Etrin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I wonder if anybody could date this for me. Unfortunately the photographs make it look darker than it is. It is a much lighter brown than the other Etrin I had.

The word Leitz is on the front of the case above the fastener too but isn't clear in the photo.

There is no compartment for the double sided film holder inside as there is with my previous etrin.

Richard

Do you mean that there is not the space (at side of the body) to accomodate the 2 film boxes ? If so it could be not an ETRIN but an ETRUX :

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

But the bag you depict seems to me, by sight, rather wide for the body only (even if with rangefinder)...

The above page is a 1933 catalog... a similar page from a 1935 catalog displays the ETRUX... and it has a slightly different closure (not with the "half moon" button)... but it could have been changed in the meantime... but the proportions are imho different from your item, which indeed looks more like an ETRIN :

Edited by luigi bertolotti

Hello there is space at the side of the body to accommodate the two films. The enclosure just appears to be missing.

The leather feels lighter and thinner than my previous etrin which also felt heavier. Richard

The ETRIN case dates from the late 1920s onwards. Laney gives the start date as 1927, but I have seen earlier ones. Some of the early ones, such as the one I have from 1926, have a square type clasp instead of the crescent type one shown above. I will post a photo later to show the difference. Some of the early square type clasp models have leather with horizontal markings - one was sold at Westlicht some years ago. The engraving of the names varies a lot and both Leica and Leitz appear (or do not appear) above and below the clasp - all early Leica items were subject to a lot of sample variation. All ETRINs I have seen have a tubular area into which a holder with two FILCA cassettes can be inserted. 

The first question about your ETRIN is whether it is the same size as the other one you have. The second question is whether there are any signs inside of the tubular area for FILCAs. It is possible that Leica did make later ETRINs (possibly after the late 1930s) without the tubular area as ready filled film cassettes became more widely available and used.

William

Posts intermixed.. :) OK, is ETRIN and not ETRUX, definitely... and seems that yours has not the facility to attach the separate rangefinder on top... the small rangefinder FOKOS entered in 1933... and I don't think that the previous "long" rangefinders (FODIS FOFER etc...) could be accomodated into the ETRIN... so, given that, as William says, ETRIN predates significantly the FOKOS, yours can be an ETRIN at least "pre-1933"

... and... maybe... older Leicas - no RF be it separate or coupled... were a bit lighter than the "30's" ones... which could explain the thinner leather...

(some VIDOM magazin had surely a detailed article on those early "no pronto" bags...)

Edited by luigi bertolotti

Here is a photo of two ETRINs with the cameras with which they came. The one on the left has the square clasp which I mentioned above. The one on the right has the crescent shaped clasp. Both cases have the tubular area for the FILCA holder and the clasp inside the lid for the FODIS/FODUA rangefinder. The camera on the left is a four digit SN16xx from 1926. It spent its life, I believe in the tropics (possibly India) and has lost its lacquer. It has the early 'mushroom' shutter button and the Elmar lens has all the early features (as per von Einem) including no 7 metre mark and a curved lip on the front. The infinity button looks like a replacement by a local craftsman - there were a few of those in India. The camera on the right is a five digit SN 11xxx from 1928 and it has the 'dimpled mushroom' shutter button and some extremely well put on eyelets for a strap (it is not clear if these came from Leica, but the workmanship is of a very high order). With this camera I received the FODIS/FODUA shown here, which fits in both cases. I also received the FILCA holder (also fits in both cases) and the two FILCA cassettes (Type A and Type B ) which are shown here and the lens cap.

I bought both of these sets from reputable auctioneers. An early ETRIN with a square clasp identical to the one shown above and horizontal markings on the leather sold for a substantial sum at Westlicht some years ago.

William

Edited by willeica
  • Like 5

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks for this. There is facility to attach the separate rangefinder as there is a clip to allow this.

I would be delighted if this was pre 1933 as it is in amazing condition. Shame it doesn't have/ never had the compartment for the cassettes

• 2 years later...

I now have an ETRIN with Fodis holder and extra compartment for the FILCA holder.
Have a question and please: Could someone for me measure the FILCA holder (the complete tube? Length x width and inside diameter?)
Inch or cm it does matter.
Thank you very much. I would like to recreate the tube for the FILCA.

Unfortunately, I do not have a FILCA film spool yet.
You can not do that for modern films. It is then too little space.

The tube overall is 52mm long, 30mm diameter at the base and about 2mm wider at the cap end and about 29mm inside. The one I measured has a felt lining. They are common enough to buy. From the ones I have seen the earliest version has a more rounded top to the lid than the normal type.

There is another chain of postings somewhere about the camera cases as I posted a picture of my ETTWO case.

