A reportage from Mosul and north iraq with a Leica Q

giuliomagnifico

About one month ago I travelled to Iraq (for the second time in my life) in order to make a reportage in the city of Mosul and the refugees camp... now the photos are online! Not all the photos are made with the Leica Q because I went with the Q and a Nikon D800E with a 105 macro lens.

Here you can view all the photos, plus I put in this thread some photos taken with the Leica Q. It has been a great choice for this reportage!

The sharpness and the overall user experience is incredible... I love this camera! Battery never faults, dust has never been a problem and the power of this small camera is incredible. The only little trouble I found is with the heat and heat. The camera has never shuts down itself but few times after a lot of photos under the sun with 45 degrees it became hot to keep in my hand, although I used it with the Leica grip. But it doesn't mean the camera has trouble with the heat but only that it dissipates well the heat ;)

Thanks for your time, here are some photos taken with the Q.

All the photos and videos are here:

https://www.giuliomagnifico.it/mosul-iraq-2017

https://www.giuliomagnifico.it/iraq-2017

pHDmaeZ.jpg

Il26mLi.jpg

iOx5ZsO.jpg

J0dTwTI.jpg

yI3onlN.jpg

idLnjKK.jpg

QD3pB4X.jpg

And that's me with the Q always at my neck :lol:

kWO7bvn.jpg

RR7lZ43.jpg

3YDmtv6.jpg

Wow. I admire the great work you do telling these poor folks stories. Truly, a great job!! Thank you.

Thanks to all friends! Im realy glad to read these messages about my work  :)

Wow...really nice.  I thoroughly enjoyed your photos.  Curious, how much did you use your other camera vs using the Q?

I used the Nikon for the portraits and some photos in Mosul, when I needed a bit of zoom (105mm), but I used the Q almost twice than the D800E  :lol:

EmN4rL7.png

Thanks a lot for the messages, really!  :wub: I'm glad to know that i've done "something" for the world, in order to make people to understand what's the situation of the refugees and why the are escaping from their cities.... just see how is Mosul  :rolleyes:

These are very strong photos, bravo Giulio. They are all excellent but I specially like the second with the people in the room and the special light entering. As other already said it is so sad that these things happen...you are3 doing a great job letting us know...grazie.

robert

PS: be careful be safe please

• Like 1

I visited your website. Powerful, but tasteful and respectful presentation. Your background videos on your website provide a nice addition to the gallery photos. Did you use the Q to take these?

Thanks! For the videos I used a Polaroid Cube Plus mounted above the Q, and sometimes the iPhone 7! For the photos int the “photo diary” page, I used only the iPhone 7.

• Like 1

Very nice work.  Was this a personal project, or were you on assignment?  Freelance?

Freelance, I entered Mosul (and Iraq) with taxi and other cars, then I met my Kurdish/Yazidi friend... I prefer to go alone, not embedded, because I'm "more free" to do (and go) where I want and not stay behind the iraqi militaries..

Here we are in Mosul, before entered in the old city. Me, my yazidi friend (who took the photo) and the fabulous taxi driver, who bring us in (and out, that has been more complicated then enter) to the old city of Mosul.

nA0SSq8.jpg

He left us just over the new bridge with his taxi, then I gave a camera to my yazidi friend and I said him "follow me"

7xtc2xG.jpg

After some times (I think about 1/2 hours) that we were alone around in the old city, an Iraqi tank/militaries found us and they bring us to a checkpoint were the militaries prevented us to take more photos. When we left the city, at the first checkpoint with iraqi militaries, they forced me to delete all the photos in my cameras/memory card/iphone but I recovered all of the images as soon I arrived to my hotel (with sandisk recovery software). And in the confusion I left my passport at the checkpoint, we passed another (Peshmerga) checkpoint and they didn't ask me for the passport. Just after this second checkpoint I realized that I was without my passport! :o  The problem was that I can't go back in Mosul without the passport... so the taxi driver left his driver license in order to ensure for me and then we went again in Mosul to take my passport  :rolleyes:  

yeah it was an hard day... in fact I fell asleep many times between a checkpoint and the other  :lol: (there are about 4/5 checkpoints to Mosul from Dahuk)

NRX8eOu.jpg

Excellent reportage.

thank you! 

Edited by giuliomagnifico
  • Like 2