M10 wear

dennersten

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Here are one picture after one weeks use. It’s more than my M6 after 20 years use. Have somebody else got the same problem?

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk Pro

I had an M9 and after 4 years had brassed up quite heavily. When deciding on a silver or black M10 I was advised by Leica that the paint on the M10 is much tougher.

I also see that the abrasions are also on the flash mount cap, which is a separate part. It must have been in contact with something abrasive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by sls
  • Like 1

I had that one time on my black chrome M6 almost at same place as your M10.

It turned out that an aluminium button leaved the aluminium trace.

When I rubbed it out, the black chrome of the M6 reappeared.

Maybe the same thing happened here, try with a rubber ...

• Thanks 1

I have 80 to 90 year old Leicas that are less marked than this. My M10 is chrome and has no marks after 4 months of use. I usually keep it in a case from Classic Cases and I never use a 'thumbs up' thing. The main areas for causing damage are taking the camera in and out of bags and then from buttons and zips on clothing. I have found with the M10 and other cameras that buttons and zips on clothing may actuate the buttons on the back as the camera is hanging on a strap around my neck. This indicates that contact is taking place. 

What I note from the picture above is that the lettering is not damaged or scratched which may mean that this is some material on the surface of the camera which might be capable of being rubbed off. Only the user of this camera can say definitively how it is being used.

William

You did not tell us if this happened while the camera was in your bag or while you were carrying it on your shoulder. I believe its the latter. In that case the length of the strap is permanently the same and the camera touches your body constantly at the same spot. If that spot is a metal zip or metal button on jeans etc. then this happens whithin very short time. I had exactly that same problem a few years ago with my new Canon 5D Mk III. I was quite upset when I saw it but it was obviously too late.

A shame as I know you waited a long time for camera. Is there a line of damage just above screen surround? It looks like it may clean off as said earlier. Hope you can get it resoved and change all potential causes for the future.

Edited by pedaes

Hi Dennersten

I have had my first M10 in mid feb and got it exchanged for a new one in June. No wear on the paintwork prior to exchange.

Had my current one since june, Use it 2 to 3 times a week. Hangs on my neck strap and swinging on my tummy most of the time.

Just took it for a 2 country 5 city trip. Been travelling in my carry on roller bag, then on arrival in my backpack or hanging on my neck.

Still looks pristine after 5 thousand plus shots

So either you had something scratchy in your bag or you got one with defective black chrome.  

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

I had that one time on my black chrome M6 almost at same place as your M10.

It turned out that an aluminium button leaved the aluminium trace.

When I rubbed it out, the black chrome of the M6 reappeared.

Maybe the same thing happened here, try with a rubber ...

That would be my guess, too. Did you try to remoove it with a soft rubber? Edited by happymac