S120mm vesrse S100mm

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I'll be the heretic Neil. As you already have the 120, in my opinion you don't need the 100 unless of course money is no object and just because....

And that's what I tell Leica here when they threaten to tempt me. I would go longer for a bigger difference in focal length if I just had to get rid of a surplus 10k or whatever. For my stuff, I probably would get the 45 first myself in that scenario.

I have shot with the 120 a lot and the 100 only a tiny bit. Hand held wide open at abut ISO 640 they just look similar to me. Stop them well down in studio and use on a good tripod and both have all the sharpness and micro contest etc you could possibly want.

In my opinion, comparisons can be hugely affected by many variables as well as your own preferences (how you use it and what you like to shoot too) and priorities .

But you will get one anyway, so do share results from it!

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I'll be the heretic Neil. As you already have the 120, in my opinion you don't need the 100 unless of course money is no object and just because....

And that's what I tell Leica here when they threaten to tempt me. I would go longer for a bigger difference in focal length if I just had to get rid of a surplus 10k or whatever. For my stuff, I probably would get the 45 first myself in that scenario.

I have shot with the 120 a lot and the 100 only a tiny bit. Hand held wide open at abut ISO 640 they just look similar to me. Stop them well down in studio and use on a good tripod and both have all the sharpness and micro contest etc you could possibly want.

In my opinion, comparisons can be hugely affected by many variables as well as your own preferences (how you use it and what you like to shoot too) and priorities .

But you will get one anyway, so do share results from it!

Geoff

I already have the 120mm................and love it. I'm just curious as to what the S100 is really like.

Here is the only picture I have taken with a S100 and that was on my SL after a Russian forum member (sorry mate if your reading but your name has lost me) let me borrow it over a coffee in Phuket to try it out

Neil

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by NEIL-D-WILLIAMS
  • Like 1

How can you add signature below your post?

try this link

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/index.php?app=core&module=usercp&tab=core&area=signature

or click on your name (top right), then MySettings and then on the left hand side you will see the option Signature 

Edited by Daedalus2000
  • Like 1

For me the 100 is my choice over ther 120 except I need the short minimum focus distance of the 120.

First I find it nicer to handle due to smaller weight and size.

Second I slightly prefer the focal length when I take images with people in the frame/ portraits.

Third I find it renders very gentle for portraits , it is sharp and everything, but it has very nice transitions and color.

If I had to give up one of the 2 it would be the 120.

I also believe it is a great 2 lens combo together with the 45.

• Like 1

I much prefer an 80mm over a 90mm or 100mm, so the 100mm for the S would be my prefered lens for portraiture especially since I have the amazing 120mm F4 APO-Makro-Planar for macro and close range photography... (which actually goes to 1:1, which the Leica 120mm doesn't)

• Like 1

I've used both for a while.

I find the 120mm the best of all S lenses (the 45mm being the 2nd).

After reading some (too marketing oriented articles) I was expecting some magic in the 100 but didn't find any.

Compared with the 120mm, for the same framing the 120 @ f2.5 give the same amount of bokeh than the 100 @ f2.

I've found the bokeh of the 120 even a bit better (lightning in the background creating better round shapes). That was a big surprise.

The 120 is crisper wide open with no CA and the 100mm I've had had a tendency to front focus at first, when re-activation the AF a 2nd time it was then accurate, quite annoying.

When I want a light set-up - also often meaning going out with just 1 lens - I use my 70mm which is lighter and smaller than the 100mm and has a more usable focal length.

So there was no place for this 100mm in my bag and I've sold it.

Edited by SaW
  • Like 2

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I've used both for a while.

I find the 120mm the best of all S lenses (the 45mm being the 2nd).

After reading some (too marketing oriented articles) I was expecting some magic in the 100 but didn't find any.

Compared with the 120mm, for the same framing the 120 @ f2.5 give the same amount of bokeh than the 100 @ f2.

I've found the bokeh of the 120 even a bit better (lightning in the background creating better round shapes). That was a big surprise.

The 120 is crisper wide open with no CA and the 100mm I've had had a tendency to front focus at first, when re-activation the AF a 2nd time it was then accurate, quite annoying.

When I want a light set-up - also often meaning going out with just 1 lens - I use my 70mm which is lighter and smaller than the 100mm and has a more usable focal length.

So there was no place for this 100mm in my bag and I've sold it.

I've actually forgot about my 70mm which is an amazing lens with an equivalent focal length of 56mm which is perfect for full body shots, whereas the 120mm is perfect for head jobs.

Question;

Ive been told from an early stage in my photography carrear that if the lens comes with a hood then you shod ALWAYS use the hood............is that still a good practice especially with Leica S Glass

Neil

I've actually forgot about my 70mm which is an amazing lens with an equivalent focal length of 56mm which is perfect for full body shots, whereas the 120mm is perfect for head jobs.

Question;

Ive been told from an early stage in my photography carrear that if the lens comes with a hood then you shod ALWAYS use the hood............is that still a good practice especially with Leica S Glass

Neil

Yes, why wouldn't you? The only thing you are losing is a little compactness which is hardly a strength of the system. You may find that working without is still fine much of the time. That's not to say that it won't visibly help some of the time. Working with it can reduce some flare subtle or otherwise depending on your light and it definitely adds some mechanical protection for the front element too. Any lens at all can be made to flare if you try hard enough. In the case of the 120 there is some natural 'hood' effect from the recessed nature of the front element but again why wouldn't you put the hood on? Edited by hoppyman

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Yes, why wouldn't you? The only thing you are losing is a little compactness which is hardly a strength of the system. You may find that working without is still fine much of the time. That's not to say that it won't visibly help some of the time. Working with it can reduce some flare subtle or otherwise depending on your light and it definitely adds some mechanical protection for the front element too. Any lens at all can be made to flare if you try hard enough. In the case of the 120 there is some natural 'hood' effect from the recessed nature of the front element but again why wouldn't you put the hood on?

im a good learner I've always used a hood

neil

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Neil, if you are in Thailand in January, I will bring my S100mm again and you will be able to shoot it on your oo7. But I suspect you will buy the S-Summicron well before my Phuket vacation. :-)

Cheers.

Yevgeny

Hello mate

Yes I will be in Phuket in January. We will have to get together for a few beers and some Leica poison :) :)

• Like 1

not a controlled comparison of course, but these topics should be all about the photos made I think.
My own extremely limited try with the Summicron was hand held minimum distance wide open (modelling light bulb only in large parabola modifier. I very rarely shoot like that and the DoF is obviously extremely demanding on technique.
My own Summarit I like a great deal. Here @2.8  a bit higher ISO, just natural reflected daylight in a shaded doorway
Both images a tiny crop. These are unretouched versions as people may want to peek closely at the detail

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by hoppyman
  • Like 6