Advertisement (gone after registration)

12 hours ago, dkmoore said:

Interesting. I’ve seen other black chrome cameras that wear to silver first. Maybe they eliminated or reduced the coating for purists like me that want to see some brassing. (Ha, prob not) 

My M10P is silver but my M10M is black chrome but the finish seems fairly tough. 

now my film MP on the other hand has a crap paint job. Bought in January I believe. But I’m ok with that because I want it to look like crap. Lol. 

Maybe the top coating is fairly tough but once you've worn through that, anything goes? Well a camera's meant to be used so I don't really mind it either lol.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bottom line, it's a wonderful camera the M10. And like a good musical instrument, whether a nice Telecaster or Stradivarius, it needs to be played, upon which wear happens! David

Wow Halleluja. You are right. It goes away with a rubber! Thankyou very much! 

But there is still a lot of variation possible in that (electro)chemical process. As well as a certain amount of - imprecision - in using the term "black chrome," since electroplating is not the only way of adding a black finish to metal (even excluding anodizing and paint). I strongly doubt that the "black chrome" on an M10 is identical, in either detailed process or final result, to that used on the M5, M4-2/P, M6/M7, or even the M8. Technology changes, and cost considerations change also

Posted Images

Ennnnh - there are layers - black chrome over nickel over brass. The color you may see will vary with the depth of the wear.

I had a black-paint camera (can't remember which brand) that wore to canary-yellow, and then to brass - because that company used a yellow primer coat under the black paint (but on top of the metal).

it is kinda like jawbreaker candies - the more you dig down through the layers, the more different colors you may see: https://www.candywarehouse.com/big-bruisers-jawbreakers-2lb-bag

I use my M10P a lot as I’m a freelance news paper photographer. I think, without knowing, that the black coating on this camera are some kind different from older M cameras. I’ve had many of them over the years M4P, M6, M7 with black chrome finish. The wear on my M10P seem to have a more golden look than the others. Nicer look to me as I also love the brassing on my MP. 
Hard to show in picture though. 

Am 6.5.2020 um 13:29 schrieb Marckyokay:

I’m also one of the bottom plate foil - removers 🤓

And that’s interesting information... Leica Wetzlar told me the top plate with installation would be at least 1000€... Who did you speak to?

Hi! I emailed with Andrea Frankl from the Leica Customer Care in Wetzlar and I asked her last week if it’s still the same price like in November 2019. I turns out I had a slight misunderstanding: 600€ is more or less the standard top plate with changing included but if there is more adjustment on the rangefinder necessary – e.g. you dropped your M10 – it’s probably more than 600€. I hope this is helpful.

2 minutes ago, RF’sDelight said:

Hi! I emailed with Andrea Frankl from the Leica Customer Care in Wetzlar and I asked her last week if it’s still the same price like in November 2019. I turns out I had a slight misunderstanding: 600€ is more or less the standard top plate with changing included but if there is more adjustment on the rangefinder necessary – e.g. you dropped your M10 – it’s probably more than 600€. I hope this is helpful.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Post a picture of how you carry the camera. It's probably hitting an item of clothing like your shirt button. Change your shirt or wear a T-shirt. Maybe its not the paint coming off. Rather the button leaving a stain. Try cleaning with isopropyl alcohol.

Edited by rramesh

I’ve been watching this thread with interest having bought a used M10-P last autumn. I have found mine is wearing through very, very slightly in certain places but nothing serious - in truth I’m not that precious about gear anyway and the M10-P will be with me for a long, long time. 

For some reason the area I am finding the most wear is on the edge of the viewfinder which is starting to go to a very slightly bronze, almost copper colour. It’s only really evident in sunlight/daylight - it just seems a very strange place for such wear given its location. 

I also have the official thumb grip which seems to be wearing a very similar colour too. 

• 1 year later...
On 6/27/2020 at 12:16 AM, erniethemilk said:

I’ve been watching this thread with interest having bought a used M10-P last autumn. I have found mine is wearing through very, very slightly in certain places but nothing serious - in truth I’m not that precious about gear anyway and the M10-P will be with me for a long, long time. 

For some reason the area I am finding the most wear is on the edge of the viewfinder which is starting to go to a very slightly bronze, almost copper colour. It’s only really evident in sunlight/daylight - it just seems a very strange place for such wear given its location. 

I also have the official thumb grip which seems to be wearing a very similar colour too. 

Agree about the bronzy glint to the edges and areas of wear (M10-D which I guess is same matte finish as your P) .  The photo on this page of the thread is how mine's looking and it doesn't appear to me to be the same silver tinted wear marks typical of black chrome finishes.   I'm really happy with it and think it will age really nice, if not quite as nice as a BP  

Although I do also agree with others that mention the 10-P / D finish is surprisingly 'soft' - the edges are wearing really quick which is kinda nice but I'm also picking up more mystery scratches than I expected.   No huge deal just an observation :) 

Edited by grahamc

Like so.  It's almost like the finish has a warm metallic tone to it in areas of wear.  Soft though, as this camera hasn't seen all that much use just yet. 

For what it's worth, the scratch near the logo is bright silver ( indicating it's gone deeper) that's what made me think the warmer tones people are reporting here are perhaps a property of this particular finish.    Or of course normal of b-chrome... 🤔 

Edited by grahamc

On a walk the other day with my new M10-R black paint and noticed a bunch of crazing on the back near the viewfinder, a really odd spot for wear. I realized it was from the pocket snap on the jacket I was wearing. It's rubbed out some and hard to see in low light, so not that concerned, though at first a bit bummed as it's not a normal wear spot. I'll be much more careful with snaps, buttons and zippers from now on. Never saw this before on any of the M's I've used. 

1 hour ago, charlesphoto99 said:

On a walk the other day with my new M10-R black paint and noticed a bunch of crazing on the back near the viewfinder, a really odd spot for wear. I realized it was from the pocket snap on the jacket I was wearing. It's rubbed out some and hard to see in low light, so not that concerned, though at first a bit bummed as it's not a normal wear spot. I'll be much more careful with snaps, buttons and zippers from now on. Never saw this before on any of the M's I've used. 

Bummer. Yeah I’m not completely annoyed with the scratches mine is picking up as they are they are to be used after all, but just a little surprised - as I’m sure you are. I agree it’s zippers etc on certain jackets that I think have been the culprits. Lesson learned !

On 10/26/2021 at 12:07 PM, grahamc said:

Like so.  It's almost like the finish has a warm metallic tone to it in areas of wear.  Soft though, as this camera hasn't seen all that much use just yet. 

For what it's worth, the scratch near the logo is bright silver ( indicating it's gone deeper) that's what made me think the warmer tones people are reporting here are perhaps a property of this particular finish.    Or of course normal of b-chrome... 🤔 

Very similar to how my M10-P is wearing!  Strangely enough it doesn’t seem to be getting any worse over time.