What do we photograph on the streets?

colint544

Advertisement (gone after registration)

M10 + Summilux 24mm

Girls&Roses

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 12

(mono1+35cron/v4)

Padlocked - pre-lockdown

M2 VM35/2 HP5+

• Like 4

Really I just look for images that catch my eye and present an interesting subject or composition. I shoot in DNG and sometimes convert to black and white but mostly retain color where it adds to the image in some way. Where possible I like to use reflections, distortion and the flare that comes from shooting through windows, taking some of the greats like Leiter as my inspiration. 

Playing the Street by Life in Shadows, on Flickr

Waterwall 2 by Life in Shadows, on Flickr

Through a glass darkly 3 by Life in Shadows, on Flickr

Barber Poles by Life in Shadows, on Flickr

Expresso Bar 2 by Life in Shadows, on Flickr

Through a glass darkly 6 by Life in Shadows, on Flickr

Street Performer by Life in Shadows, on Flickr

Summer Rain, City Street by Life in Shadows, on Flickr

Edited by peterm1_Leica
  • Like 14

Waiting and hoping...  M9, 35mm Biogon f2.  (London 2013).

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, erl said:

Drunk again?

You've met him at a One Challenge, John, it's forum member Myvalko and while we both might have performed a public service by reducing the amount of beer available to tempt those who probably should not drink it, neither of us was djzrunk in the normal shenshe of the word (hic).  If anything it was the ground that was djzrunk.  Hah!  We were simply being public spirited - and little thanks (hic) we got for it too.

Pete.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, farnz said:

You've met him at a One Challenge, John, it's forum member Myvalko and while we both might have performed a public service by reducing the amount of beer available to tempt those who probably should not drink it, neither of us was djzrunk in the normal shenshe of the word (hic).  If anything it was the ground that was djzrunk.  Hah!  We were simply being public spirited - and little thanks (hic) we got for it too.

Pete.

Pete, I was not referring to the subject, but rather the photographers angle, but I do get that it takes two to tango. Or should that be TU Tu to tangle? 😜

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

(mono1+35cron/v4)

I used to love going to see The Fall. If you aren't aware of them, they were effectively one man - Mark E Smith - with an ever changing roster of musicians backing him. They were like nothing else. John Peel's favourite group. They influenced so many of the great artists. 

They were never really mainstream, and always played small venues. One of the many upsides of that was that the security never seemed to care if the punters brought proper cameras in with them. I would sometimes bring my M Monocrom, fitted with a vintage 90mm Tele-Elmarit "fat" version 1, and I never had to leave it at the door. I'd take a few souvenir snaps, then put the camera away.

Been going through the archive in this lockdown, and came across this shot - from Glasgow in 2012 - that I hadn't properly looked at before. It's Mark E Smith, seen over the tuning keys of Peter Greenway's guitar. The venues were usually badly lit, and he would often wear black. He would never engage with the crowd, he'd just concentrate on the music. I liked that about him. There was never any showboating. But I like this photograph, and it reminds me why we all take photographs.

Mark E Smith died in 2018. We can no longer see his group. My favourite tribute to him was by Frank Skinner:

"I have stood in many dark clubs watching Mark E. Smith prowling the stage amidst a swirl of mic leads and gaffer tape, interfering with speaker knobs, prodding discordantly at keyboards, proclaiming his dark lyrics like a man shouting from a prison window. They were the most exciting music gigs I ever saw or will ever see. Mark went his own way, regardless of fashion or financial rewards. He produced the most original, thought-provoking, spine-tingling music I've ever heard. When I finally got to interview him, he turned up an hour late and greeted me with, 'Hello, Stewart.' I loved him. He was quite simply better than all the rest. I thought he'd live forever. He seemed too belligerent to die."

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

vor 12 Stunden schrieb colint544:

Always know it's a picture by you before I see who it's by. Lovely shot.

thx colins....same here when I take a look at your picts 😉

Train car

Leica CL + Summicron-TL 23/f2

• Like 15

Salisbury - 2011 - Leica M8, Summicron 28

• Like 13