wireless transfer

tobey bilek

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I like my 8 & 9 because of the USB port.

M 10 can do it wirelessly to certain Mac devices.  I don`t understand the terminology but I have an "Air"   with 10.10.5 Yosemite years old, no tablets or phones.  Can I install the special App to set up a network with a M 10 so I could move files wirelessly to the computer ?

After all, it turns out to have been a commercial trick. The wifi on the M10 is quite slow, cumbersome and a severe threat for battery life. So I very seldom use it. My idea was that I could show something to friends and family easily on whatsapp. It turns out that it's much better to do shoot it with my iPhone which I hate actually

Edited by otto.f

After all, it turns out to have been a commercial trick. The wifi on the M10 is quite slow, cumbersome and a severe threat for battery life. So I very seldom use it. My idea was that I could show something to friends and family easily on whatsapp. It turns out that it's much better to do shoot it with my iPhone which I hate actually

I find it pretty useful, and not painfully slow. 

• Like 1

Turns out that the wireless communication between the camera and the phone app is using the well documented Picture Transfer Protocol (PTP). Originally created for transfers over USB, but adapted for wireless transfers.

The app just sends commands to the camera and receives the responses. Not really rocket science, but you need the correct skillset to reverse engineer the commands etc. to create a desktop app.

I did some searching and there are several open-source desktops apps that are said to be generic, but these are all USB based. So there is a challenge if someone likes that sort of thing :-)

Turns out that the wireless communication between the camera and the phone app is using the well documented Picture Transfer Protocol (PTP). Originally created for transfers over USB, but adapted for wireless transfers.

The app just sends commands to the camera and receives the responses. Not really rocket science, but you need the correct skillset to reverse engineer the commands etc. to create a desktop app.

I did some searching and there are several open-source desktops apps that are said to be generic, but these are all USB based. So there is a challenge if someone likes that sort of thing :-)

gphoto2 (good old fashioned command line) almost hooks up to it, but it only knows about "Leica M9" or "Leica SL" so it doesn't finish the hand shake, it appears.  Not that you could do anything different than the iPhone app, but I suppose you could control your M10 from your mac instead of the iphone.  But maybe video works from here...hah.

It's cool that it's a known interface at least.

• 3 weeks later...

PTP is Precision Time Protocol.

PTP is one of those unfortunate acronyms.

For our purposes, for example with the M9

or other cameras with USB, it is Picture Transfer Protocol,

ISO 15740.

PTP/IP is a variant for WiFi, but Leica has no such support.

Edited by pico

• 4 months later...

Has anybody made any progress on figuring out the wireless transfer protocol?   willemr says that the camera is doing PTP but pico says that it's not PTP/IP.  Has anybody put tcpdump to it yet?

Protocol for what camera? (The thread has become confusing.)

We cannot use tcpdump on the M9 because the M9 has no TCP/IP capability.

For the M10 see this link (to this site)..

Edited by pico

To clarify, I am interested in the protocol that is used when the iOS app is communicating with the M10.  I'm a software developer interested in making my own implementation that doesn't need iOS but I need to learn more about the protocol first.  I'm wondering if anybody has investigated this already.

I find the WiFi transfer lightening fast from my camera to iPhone or iPad. Maybe it seems so fast because I used to Bluetooth transfer files from a Fuji xpro2 before getting my m10. Now THAT was slow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there ever anyone from Leica on this or other forum to respond to the lack of non-Apple support for the M10? I had no idea as I bought my first Leica that this camera was the Leica outlier in support for Android...  any ideas how to contact a real Leica human to discuss this?