need help for cleaning VIOOH Viewfinder

AHAB

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

I have a VIOOH viewfinder and there is like little fluid bubbles in the lens system.

I tried to clean it according to this manual:

http://www.burdicek.com/camera/?p=42

This worked BUT this does not show how to open and clean the lens system.

Can anybody help disassembling the silver parts with the lenses in it.

Any PDF file / link / clues how to do it welcome, as I did not manage to get the parts disassembled.

Any help highly appreciated.

Thanks

AHAB

I have just this sketch but it helped me to dismantle the VIOOH
you will need some spanners

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

I opened mine up to attempt to clean the prism - it's pretty straightforward. Sadly, I wasn't successful at cleaning the issue since it's some sort of either delamination or de-silvering of the mirrors that cause this odd brownish streak right in the midst of the view. But since I only paid $20 for it, and I just use it for framing basically, I've survived! 

I opened mine up to attempt to clean the prism - it's pretty straightforward. Sadly, I wasn't successful at cleaning the issue since it's some sort of either delamination or de-silvering of the mirrors that cause this odd brownish streak right in the midst of the view. But since I only paid $20 for it, and I just use it for framing basically, I've survived! 

I already opened it and cleaned the side with the prism in it - no problem 

but I failed again in opening the "silver" side of the viewfinder today - I removed all the screws but was not able to open it - further I did not dare to force it open as some mechanical parts already started moving inside ..... probably next time in Wetzlar they can do it while I am going to have a coffee

Advertisement (gone after registration)

...either delamination or de-silvering of the mirrors that cause this odd brownish streak right in the midst of the view. But since I only paid $20 for it, and I just use it for framing basically, I've survived! 

Prism of VIOOH consist of few elements that are cemented, canada balsam used at that time tends to get yellow with the time. It could be cleaned and recemented, but I am afraid that for the cost lower than repair you will get a properly working viewer

• Like 1

I hope that the document which I prepared will help you and other members who may want to CLA their VIOOH.

If I was unclear in explaining please let me know..attachicon.gifVIOOH Repair Instructions.pdf

Thank you very much!

This is amazing!

After removing the first two screws I was not able to take off the "nose" yesterday so probably I did not dare to apply enough "force" - but as it is the correct way I will retry 

BTW thank you from Bavaria to Austria (as I see in the profile to Vienna)

Edited by AHAB
  • Like 1

I hope that the document which I prepared will help you and other members who may want to CLA their VIOOH.

If I was unclear in explaining please let me know..attachicon.gifVIOOH Repair Instructions.pdf

as everything works smooth with the viewfinder - as soon as the nose is loose and I can clean the lenses ... I can skip the other procedures which are to disassemble the rest

• 5 months later...

If there are tiny black spots in the viewfinder, what might be the cause of that? Is the problem in the connecting faces of the prism?

De-silvering of the mirror surfaces, they can be re-silvered but I suspect the cost will exceed the amount required to buy a "new" copy in better condition. If you can tolerate them the deterioration is slow if kept in warm dry storage when not in use, not in a leather case where the humidity promotes deterioration.

• Like 1

If you decide to purchase new rather than trying to repair and unless you are dead set on buying Leitz, I would strongly recommend the TEWE zoom finder. Optically this is somewhat in advance of the VIOOH or VIDOM and especially for the longer focal lengths (the TEWE goes up to 200mm) gives a larger and clearer image. See here for Roger Hicks' article on the TEWE http://www.rogerandfrances.com/subscription/tewe%20polyfocus.html .

Personally I don't find any of the zoom/turret finders up to much, even though I have a VIDOM and a TEWE. I much prefer to use the far superior individual Leitz bright line finders, SBLOO (35mm), SBOOI (50mm), SGOOD (85mm). They are excellent and hugely better than any zoom finder. 

Wilson

Chris, there are no silvered surfaces in VIOOH, light is reflected within the prism though. I believe this is because of different "thickness" of glas and air, it is along time ago when I learned it at school:-)

I believe this is dust/dirt and could be cleaned, see pdf in one of the postings above how to do it.

• Thanks 1

If you decide to purchase new rather than trying to repair and unless you are dead set on buying Leitz, I would strongly recommend the TEWE zoom finder. Optically this is somewhat in advance of the VIOOH or VIDOM and especially for the longer focal lengths (the TEWE goes up to 200mm) gives a larger and clearer image. See here for Roger Hicks' article on the TEWE http://www.rogerandfrances.com/subscription/tewe%20polyfocus.html .

Personally I don't find any of the zoom/turret finders up to much, even though I have a VIDOM and a TEWE. I much prefer to use the far superior individual Leitz bright line finders, SBLOO (35mm), SBOOI (50mm), SGOOD (85mm). They are excellent and hugely better than any zoom finder.

Wilson

I like my TEWE best of the half dozen or so turret or zoom finders I have, I've used it on evf digital cameras too to give an optical 'experienc'. Mine could do with a clean to get rid of a bit of 'haze'.

But individual brightline finders arr better, Leica or Voigtlander.

Gerry

• Like 1

Chris, there are no silvered surfaces in VIOOH, light is reflected within the prism though. I believe this is because of different "thickness" of glas and air, it is along time ago when I learned it at school:-)

I believe this is dust/dirt and could be cleaned, see pdf in one of the postings above how to do it.

Ah my incorrect assumption of silvering on the prism, I have deleted the mis-leading post, thank you for the correction. It would be though unusual to see black spots, unless they are fungal perhaps?

Dear me past deletion time slot/edit !!

This is why deletion should remain an option for the poster.

Edited by chris_livsey

So, if there are no silverings on the prism, what is the risc of cleaning then?

In order to clean you need to take it apart, you might need a set of screwdrivers. Otherwise same rules as cleaning uncoated lenses and not with sandpaper -:). How to disassembly and put together is described in pdf

In all VIOOHs which I have seen all optical elements were uncoated