Travel with Film Only, Film and Digital, or Digital Only?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I don't post here much but post frequently over on RFF so am just throwing this out there to hear your opinions and/or experience.  I have been taking photos since 1966 and spent a couple years as a professional photographer back in the mid-1970's.  I have owned Leica's starting with a CL from 1975 and owned every film M up to the MP.  Additionally, I had an M9 for a couple years but sold it last year and returned to film. I enjoy Leica's but also realize there are many other great cameras to be enjoyed and used.

So, with my background out of the way I am curious as to what people here enjoy traveling with.  I will be leaving Texas in a few days to hike the C to C trail across Northern England.  For those not familiar, it is an 192 mile journey from one coast to another and will take me 15 days.  I have decided to carry a Leica M5 (best meter Leica ever put into a camera) with 35/90 lenses and a Fuji X70 (28mm fixed lens and big sensor).  For the hike, it may only be the X70 due to size but the M5 will be great fun in York.

Now, I have hiked the West Highland Way in Scotland and the Portuguese route of the Camino de Santiago in Spain three years ago (90 and 70 miles respectively).  I carried the M9 on that trip but sold it when I realized I actually preferred film. 

So, what do you think?

You've stated a preference for film. Go with it.

I would however recommend more than one body.  For two reasons.

1. For backup.

2. For alternative ISO or B&W V's Colour choice.

Enjoy the trip.

Corollory to Wattsy's comments, which are reasonable.

I would happily suffer for my craft and experience (I do) to ensure I have a very good record of my unique experience.

Phone cams just don't cut it in difficult circumstances, which always seem to occur. YMMV.

• Like 2

Corollory to Wattsy's comments, which are reasonable.

I would happily suffer for my craft and experience (I do) to ensure I have a very good record of my unique experience.

I'd rather enjoy the walk. Live in the moment.

Edited by wattsy
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm just returning from six weeks overseas, took 2xM3, 2x50mm, 1x90mm, 40 rolls of film (colour negative and B&W), 1xiPhone 7. Camera gear carried in a compact lightweight A&A sling bag with typically 7 rolls. Found it all no hassle, hardly used the iPhone (for pictures) and would choose the same kit again. Will start developing the film (I do all development myself) next week.

Edited by 105012
  • Like 1

I'm just returning from six weeks overseas, took 2xM3, 2x50mm, 1x90mm, 40 rolls of film (colour negative and B&W), 1xiPhone 7. Camera gear carried in a compact lightweight A&A sling bag with typically 7 rolls. Found it all no hassle, hardly used the iPhone (for pictures) and would choose the same kit again. Will start developing the film (I do all development myself) next week.

Fair enough. Did you backpack most of the time? I do plenty of 25 mile or so walks in hilly terrain with my Leica film cameras and other stuff (binoculars, map, books, drink, etc.) but I wouldn't want to carry that plus a tent, stove, my clothes and everything else I might need for 15 consecutive days going across country.

Edited by wattsy
  • Like 1

My 2¢

- when I take a nice image with my iPhone, I usually regret I didn't get it on film instead (especially when looking a bit closer afterwards)

- to be 'in the moment' when on vacation, I personally find a film camera helps: I click the shutter and move on. When I use digital, I tend to be preoccupied to see whether I 'got the shot'

- if you prefer film, will you look back on the trip and wish you'd used a film camera, if you choose the digital instead?

PS: don't take a load of gear though. I haven't backpacked for years, but hiking around the countryside I like to take an Olympus OM1 with a 24 or 28. I find I don't mind bumping the Olympus around, while I tend to worry about the rangefinders getting even the smallest nudge (I know, I know)

Edited by plasticman

Like many here, I don't use cellular phones for photography.  I mean it is a telephone for god's sake.  The X70 has a big APS-C sensor and is so small but produces great images which I would argue a cell phone does not.  And a post to "Facebook" to let the family know what I am doing in one of the "benefits" of the digital age.

As I said above, I am not a fanatic about either film or digital or Leica vs ?.  I tend to use what works for what I want at the moment.

