S120mm vesrse S100mm

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hellow

On another thread the question came up about a S100mm lens being much lighter than the S120mm lens I guess due to one not having the CS function. But more that that how would you say they compare to each other when it comes to taking a picture..............is there a better bouquet with A verses B. Is there one with better handling than the other........that kind of stuff

I love my S120mm and have no plans of changing it, I'm just curious as to what the S100mm has to offer over the S120mm 

Pictures would be great to back up opinions

Neil

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Hellow

On another thread the question came up about a S100mm lens being much lighter than the S120mm lens I guess due to one not having the CS function. But more that that how would you say they compare to each other when it comes to taking a picture..............is there a better bouquet with A verses B. Is there one with better handling than the other........that kind of stuff

I love my S120mm and have no plans of changing it, I'm just curious as to what the S100mm has to offer over the S120mm

Pictures would be great to back up opinions

Neil

04a170336cc00de38be4bf19915bccb0.jpg

Zara shot with my S120mm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neil, they're both great.  100 definitely lighter and easier to handle.  For me, the 120 needs a tripod.  I can get away with handheld using the 100 much of the time.  

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Neil,

I've tested the 100mm a couple of times. I don't own one. So I can't test side by side. However.......

My impressions are that the 120mm is a bit more *perfect* wide open. But the 100mm draws in a particular and stunning way. Although I have the 120 I really want the 100. It's kind of my ideal portrait lens. It'd also be pretty brilliant on the SL I have.

I have held off for two reasons. Firstly I am waiting to see if there's a 008 mirror less S. Secondly I've spent all my money on building my X1D kit. It's AUD 10K. That's a lot for a portrait prime. Regardless I am almost certain I will end up with the 100 S. I loved it when I tried it.

Gordon

Neil, 100cron is my most used lens out of S collection. Its size and aperture make it most versatile S glass for my day to day use especially for S006. I can shoot 100mm as is or stitch a few frame to get 50mm frame or I can do shallow DOF portrait with it. And it is very sharp landscape lens as well. You can see above MTF at f8 it is as good as 120.

It does have CA and it is not a APO glass, but I can see leica's effort trying to correct it. It doesn't affect my image 90% of time.

You might visit fredmiranda alt forum medium format thread to see my 100mm samples there over the years.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1246588

As for rendering, this is personal. You need judge yourself. I didn't try 120 S myself, it should be a stellar lens with a little bit more size and weight but given contax120 is my favorite lens, I have no desire to get one for now, and TBH, I am waiting future S to decide how much I want invest in this system.

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Neil,

I've tested the 100mm a couple of times. I don't own one. So I can't test side by side. However.......

My impressions are that the 120mm is a bit more *perfect* wide open. But the 100mm draws in a particular and stunning way. Although I have the 120 I really want the 100. It's kind of my ideal portrait lens. It'd also be pretty brilliant on the SL I have.

I have held off for two reasons. Firstly I am waiting to see if there's a 008 mirror less S. Secondly I've spent all my money on building my X1D kit. It's AUD 10K. That's a lot for a portrait prime. Regardless I am almost certain I will end up with the 100 S. I loved it when I tried it.

Gordon

Neil, 100cron is my most used lens out of S collection. Its size and aperture make it most versatile S glass for my day to day use especially for S006. I can shoot 100mm as is or stitch a few frame to get 50mm frame or I can do shallow DOF portrait with it. And it is very sharp landscape lens as well. You can see above MTF at f8 it is as good as 120.

It does have CA and it is not a APO glass, but I can see leica's effort trying to correct it. It doesn't affect my image 90% of time.

You might visit fredmiranda alt forum medium format thread to see my 100mm samples there over the years.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1246588

As for rendering, this is personal. You need judge yourself. I didn't try 120 S myself, it should be a stellar lens with a little bit more size and weight but given contax120 is my favorite lens, I have no desire to get one for now, and TBH, I am waiting future S to decide how much I want invest in this system.

David and Gordon

I'm like you I am waiting to see what's around the corner for us with regards to a new S008............The only time I tried the S100 was on my SL and it was nice and light compared to my other S lenses. I'm also heading into retirement soon so I want to buy wisly which is something I haven't done before........there's always a first time for everything :) :)

Some lovely pictures in your link there David.

