need help for cleaning VIOOH Viewfinder

AHAB

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So, if there are no silverings on the prism, what is the risc of cleaning then?

My guess is not getting the correct alignments on re-assembly. Are there not two prisms glued or held together and they also have blacking on the non-see through surfaces. Spotting under the paint or in the in between the prisms, could be the cause of poor performance. There is another good set of instructions for clean/repair of the VIOOH here http://www.burdicek.com/camera/?p=42 

Wilson

Another point to bear in mind is that the screws on older Leitz equipment often have very narrow slots. They are sometimes too narrow even for good quality A+F or Bergeon professional jewellers' screwdrivers. I bought an A+F screwdriver blade sharpening kit with a jig and stone to fine down the blades of my A+F screwdrivers for working on Leitz equipment. 

Wilson

• 4 weeks later...

Thomas Tomosy wrote the Leica camera repairbook. In this book you wil find detailed information about maintenance and repair of camera's, viewfinders etc. I don't know if it is still avalable. Its ISBN is:0-936262-87-7. Publisher was Amherst Media in New York. Hope that this can help.

Good luck

• 2 years later...

Thanks to everyone contributing to this thread. My repair tech wanted €70 + 20% VAT for a cleanup, which is not worth spending on this squinty finder.

Thanks to this thread I succeeded opening and cleaning it up. It became much better, but I managed to strip the two set-screws in the silver ring when reassembling. They were very soft but I don't imagine I will open it again and if I do, they are easily drilled out.

I will not use it much, but at least it is now useable and don't have to live a life on the bottom of a drawer.

• 10 months later...

Hi All, Now half a decade after this topic started I am also cleaning the VIOOH finder. Mirrors and all are clean as, however I need help with the front of the finder. It happens that non of the linked PDF's are still working and previous links in this topic neither work. Is there anyone with the saved PDF or link to instructions on CLA? 
Thanks a million in advance! 

• 4 months later...