Workflow suggestions for uploading and editing Raw files on iPhone or iPad please?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Having the convenience to upload images to quickly edit and share using the T's app is great - but I want to instead work with DNg files on my iPhone (or iPad) with Lightroom Mobile or whatever app.

Is there an easy way, using an SD reader and 3rd party apps, to upload only DNG files to my iPhonei/iPad please (and skip the JpG's)?

If we weren't forced to always shoot JPG's on the T, this wouldn't be an issue.

I otherwise end up editing and sharing JPG's in my phone (which I upload through the T app), which are not early as nice as the DNG files which i end up editing yet again...

I appreciate any suggestions anyone may have to work with DNG's in the field with an iPhone.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read and perhaps offer a suggestion.

Best

DGP

Edited by Guest

if you have the apple camera connection kit- you can import directly from your leica to the ipad. . .

once in the ipad you edit with several diff't apps (including lightroom mobile/ maxcurves/ ps express/ piRAWnha )  i know that ps express and lightroom give you the option to edit the 'original dng' on my Q i shoot only DNG and i know that all of the above will edit DNG'S

my current favorite app is lightroom mobile followed closely by maxcurves

if you have an ipad pro other apps are available. which are available only on the ipad pro line

if you have the apple camera connection kit- you can import directly from your leica to the ipad. . .

once in the ipad you edit with several diff't apps (including lightroom mobile/ maxcurves/ ps express/ piRAWnha ) i know that ps express and lightroom give you the option to edit the 'original dng' on my Q i shoot only DNG and i know that all of the above will edit DNG'S

my current favorite app is lightroom mobile followed closely by maxcurves

if you have an ipad pro other apps are available. which are available only on the ipad pro line

Yes. One of them is Affinity which I like and use. I prefer it on the desktop but the iPad Pro app is excellent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I import DNG files from the Leica into my iPad Pro 12.9” (2017) via the Apple camera connection kit. This is quick and works flawlessly. Once imported I process them in Snapseed which is currently my favourite App for processing. I also have the highly touted Affinity photo which is a powerful app, but unfortunately importing and exporting photos to and from the app is clunky and buggy, so I don’t use it unless I can’t do what I want via Snapseed. Snapseed (a Google app) itself is also a powerful app with many features, and it’s free. The user interface is delightfully simple and quick. The app incorporates Layers and selective processing etc. Google has a nice help page demonstrating its many features. For me, the main advantage of Snapseed vs the other photo editing apps I’ve tried is in its saving options. These are the three options:

“Save with changes you can undo” over the original imported file.

“Save a copy with changes you can undo”.

“Export a copy with permanent changes”.

Exported files can be full res and full size jpegs, or the user can select lower res and size.

I would suggest you first try Snapseed. Then If you need more versatility try Affinity photo or LR or one of the many other apps.

Hope this helps.

As Firoze says, on the iPad pro the connection kit uploads DNG's by default and leaves the jpg's.

I'd strongly recommend trying Photoshop Fix on the ipad ...... you can use a finger on the touchscreen to locally change saturation and exposure etc. making quite complex processing possible ..... and very quick. The results can be exported to Photoshop as layers via the Cloud. The only deficiency is the lack of flexible global colour correction.

The LR app is fine, but lacks the ease of local control. 

This was processed with Photoshop Fix on the ipad pro whilst coming back by car from the location on saturday evening ...... in fact I had processed all the decent shots in the 20mins it took to drive back. Not sure I could have done much better in LR on my Mac at home ..... 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by thighslapper
  • Like 4

As Firoze says, on the iPad pro the connection kit uploads DNG's by default and leaves the jpg's.

I'd strongly recommend trying Photoshop Fix on the ipad ...... you can use a finger on the touchscreen to locally change saturation and exposure etc. making quite complex processing possible ..... and very quick. The results can be exported to Photoshop as layers via the Cloud. The only deficiency is the lack of flexible global colour correction.

The LR app is fine, but lacks the ease of local control. 

This was processed with Photoshop Fix on the ipad pro whilst coming back by car from the location on saturday evening ...... in fact I had processed all the decent shots in the 20mins it took to drive back. Not sure I could have done much better in LR on my Mac at home ..... 

Are you suggesting that you are doing this transfer with camera/IPad Pro connection?  I transfer my shots to my IPad Pro with a SD card transfer. When my dng and jpeg files are transferred, I can not see the raw files on the IPad. I see them only when I transfer them  to my PC from IPad! ... What am I doing wrong?

Do you actually see your dng files on your IPad?

Edited by Louis

Are you suggesting that you are doing this transfer with camera/IPad Pro connection? I transfer my shots to my IPad Pro with a SD card transfer. When my dng and jpeg files are transferred, I can not see the raw files on the IPad. I see them only when I transfer them to my PC from IPad! ... What am I doing wrong?

Do you actually see your dng files on your IPad?

