Nitecore Charger for M240

stephengv

I havent got one yet - it is on my list of things i need.

This way i can charge the battery from the car, computer, solar panel or powerbank when i am away from home.

It also appears to be much smaller than the supplied charger.

I haven't yet found the time to do any meaningful tests, with the exception of checking to see that it does indeed charge a battery.  However, it's small, it's light, it works, it takes only 5V, it's finally available and the maker has a good reputation for chargers, I believe. It also has a very fancy display which looks very scientific; I haven't the foggiest whether I need all that data it throws at me. 

Some time this winter I might be able to do some comparisons. Don't hold your breath.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The M240 has such a long battery life, i really don't worry about losing power or needing a charger on the run. I always carry

a second charged battery, but I have never had to switch to it during a day's shooting. But then again, I'm not a wedding shooter

and my daily shooting is well within the 300 shot range.

I purchased 2 of the NC USB chargers each for the M9, M240, Q and SL. I tested all the chargers on my batteries and they took comparable times compared to the Leica OEM chargers. In addition the NC ones tell if the battery remaIns in a good versus other condition.

The price of the chargers seem so much more reasonable for what it is, a simple device. My reason for getting multiple chargers is the various prior posts reporting unexpected Leica charger failures that seem inevitable. Given their smaller size, I won't be using my Leica ones either at home or when I travel.

• Like 1

I purchased 2 of the NC USB chargers each for the M9, M240, Q and SL. I tested all the chargers on my batteries and they took comparable times compared to the Leica OEM chargers. In addition the NC ones tell if the battery remaIns in a good versus other condition.

The price of the chargers seem so much more reasonable for what it is, a simple device. My reason for getting multiple chargers is the various prior posts reporting unexpected Leica charger failures that seem inevitable. Given their smaller size, I won't be using my Leica ones either at home or when I travel.

It's the first time I heard of Leica charger failures. Can you give more info? does it affect the M240 chargers? 

I just received my charger and a partially discharged battery is on it now.   The included instruction sheet is very sparse.  I am getting alternating displays; one is something like 35degrees C  84mah and the other display shows 8V and 44mah.   Both displays change values somewhat with each cycle, and the battery charging icon steps through as I think it should.   How will I know when the battery is fully charged?  
Does the display just turn off?

I just received my charger and a partially discharged battery is on it now.   The included instruction sheet is very sparse.  I am getting alternating displays; one is something like 35degrees C  84mah and the other display shows 8V and 44mah.   Both displays change values somewhat with each cycle, and the battery charging icon steps through as I think it should.   How will I know when the battery is fully charged?  

I don't have the charger, but from the pics on the site, it appears there is a battery level indicator on the left hand side of the display.

By now you probably know what the charger does when it is done. It shows that on the display. I think it displays "done", if I remember that correctly.

• Like 1

Manual here http://charger.nitecore.com/pdf/ULM240_UM_EN.pdf

Think it says "END" when finished charging

Yes, I have the manual, but if you read through that sheet, it does not say what the displays mean, or what indication there is when charging is complete.   That is what I meant by a "sparse" manual.

You  and pop are correct however, it does show "end" when charging is complete.   Thanks for your help.

Anyone know what the changing 'mah' displays indicate about the battery or charge conditions?   I understand the battery icon display and the final charged voltage dispaly, but not the two changing mah readings.

Edited by RonM

Yes, I have the manual, but if you read through that sheet, it does not say what the displays mean, or what indication there is when charging is complete.   That is what I meant by a "sparse" manual.

You  and pop are correct however, it does show "end" when charging is complete.   Thanks for your help.

Anyone know what the changing 'mah' displays indicate about the battery or charge conditions?   I understand the battery icon display and the final charged voltage dispaly, but not the two changing mah readings.

milliamps per hour.  It is a nice inexpensive charger.  I had a M-8 charger that misfunctioned.  The M & M-P (240) batteries do last a long time and I have never used more than 1 in a day but what happens when you are on a vacation that exceeds a couple of days and your charger, died, got stepped on or was left behind in a hotel room.  A very lightweight backup that can be powered by multiple USB sources is nice to have or buy two and leave the Leica one at home. I paid $22.50 USC on eBay with free shipping.

milliamps per hour.  It is a nice inexpensive charger.  I had a M-8 charger that misfunctioned.  The M & M-P (240) batteries do last a long time and I have never used more than 1 in a day but what happens when you are on a vacation that exceeds a couple of days and your charger, died, got stepped on or was left behind in a hotel room.  A very lightweight backup that can be powered by multiple USB sources is nice to have or buy two and leave the Leica one at home. I paid $22.50 USC on eBay with free shipping.

Yes, I know mah is milliamps per hour, but what I was looking for was an explanation of the actual numbers that appear (and change) as the battery is charging.   The function of the unit is to charge the battery, and it does appear to do that very well,  but since the information is on the display,  what use is the information is it giving, since the numbers are constantly changing, and each set is different.   Or is this just some fancy bells and whistles to make the unit "look" more technically sophisticated?

Edited by RonM