How to move from buying gear to putting it to life? (A hello & question from Germany...)

martin1977

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi everyone,

this is my first post after reading in this forum for quite a while. I am a 40year old male from Hamburg Germany who is still quite new to the Leica world: I am actually very thankful to a lot of users in here, whose comments, knowledge and wisdom attracted me to the Leica world in the first place. I bought a Leica Q in January 2016 and caught the bug immediately. Now, for my 40th birthday, I felt I could be so self-indulgent to buy my first "M", a used 240.

What has happened since is that I have spent quite a while scanning these forums, retailers’ websites, eBay and the like to find out about the right gear to really start my journey. I was lucky to get my hands on a used Summicron 35 (from 1961) in great state, a Summilux 50 ASPH and a APO Summicron 90 – each of them in great state at quite bargain deals – although I am obviously close to bankruptcy now nevertheless, not being particularly wealthy and doing a rather ordinary day job as an educator.

It is not that I do not use this new gear. I LOVE using it and it still gives me goosebumps some time for pure joy to touch the objects, make photos (mostly of my two kids aged 3 and 5), try them out. However, I also realize that somehow, I cannot stop looking around for other lenses, vintage ones, bargain ones, newer ones (I feel I still lack something on the wide-angle side, which could be filled by the Q, which however I have hardly touched since owning the M). To be honest, I spend ridiculous amounts of time searching the web for additional gear – which I could use for actually USING the ones I have (or playing with my kids, or doing other stuff for that matter...)

So, my question is this: does this sound familiar to some? What has helped others to move from the anxiety of acquisition and shopping around to committing to what is there and using it? I am also looking for inspiration outside photographing my kids, but with time constraints between an intense job and family life, I always feel I do not have enough time on my hand to go out and shoot on my own in a relaxed way (whereas I do my googling and reading mostly on commutes or late evenings...). Nevertheless, I feel there must be a way to focus more on using the camera in a systematic way, that builds further knowledge – and I'd be happy for any advice or inspiration.

Sorry for the long text – looking forward to your feedback!

• Like 1

Martin I understand. I am new to the forum too and just getting all that I need. Cameras lenses and the like. I was a photographer many years ago but due to having a family and my professional life I didn't have the time or the budget. Now I have the time and budget so here I go into Leica gear. 

I wish to perfect the zone system for black and white. I want to do street and close-up work to begin with. I also like the portraiture...

My cameras are the Leica R4-S with a Elmarit-R 24mm f2.8; Macro-Elmatit-R 60mm f2.8; 35/70mm Vario-Elmar-R f3.5; 80-200mm f4.5Vario-Elmar-R.  I just purchased the Summilux 80mm

f1.4

With two bodies this will be fun.

I also acquired two F 3s. One has a 5cm f 2 Summicron lens and the other an Summitar 5cm f2...there is also a 35mm f3.5

I guess I'm set for awhile so my next step is to begin bulk loading B&W film.

I know what you mean. Its hard to stop looking and get taking photos.

I have a couple of years till full retirement and I do have dreams....

Anyone with a great source for mastering the zone system?

Oh yea I need an improved metering system especially for the F3s. Any suggestions?

• 4 weeks later...