• Like 2

On extended or business, where I'm alone trip, I like to have M4-2 with 35mm lens, neat and tiny dP&S with Leica zoom and iPhone. I have tried M-E for my style of travel photography and it wasn't something I liked. I like M-E for another photography, dedicated for family pictures, family trips...

M4-2 as the trip camera:

32546127475_972ef0a95c_z.jpg

M-E for family trip.

35689172574_e2000a5624_z.jpg

Oh, and this is what is called "cellular phone" photography:

34673306060_e08e4da429_b.jpg

Edited by Ko.Fe.
  • Like 1

Fair enough. Did you backpack most of the time? I do plenty of 25 mile or so walks in hilly terrain with my Leica film cameras and other stuff (binoculars, map, books, drink, etc.) but I wouldn't want to carry that plus a tent, stove, my clothes and everything else I might need for 15 consecutive days going across country.

We have rather precise records due to the Apple Watch, we averaged 10km a day, so not up to the lengths you mention, and we were not camping. Also, the lenses I mention are amongst the lightest ever by Leica (elmar 50/3.5 red scale, summicron 50mm type IV, tele-elmarit 90/2.8) which means the kit is light, putting the bag on a scale (fully loaded) it comes to 2.5kg.

• Like 1

So many combos possible.  Over on RFF I even postulated about carrying a MF film camera along with the X70.  Don't exactly know what I will be carrying on the trail but I am leaving home with X70 and M5 with 35f2.8 CBiogon and 90f2.8 TeleElmarit so super small lenses.  The M5 saves me from having to bring a spare meter.

In the past, I have done trips like this and end up shooting 90% plus with only one camera and the other does not leave the luggage.  Guess we will see what conditions are like next week in northern England.

• Like 1

I went on a road trip with my son in August, we travelled from Düsseldorf via Amsterdam, Brugge, Calais south to Le Mont-Saint-Michel, then Paris and back to Germany: I took my Leica Minilux and some rolls of color film only. The results I got confirmed my choice. In no moment I felt regret for leaving all my other gear at home. If you are interested, I might suggest to have a look over at the "I like film" thread, where I posted some of my pictures from this trip. 

• Like 3

It sounds like you've put a lot of thought into your trip.  Will you be backpacking, or will your luggage be transported from hostel to hostel?  When I have been backpacking, weight is a factor, so I tended to travel with the smallest, lightest camera I could, which in the Eighties was an Olympus XA, then was a Minox 35 EL when I got my commission in the Navy.

Lately, I've traveled with both film and digital cameras.  My first trip to Italy a couple of years ago was with my Minox 35 EL and my iPhone.  Unfortunately, halfway through the trip the Minox's shutter failed, so I was really disappointed that I had three rolls of unexposed film come back from the developer, and only half a roll of beautiful downtown Bologna.  It was so unexpected after 30 years of reliable service.  I ended up with 1400 pictures on my iPhone that turned out beautifully.  My next trip to Italy this winter I took my XA and my iPhone, and both worked perfectly.  Oddly, that instinct to take a pocketable camera from years of backpacking meant that I didn't even think of taking one of my larger cameras, like my M3 or an SLR.  Next time I may take my Konica Auto S2, just because my Leica seems too precious to me if it were damaged or stolen, but the Minox or XA or Konica could be shrugged off as, well, life....  Anyway, if you're not hauling everything on your back, a larger camera (or two) can be carried without feeling the weight penalty.  When backpacking, every pound feels like three or four after a week on the trail, especially with elevation changes.

Scott

Edited by skucera
  • Like 1

Just take the M5 and your 35 & 90 with ample film to your taste and normal shooting volume and be happy.

Try to have gate security hand check your film if you are going thru lots of airports and it is fast film. Many, maybe most, won't accomodate film users these days at busy airports but it is always worth a try.

Alternately, contact a shop in a town in the UK where you know you will be early in the trip and line up most of your film purchase there.

• Like 2