Travel with Film Only, Film and Digital, or Digital Only?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

For hikes and travel, where weight and space needs to be minimal, I just bring a long my Fujifilm X100F with a spare battery and memory card. I don't bring the charger, as I can charge the batteries in-camera with a USB cord (I always bring a battery pack which I can use for my camera, phone and headphones).

When I want to enjoy photography, and have space for my Leica MP + 35 Summicron ASPH, I usually bring it a long, plus either 1 extra roll of film, or 5 extra rolls of film in a Japan Camera Hunter case.

I do a lot of work travel, and my gear is usually in hotel rooms during the day. I'm not comfortable having the Leica + Cron laying around in the hotel room, so the X100F usually goes with me on these types of trips, and it performs wonderfully. Both cameras are fairly similar, and both offer a 35mm f/2 lens (equivalent lens in regards to the X100F).

I've traveled with my MP + tons of film before, and it's just too much. It's a heavy setup, and takes up a lot of space.

• Like 1

For hikes and travel, where weight and space needs to be minimal, I just bring a long my Fujifilm X100F with a spare battery and memory card.....

The Fuji X100F is my favourite digital camera for travel, backpacking and general use. I also use it a lot for wedding and portrait photography. I would say it is my favourite digital camera of all that I have owned and used in the past 19 years for both my work and my personal photography.

M9 with 21mm/35mm (or 50mm)+ Contax T3 (w/dark yellow filter), possibly backed by my aging Leica X1. Thats what is has come down to over the years. I had film Ms, but the T3 is is not really inferior (plus tiny and turned out to be more reliable than the Ms) if one is content with the 35mm focal length.
When weight is crucial and use is rough, only the T3 or X1 come along.

If I would go on an extended trip, my current choice would be TL2 + Contax T3.

Edited by Peter_S

Well, I am back in the US and drying out in west Texas.  The X70 worked great and it is even smaller then the X100.  I used the M5 in York and it worked great there but I was not going to carry it while walking the C2C.

And as I explained in an earlier post, the greatest camera in the world is not worth its weight when the lighting is flat and dull which it was on 12 of the 15 days I walked the C2C.  York was great.

If I had it to do over again, I would have picked something around 100 miles instead of 192 as just walking and walking and walking day after day did not allow the body (read knees) to recuperate after injury.  And honestly, the last 60 miles (eastern part) of the C2C is flat and not very interesting.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The Fuji X100F is my favourite digital camera for travel, backpacking and general use. I also use it a lot for wedding and portrait photography. I would say it is my favourite digital camera of all that I have owned and used in the past 19 years for both my work and my personal photography.

Yes it's fantastic. I had the Leica Q before for a couple of months, but sold it and got a X100F instead. Mostly because of the focal length, but also the size, weight and cost played a big part in the decision. The Q was great but it's still too big and too heavy to carry around in my laptop backpack all the time, and it's too expensive to carry around all day long on all sorts of assignments where my backpack will be unwatched for several hours here and there in-between meetings and workshops. The X100 just fits the bill perfectly.

Well, I am back in the US and drying out in west Texas.  The X70 worked great and it is even smaller then the X100.  I used the M5 in York and it worked great there but I was not going to carry it while walking the C2C.

And as I explained in an earlier post, the greatest camera in the world is not worth its weight when the lighting is flat and dull which it was on 12 of the 15 days I walked the C2C.  York was great.

If I had it to do over again, I would have picked something around 100 miles instead of 192 as just walking and walking and walking day after day did not allow the body (read knees) to recuperate after injury.  And honestly, the last 60 miles (eastern part) of the C2C is flat and not very interesting.

Flat light is what we get most of the year here in the UK, interspersed by rain and more rain. You want to try living in it 365 days a year!

Well, my wife wants to move to Portland, Oregon after she retires.  I understand it has a climate very similar to how you describe England.  Honestly, I like the sun and blue skies here in the SW.  On the sunny days, the small villages on the C2C and York were great.  

Am glad I carried the X70 as I would not have wanted to "waste" film in the weather conditions and lighting I spent most of my time in.  With digital, if you don't like a photo just click and it is gone and does not cost you anything.

• Like 1

Well, my wife wants to move to Portland, Oregon after she retires.  I understand it has a climate very similar to how you describe England.  Honestly, I like the sun and blue skies here in the SW.  On the sunny days, the small villages on the C2C and York were great.  

Am glad I carried the X70 as I would not have wanted to "waste" film in the weather conditions and lighting I spent most of my time in.  With digital, if you don't like a photo just click and it is gone and does not cost you anything.

I think your wife has the wrong direction in mind :-) -- unless, of course, there is a family connection. Lots of people in Portland own a second home someplace to get away from the rain.

Folks who can't handle rain shouldn't move to the western side of the Cascades.  Folks like that should think of Bend or Ashland... both in drier parts of the state.

Portland has so many rich people moving in from other parts of the country that real estate values are going through the ceiling.  If there's a downturn in the economy in the next few years, recent immigrants may find themselves deep underwater as prices plunge in the Portland market.  There's a lot more value in other parts of the state. so look further afield than just the Portland metro area.

Scott

• 2 weeks later...

I used to live in Seattle.  Talk about depressing.  Moving to NorCal where we are the sunniest place on earth for 4 months of the year is quite a change.  It's a little too sunny but I like my vitamin D.  Think it through before moving up there.