Neil

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

For me the hurdle to owning the S100 (which I've done twice) is the lighter, smaller, and far more affordable S70.

I have that one already............I'm interested in the S100

Neil

Neil,

Think of the 100mm as a classical lens, wide open is it not technically perfect but portrait photographers prefer it, stopped down it is sharp.  The 120mm is a more modern lens with nearly perfect rendering near to far and at all apertures.  The 100mm reminds me of the 75mm f1.4 summilux or the 85mm Zeiss f1.4 (not Otus), perhaps you've owned these, and can get a better idea based on that.  

I can't see you slowing down in your quest for the perfect system, retirement or not :-)

Niel-

I have both lenses and the 100 mm is truly perfect for portraits. The 120 mm is the successor to the famous 90 mm MACRO R lens and is tack sharp. Too sharp for female portraits, especially older females!!

The 100 mm is much lighter and smaller so it is easier to work with.

I use the 120 mm for documentary portraits and the 100 mm for all other portraits.  

Albert  :D  :D  :D

Hey Neil, how are ya mate?

The 100mm Summicron-S is very sharp wide open. And a bit more Noctiluxy than other S Lenses.

I remember seeing this photo and being quite impressed. Just tracked it down for ya.

http://www.reddotforum.com/wp-content/uploads/rtMedia/topics/10884/2014/12/LEICA-S-WORKSHOP-MELBOURNE-100MM-2.0-1-of-1-2000x1329.jpg

Click on it to make it larger.

I'm also waiting to see a 008 materialise to see if I'm going to jump in or not.

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I can't see you slowing down in your quest for the perfect system, retirement or not :-)

Daryl

As long as I am having fun with photography then you are correct I also don't see me slowing down, if the fun part leaves me then I am sure I will stop :)

Neil

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Niel-

I have both lenses and the 100 mm is truly perfect for portraits. The 120 mm is the successor to the famous 90 mm MACRO R lens and is tack sharp. Too sharp for female portraits, especially older females!!

The 100 mm is much lighter and smaller so it is easier to work with.

I use the 120 mm for documentary portraits and the 100 mm for all other portraits.  

Albert  :D  :D  :D

Thanks Albert

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Hey Neil, how are ya mate?

The 100mm Summicron-S is very sharp wide open. And a bit more Noctiluxy than other S Lenses.

I remember seeing this photo and being quite impressed. Just tracked it down for ya.

http://www.reddotforum.com/wp-content/uploads/rtMedia/topics/10884/2014/12/LEICA-S-WORKSHOP-MELBOURNE-100MM-2.0-1-of-1-2000x1329.jpg

Click on it to make it larger.

I'm also waiting to see a 008 materialise to see if I'm going to jump in or not.

Paul I'm doing great.........hope you are too. I'm now back spending more time in Thailand and I am having a blast. The attached picture is fantastic............lets wait and see what Leica have to say on the 26th :) :)

Neil

David and Gordon

I'm like you I am waiting to see what's around the corner for us with regards to a new S008............The only time I tried the S100 was on my SL and it was nice and light compared to my other S lenses. I'm also heading into retirement soon so I want to buy wisly which is something I haven't done before........there's always a first time for everything  :) :)

Some lovely pictures in your link there David.

Neil

Who is David? but you are welcome anyway, Peter.

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Who is David? but you are welcome anyway, Peter.

Theirs another bloke on here called David from New Zealand and I thought it was you ..........maybe add your name to your signatures incase I call you betty next time :) :) :)

Neil

• Like 1

BTW, The lens is very sharp WO. You don't need more sharp than it. It also make viewing experience better with f2 on S big OVF.  It is the most versatile lens for me for better light gathering, reach and size/weight. 

The lens itself may not worth the asking price I would say, but as whole system, I can't  get similar portrait images even with Glass like OTUS from other system, so as long as I am with S system, I can't let 100cron Go. and if it break I will buy another to replace it.

For portrait, I also personally enjoy shallow DOF. But compare this to 120, shallower DOF is not main reason to choose but extra 2/3 stop light and smaller size and weight make the deal. I enjoy extra freedom to control light and DOF and with distance increased, DOF is not shallow at all even WO, it all depend on how you use it.