Is film only for prints? Thinking of M6 Black paint

reddot925

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello all, 

I love the film look and also the beautiful M3 and M6.   I only currently use M10 and MM.

Now I'm seriously thinking about the M6 but my question is if I don't care for prints but love the film look, does it make sense to develop the negatives into files and straight to computer?   Am I just missing the whole point of film, is it to just to get prints from the negatives like the old days? 

I'm an old film person. One observation. For 35mm film, I enlarged B&W using a top quality Leitz condenser enlarger and excellent Nikon lens and the best grain focusing device to ~5x to ~10x  enlargements.

At my day job I had use of a high quality film scanner so I scanned a negative I had printed. Surprise - the output from the scanned negative was so much sharper than the original enlarger print that I did not like the sharper outcome.

How can this be? Well, optical enlargement loses sharpness even with the best enlarger and best lens. So you decide. It's all about choice.

An aside, please: as I mentioned in a recent post - we are highly unlikely to get the so-called Leica Glow of early film using digital sensors. The glow does exist. It largely attributed to the film used. I can explain further.

Edited by pico
  • Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

M-E and couple of film M user here. Film look is modern term. It came strictly from those who scans and process negatives digitally. Here is absolutely nothing wrong with it. It is fun at its own, because scanner pickups all of the grain. So, film look folks are mostly those who talks about difference in film emulsions. And scanned film will always looks different from digitally taken images. Color and BW. Always.

Now, have you been in galleries, museums? Do you have HCB, GW, Evans, Karsh, Bown or Arbus books? I have been and I have. I like the look and feel of the media. What is this media? ... Darkroom prints and scans, reproductions for the prints. Now you know why I like print more than scan.

36918172720_84bd3cbe10_o.jpg

• Like 2

... does it make sense to develop the negatives into files and straight to computer? 

No, not really. To get the most out of (colour or black&white negative) film, you need to make prints in the wet darkroom. Scanning and then going from there is just for displaying a glimpse of your work on the Internet ... but that's second-level utilisation of the negatives. Silver-gelatine prints are the real thing.

• Like 1

Hello all,

...does it make sense to develop the negatives into files and straight to computer?

A good question, and I suspect the topic could be broadened to consider the type of scanner to be employed. For instance a dedicated scanner with grey scale and colour capabilities selected appropriately to the film type, or a 'camera-scan' equipped with a bayer filter. When I BEOON scan using my M240, the B&W film files have weird colours that have to be desaturated. It seems totally wrong to use a bayer equiped camera to scan B&W, but it works, although the resulting images look somewhat digital, the digital camera has imposed some of its digital signature. Edited by Steve Ricoh

If you do scan rather than print, there's nothing to stop you returning to print your negatives in the future if you should have a change of heart, so the best of both worlds.

And with colour negative, I think exposing for the shadows and the aesthetic of how highlights are resolved is infinitely more pleasing than digital, even if the delivery method is still digital. YMMV.

Film is whatever you want it to be but I agree that a print is still the 'best' outcome. And of course good light is still good light and a good picture still a good picture, however you got 'there'.

• Like 2

Film is much more versatile than digital. You can make slides. You can make analog prints. Or you can scan the negatives and view the images on a computer, tablet or phone or make digital prints.

There are also processes to convert digital files to a wet print.

Hybrid goes both ways.

Jeff

• Like 3

If you want to shoot film because you love the film look, then just shoot film!

Print it wet, scan and print, scan only, it doesn't make any difference to anyone else. If you want to, do it.

FYI the M6 did not come in black paint (per your title). There are multiple threads on choosing a film M for reference.

Enjoy your journey :)

FYI the M6 did not come in black paint (per your title). There are multiple threads on choosing a film M for reference.

Enjoy your journey :)

I hate to be a pedant but it did:

https://www.cameraquest.com/lm6lhsa.htm

https://www.cameraquest.com/m62000.htm

https://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/Leica/Leica-M6/M6TTL-Dragon2000/index.htm

http://www.japancamerahunter.com/2012/12/leica-m6-ttl-millennium-nsh-special-edition-review-by-ebb-bayarsaikhan/

Edited by chris_livsey

I only currently use M10 and MM.

Now I'm seriously thinking about the M6 but my question is if I don't care for prints but love the film look, does it make sense to develop the negatives into files and straight to computer? 

in a rational way it does not male sense at all. M10 and MM should give you the best color or BW-data for procession of a good picture available. no M6 needed for that.

is it fun? heck yes! go ahead, get an M6 or just go the complete way to an M2, M3 oder M-A and have fun with it. you won't be disapointed.

but don't expect your pictures to become any better from this. that won't happen!

• Like 1

An aside, please: as I mentioned in a recent post - we are highly unlikely to get the so-called Leica Glow of early film using digital sensors. The glow does exist. It largely attributed to the film used. I can explain further.

Hi John, can you refer me to the recent post? I'd love to read this as most of the glow talk is about lenses.

• Like 1