In the Apple Photos app, you will see only the jpegs. If you open the photo in Snapseed or Affinity or LR on iPad, these apps will import the DNG’s, and you can edit the DNG’s through these apps. Of course besides these mentioned apps, there are many other apps available on the AppStore which can handle DNG’s. Edited by firoze
  • Like 2

In the Apple Photos app, you will see only the jpegs. If you open the photo in Snapseed or Affinity or LR on iPad, these apps will import the DNG’s, and you can edit the DNG’s through these apps. Of course besides these mentioned apps, there are many other apps available on the AppStore which can handle DNG’s.

That is my experience as well. This shot of dahlias taken with the 55-135 mm zoom was texturized in Affinity.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

That is an exquisite image! Is the background original?

It is a waxed texture by FlyPaper. I laid it over the photo and painted it off the flowers with a water color brush. I made it opaque to reveal the picket fence enriching the background.

It is a waxed texture by FlyPaper. I laid it over the photo and painted it off the flowers with a water color brush. I made it opaque to reveal the picket fence enriching the background.

Beautifully done!

The three big downsides that I have with the current state of using the iPad Pro for the worflow are:

1) The speed and capacity problems associated with the import. I have a iPad Pro 256Gb but I have quite a few things on it. While importing a couple hundred photos is almost reasonable in that it takes a about 15min. I could only do this a few days on location when I’m heavily shooting before I would run into capacity.

A) the import actually takes a considerable amount of power. I imported 250 photos from my M240 last weekend and if I recall correctly it knocked the iPad battery down by about 30% by the time I got the photos into Lightroom.

B) It is a multi step process. You have to import into photos and then import into Lightroom.

C) It kind of annoys me the way that this pollutes my Photo stream. I usually import into LR and then export finished products into my Photos stream, this kind of breaks that system. My problem.

2) No backup. Yeah I leave the imported pictures on the card and there is the cloud but it isn’t the normal backup to a 3rd hard drive and normal Mac backup.

A) the cloud backup built into Lightroom mobile takes a non-trivial amount of time — like hours on WiFi to get the photos over to the desktop Lightroom. And during this time the iPad must be on and running Lightroom. These two things make it so that it only seems practical while in a hotel or restaurant with WiFi and with access to power.

3) No tagging other than picks and stars. This would be the ideal use for Lightroom Mobile.

4) Editing in LR M is not quite as refined or as feature rich as in the Mac version

A few other things that are kind of problematic:

1) The lack of presets especially import presets.

2) There is no really easy way to sync changes across multiple shots.

3) There is no way to make a virtual copy to make a different version of a particular shot.

The things that I do like about Lightroom Mobile and the overall workflow:

1) So long as you have a decent network, flipping through the images for the first time and pulling out the Picks and Rejects are really great. I think it is better than on the desktop.

A) my only complaint is that it does take a second or two to load the images and sometimes waiting for the image to resolve to the high res version from the low res JPG import impacts my initial emotional response to the image. I don’t know how many times I’ve done, “out of focus - reject next” only to realize a second later that the photo is fine it just hadn’t loaded completely yet.

2) Being able to carry that tiny amount of gear and use so little power. Even though I complained about how much power it sucks when importing. In comparison to what my Mac uses it is really small when you’re working off of solar power and portable battery packs, this wins.

3) It really is quick and responsive.

A) as long as the photos have loaded already or you have a fast network

I have to say I have never viewed using LR or PSF on the iPad Pro as anything other than a quick review of images and some quick and dirty processing to show the potential of the images, rather than as a final end product. 

As a piece of technology for travel I find it perfect ...... extremely compact and it has all my photo apps, maps with GPS, books to read, backups of important documents, email, access to the net and displays images exceptionally well, and having a touch screen makes use very easy. 

Ok, a laptop or Macbook can do the same, but I find it hard to justify the extra cost for something I would only use occasionally and is much more clunky in operation. At home it's all desktops and iPads ..... with a stash of old unused laptops in the garage. 

More power and capacity would be nice ....... and I am sure this will come, as I suspect tablets will eventually kill off the laptop completely. 

• Like 1

I have settled on a work flow that has eliminated a lot of my frustration of using an iPad on the road. It goes like this: I take a card for each day of travel (on a long trip I make that for every 2 days of travel)

As you know every time you insert your card into the iPad camera kit it downloads every image on the card , after a few days of shooting that gets pretty tedious. The thumbnails are too small to evaluate your images so you have to import them to really see what you got. using a card with only a days shooting on it you can import all very quickly with no worry of running out of storage on the iPad. I then select a couple of shots of the day to work on , eject the card and put it in a safe place and trash all the remaining imported images freeing up a lot of valuable space on the iPad. I use ACDSee pro to edit my saved images of the day they are used mostly for email. It’s a simple speedy almost analog way of working, and i don’t fill up my iPad with images I don’t need at the moment. When I return home all the cards are downloaded into LR. Since my main goal is printing and my monitor and printers are all calibrated I would never assume what is on my iPad would match my final print. It’s just a reference that I may or may not use after seeing the images on a proper monitor. This little system has made using my iPad a lot more effective. I have used many of the iPad apps for editing and I am really enjoying using ACDSee. None are perfect but this one ticks a lot of boxes for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1