Angenieux lens for Leica M9/M10

reddot925

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello,

Anyone had good experience or advise with buying any of these three lens for digital full frame M (M9 or M10)?

S1 50mm F1.8, original LTM

S5 50mm F1.5, converted to M mount

M1 50mm F0.95, converted to M mount

Good condition they are going for around US$9000 each (10k for the M1),  for some reason I'm unable to shake this GAS, I'm trying badly, so if anyone has a bad experience please share as well!

But otherwise I have many Leica lens and would like to venture into the unknown with one of these lens as their image character are different yet very intriguing.

Thank you!

No person in the world could tell if any of those lenses were used for a photograph, so they may be worthwhile sitting on a shelf to a collector, not cost-effective to a photographer.

Edited by pico
  • Like 1

Hi Pico, why?

Many people have used them for photographs as can be seen on Flickr.  (including member of this forum, jeffojeffo)

I'm merely asking which to choose and what they are like in actual use.

No person in the world could tell if any of those lenses were used for a photograph, so they may be worthwhile sitting on a shelf to a collector. Worthless to a photographer.

• Like 1

Made as CINE lenses for professional 35mm film movie cameras, which means rare and costly, but probably in good conditions (professional cine lenses are generally owned by studio equipment rentals, which maintain with care their gear) : no surprise that prices are high ... Jeffojeffo is probably one of the not many people to use it on Leica M : given that those kind of lenses aren't originally made to cover 24x36 (even if can be that they do anyway good results) I'd be very hesitant to "risk" on the f0,95...

Generally speaking, should I like to free my GAS on such sum... for me I'd prefer to look elsewhere (sometime, I dream about the Canon 0,95, or even the Zunow 1,1..) :) , but, of course, it's a matter of personal taste... fine glass has something specially attractive for some people... I jumped almost by chance into one Zeiss for Contarex (85mm) .. and now I have 7 of them.. :)

Edited by luigi bertolotti

advise with buying any of these three lens (...) for around US$9000 each (10k for the M1),

if you can afford it- why not. just don't expect those lenses to make pictures by themselfes. you still have to find the right moment to capture.

if you don't get what you expected, you can still sell them.

for a first try, i'd get the 0.95. if you do it, do it right!