Edited by Pyrogallol

Many thanks Pyrogallol for your effort! Sorry I did not write correctly ... I want the container for 2 cartridges made of paper / leather / artificial leather? to build. But important is the inner diameter of 29mm for the cartridges.

The other dimensions then arise. Camera - Container - FODIS

I think there were different containers. For 1 cartridge, for 2 aluminum cartridges and for 2 cartridges of paper with 2 lids top and bottom.

I have an ETRIN like this. With Halfmoon and like to build this Container. https://www.invaluable.com/auction-lot/camera-leitz-accessories-etrin-leica-i-outf-282-c-0o91h07m9y

Edited by Reini

For illustration :

• Like 3

Because it is question of ETRIN, I am pleased to show here the very special ETRIN case I had in my Fontenelle collection (amd for which I never found a code). It is definitely a Leitz production, with a detachable same leather "tube" on its side for an "extinctometer" or first type of available "lightmeter".

And as we speak of "cases", here are also images of the very first "ERC" offered for the Leica I (A) : an ESNEL with no fastening screw (only a curved front to secure tha camera) and a sides fixed strap (contrary to the "classic" one which goes around the ERC and is removable).

p

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Reini said:

I now have an ETRIN with Fodis holder and extra compartment for the FILCA holder.
Have a question and please: Could someone for me measure the FILCA holder (the complete tube? Length x width and inside diameter?)
Inch or cm it does matter.
Thank you very much. I would like to recreate the tube for the FILCA.

Unfortunately, I do not have a FILCA film spool yet.
You can not do that for modern films. It is then too little space.

Are you talking about the metal holder or the tube (seems to be made from cardboard) for the ETRIN shown in my photo above which holds two FILCAs, one at each end? This does not take the metal holders. If you want the dimensions of the tube I can post them here.

William

Edited by willeica
  • Thanks 1

vor 21 Minuten schrieb willeica:

Are you talking about the metal holder or the tube (seems to be made from cardboard) for the ETRIN shown in my photo above which holds two FILCAs, one at each end? This does not take the metal holders. If you want the dimensions of the tube I can post them here.

William

Yes willileica! Thank you!
This is whath i mean. the tube made cardboard 😉 

Sorry for my bad englisch, don't know Cardboard.
I did not want to open a new topic in the german forum.

Edited by Reini

4 hours ago, Reini said:

Yes willileica! Thank you!
This is whath i mean. the tube made cardboard 😉 

Sorry for my bad englisch, don't know Cardboard.
I did not want to open a new topic in the german forum.

Will post the numbers here on Sunday. To late to take it out of the cabinet now.

William

Here is the FILCA holder closed and open.

The dimensions are:

Diameter - 35mm

Overall length 115mm

Cap length 25mm

'Collar' Depth 16mm

Inside body length, including collars 93mm

It will be noted that the FILCAs (in this case a Type A on the left and a Type B on the right) protrude from the inside body and they are a very snug fit, requiring the tab etc to be gripped for removal. The overall item fits in the side pocket inside the ETRIN. The construction appears to be of strong cardboard covered in a painted canvas type material with some paper covering on the 'collars'. The top inside of the caps and the 'barrier' between the FILCAS inside are covered in purple crushed velvet. Purple was the Leica corporate box etc colour before they switched to red. While cardboard was used for the 'frame' here, the item is of strong construction. This one is 90 years old.

I hope this information is of use to Reini and other forum members.

William

vor 56 Minuten schrieb willeica:

I hope this information is of use to Reini and other forum members.

William

Yes it is William.

Thanks a lot for your informative help!

Ps.: Now it's a problem. In my Etrin fit max. 30mm plus camera. This is the bag with extra compartment for the container.
In order to complete everything I will have to search for aluminum.

Maybe I'll build one out of cardboard anyway. If I already have the useful information from you William.

Edited by Reini

4 hours ago, Reini said:

Yes it is William.

Thanks a lot for your informative help!

Ps.: Now it's a problem. In my Etrin fit max. 30mm plus camera. This is the bag with extra compartment for the container.
In order to complete everything I will have to search for aluminum.

Maybe I'll build one out of cardboard anyway. If I already have the useful information from you William.

Can you show a picture of your ETRIN? Does it have a side pocket? What size is that? I don't have an exact measuring tool, but I suspect that the actual width could be in between 30mm and 35mm, say about 32mm. If you have FILCAS put them into the pocket and see what space you have around them. The aluminium cans are about the same width, but seem to be slightIy thicker at the top. You could try two of them on top of one another. It is very difficult to do this over the internet. You need to use trial and error yourself. I suggest you make a tube that holds the FILCAs snugly and then see if that fits in the side pocket.

William

• Thanks 1