Weird film flaring

ace117

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi everyone,

i own both a m2 and a m4p. on all the rolls that ive shot on both cameras, ive noticed this weird flaring across the frame. i dont know if it is a light leak or if it could possibly be my lens. the m2 definately hasnt been cla'ed in a while but the m4p i just bought from a shop and has been cla'ed. i use a canon 50 1.4ltm and a voigtlander 35 1.4sc, but its the newer of the two lenses.

Ive noticed that the rolls of film occasionally have flare across the top of the frame usually spanning from the top right to 3/4 of the way to the left but only in some frames. in the m2, this light streak crosses frames on the flim, whereas on the m4p, it doesnt but the flaring seems to be in the same position ass the m2 (top right to the left). 

i suspect that my canon 50 1.4 may be the issue however im not sure if a lens is even capable of that kind of effect. otherwise i think i may have a light leak but i dont think id get a leak in both cameras at the same spot. the attached photo is from the m4p.

can anyone shed some light on the matter

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

You need to use just one lens, or at least work out if the 'leak' corresponds to either lens, which should be easy to do just by looking at the photo. If it is with both lenses then it can't be your Canon 50mm.

So are there any other common denominators, were the films all processed at the same time in the same lab? Are the films from the same batch? Are you using the lenses wide open, sometimes this can cause a shadow where the light is blocked by the film gate? Have you used the cameras on a tripod (it isn't unknown to 'pop' the tripod bush by using too long a screw)? There are many possible causes, you need to narrow it down.

Edited by 250swb

This is the reason why my M4-2 went last time for service.

It appeared first on M4-2 in 2016 as rare occurrence and then was progressing. With Summarit-M 35 and Jupiter-12 lenses. After M4-2 went for first service in late 2016 for different reason this light leak became worse. I returned it back and it was serviced for this reason, but no guaranties. So far it is not here. If it will reoccurs, I was told curtains needs to be replaced.  

33279092761_47cd9c0f64_o.jpg

29860759676_1e369e4800_o.jpg

M4-2_s35_K400_hcB_IlfRC8x10_Feb17116.jpg

M4-2_J12_RPX400hcB_AGFA8x10BroviraII_Ari

Edited by Ko.Fe.

If I'm not mistaken, the image records Upside down. Therefore this is the bottom of the door.

Take a look if the door is loose and if the bottom plate is firm. Take Out the lens and stick your eye inside the mount and look for leaks.

Also, put the lens on the camera and stick your eye in the back without the door. Looks for leaks from the lens mount.

I'm fairly certain that it has to do with a warped lens mount.

Edited by NB23

Thanks for all the replies everyone. i will shoot my m4 with only one lens and see how it goes. i think it may be the shutter baffle foam which may have been degraded over time and letting light reflect past the shutter under bright light conditions but i cant be certain. i will shoot a roll and see how it goes

• 4 weeks later...

earlygallery has made the correct diagnosis. This is a fairly common problem and there are other threads on this board dealing with it.  Your shutter curtain is, indeed, loose and not making contact with the lower baffle in the gate.  You can try to tighten the curtains -- there's instruction online.  I wouldn't go more than a quarter turn, as it could affect your curtain timings.  I did this and it helped - but didn't cure it.  The real fix is an expensive disassembly that I was discouraged from doing (on an M2). Although I can't believe that new shutter curtains wouldn't solve it.

Here's what I do now to control the problem:  1) stop the lens down all the way between exterior shots (I'm usually OK inside) or, 2) use a lens cap, or 3) if I take a great shot, advance the film, so that the shot isn't in the gate.  Let the unexposed frame take the burn (if it's in the gate for any length of time - say, 5 minutes), then advance again before your next shot.  You lose a frame, but you save the good photos.

It's a drag, I know.  But that's why your problem in intermittent; it's only the shots that are left in the gate that get affected.