Noctilux F1 (E58)

reddot925

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Guys, 

I'm pleasantly surprised with this lens, I've already tried the same F1 E60 version so didn't expect to like this E58 but couldn't pass up a good price,  it seems to have better micro contrast or perhaps the focus is more spot on in this copy.

Here are some pictures from the first couple of days of using it, comments welcome!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/146800012@N04/albums/72157686843540784

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Had the E58 in 99% like new condition, it was so far off in focus that I had to send it to Solms for an adjustment and other work ... it came back, focussing better than before, but tbh it just felt clumpsy and heavy compared to my other 50's (a cron v. IV, cron rigid and lux asph) ... I am a lens nut, no doubt about it, but in this case I sold the noctilux and kept all the others. For color work, I found the old noctilux lacking, sharpness wasn't there at the wide apertures ... but oh my, stopped down (f4/f5.6 if I remember correctly) - best pictures ever. I know there can be individual differences between old lenses, or maybe it is just a lens begging a certain style and b/w.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Probably true: "a gem or NOT". Learning to live, avoid or deal with CA and purple fringing... most images with my E58 are surprisingly pleasing. Leica store in Ginza checked the calibration of my lens (and my M9 body) and found them good to go. I note the focus at MFD is about 1/2" toward me (front focus, right?) and that focus is perfect at 2 meters when I test it. I don't perceive any focus difference in practice.

The cool thing about this lens is the way it has shifted my personal aesthetic. In an earlier life, my experience was in large format product photography using artificial light.

It's been said better by others and perhaps too often but the E58 is about painting with light.

It's been said better by others and perhaps too often but the E58 is about painting with light.

This is a silly comment.

Since when does a filter size determine wether a lens is great or lesser? Do you truly think the E60 is any different?

Yeah, “others” have reported but this is the internet and anyone is an intergalactic expert (directly from their basement, and probably typing while only wearing their underwear).

It’s funny how anyone can be a photography expert only because they own a piece of equipment. But no one calls themselves a Chef after spreading Margarine on their toasted bread. And let me tell you, I m being nice with my analogy.

Typos.

Edited by NB23
  • Like 4

Margarine or butter, if you prefer, is a poor analogy for a lens.

I am in the photo business for a long time now. And there is no other profession that has been as violently raped as the photography field, by its consumers.

People brush their teeth and yet, they don’t become dentists.

People spread margarine on their bread and yet they don’t start dreaming about opening a restsurant.

People drive cars and they don’t define themselves as pro racers

Men shave and they don’t define themselves as Barbers..

Like the time My equipment got stolen and when I explained the situation to the police officer, her immediate reaction was “i am a photographer too”. She defined herself as a photographer although she was a police officer. Now that was pathetic. And they are all like that. Everyone is a pro photog: buy a good lens and start charging.

You tell the amateurs that they should take photo classes and what is their answer to you? “Rules are meant to be broken”. They all think they’re the next Avedon with their D70 and zoom lens.

Out of every wedding I shoot, I create about 5 photographers. The guests see me work and they decide it’s cool and a fee months later they have become photographers. Even quite a few brides. In my 15 years career and more than 500 weddings shot so far, I have inspired (and created) at least 2500 “photographers”.

I’ve seen it all and I could write a book on the subject, with a few hundred examples. But I am not a good writer.

• Like 1

Buttered toast can inspire an artist. In the Whitworth art gallery in Manchester, over forty years ago, there was an exhibit which consisted of typed words on paper. The words described in minute detail spreading butter laced with cinnamon on warm toast with a knife which had a serrated blade.

The cinnamon is what a paid photographer adds to the meal.

This is great, but how come this thread has turned to butter?

Oh well, on the other hand the bokeh is indeed so creamy....

Buttered toast can inspire an artist. In the Whitworth art gallery in Manchester, over forty years ago, there was an exhibit which consisted of typed words on paper. The words described in minute detail spreading butter laced with cinnamon on warm toast with a knife which had a serrated blade.

The cinnamon is what a paid photographer adds to the meal.

"I'm not a good writer."

Yes you are!

You've discribed the professional disruption, that hit journalists, too... so far.

It'll reach many professions, as times goes by... faster than we could imagine.

Agreed my comment was silly. If my post conveyed that I think of myself as an expert, that was unintended.

This is a silly comment.
Since when does a filter size determine wether a lens is great or lesser? Do you truly think the E60 is any different?

Yeah, “others” have reported but this is the internet and anyone is an intergalactic expert (directly from their basement, and probably typing while only wearing their underwear).

It’s funny how anyone can be a photography expert only because they own a piece of equipment. But no one calls themselves a Chef after spreading Margarine on their toasted bread. And let me tell you, I m being nice with my analogy.

Typos.

Agreed my comment was silly. If my post conveyed that I think of myself as an expert, that was unintended.

Most of Ned's comments are silly too. It's all just a bit of fun.

what about the Delta contrast?

The Delta contrast is really high in the centre, and then falls astronomically quickly to zero everywhere else.

:D