a comfortable release and it constantly worked loose.  On top of that, my thoughts were that it was ugly in position and not at all in simpatico with the Leica design per se.

Out came "Mr Needle File".  I reduced the cone barrel to a tad over 1mm and also the diameter, with all exposed brass, albeit out of sight, "restored" using a satin black paint.  A slight resistance when screwing in to the port with however a very gentle and anticipated, self tap.  Possibly minor distortion to the original threaded port, however for myself at least, this is of minor consequence.  By this, no glue or other sticky stuff and the "soft release" is flush and firmly in position.

Now quite pleasant to use I might add.

Regards and best wishes,

David   

• Like 1

Out came "Mr Needle File".  I reduced the cone barrel to a tad over 1mm and also the diameter, with all exposed brass, albeit out of sight, "restored" using a satin black paint.  A slight resistance when screwing in to the port with however a very gentle and anticipated, self tap.  Possibly minor distortion to the original threaded port, however for myself at least, this is of minor consequence.  By this, no glue or other sticky stuff and the "soft release" is flush and firmly in position.

This is pretty much what I have done with mine. Now there is no more gap, it sits lower and flush and works great. If Leica had not made the stock release so lacking in quality of feedback and travel, I would never had needed this little thing in the first place but at least now it will be a lot easier to use with gloves than any M I have.

Edited by Reciprocity

I found it had the opposite of the intended effect and made it harder to have really fine control over the shutter release.

Same for me. I used it for a short period as I got one for a gift. I regularly make use of the half pressed function to preserve a certain measurement of the light meter. Normally it is 1 in 1000 cases that I activate the shutter incidentially. With the soft release it was about 1 in 20 cases. I screw it off and found it ridiculous that even Leica themselves started offering them.

• Like 1

Henry Cartier Bresson would revolve in his grave, if he would learn about this discussion....

Not if he were using my M10, the difference between the shutter release action on the M3 and M10 is night and day.

I'm sure if I did not mind parting with the camera for weeks if not months, Leica would adjust it for me but I don't so I added the release.

Anyone else find the shutter release on the M10 to be lacking in tactility and release quality?