Hood for 50mm summilux asph?

YourFather

After some hesitation (because of the exorbitant price), I bit the bullet and ordered the Overgaard hood for this lens.  It arrived promptly, complete with 2 different caps and a filter adapter ring.  Looks good, works well, somewhat large.  Only hitch is that one of those tree "spokes" that connect the inner and outer parts ends up right in front of the finder window.  I presume the positions of the thread entries both on the lens front and the hood are more or less random, so it´s a lottery, and I sort of lost.... :(

Edited by elgenper

I use a number of Chinese hoods (metal screw) on a number of my M lenses. (Mr Google will find them, all sizes). From memory about AU$3, incl postage! Ridiculous price, but worth the risk. They have functioned for years and work exactly as I expect a lens hood to function. Reasonable protection from flare and mechanical bumps. Screws into either the lens directly, or into any fitted filter.

Very minimal VF interference.

I have to ask the question: does your 50/1.4 Summilux-M asph actually need a hood?  

I found the pull-out hood on mine to be ineffectual but my Summilux was one of the most flare-resistant lenses I've ever used - nearly as good as the f/1 Noctilux and 28/2 Summicron shooting with spectral highlights in the frame - and I never noticed any veiling glare at all.

Pete.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

To answer your question Pete, Yes, at times. ALL lenses CAN be affected by ugly flare situations and I don't have the time to carefully assess what is going on. And (as you know) I use both those lenses. Flare can be a demon, very rarely, it can be a bonus. I prefer to assume it is a demon.

I have come from a technical background rather than an artistic one, but I am working hard to reverse that. Flare sits on the flip side of that coin. :p

A bigger problem with flare can be filter glass, and a hood will not help that if the specular light source is in the frame.

To be more specific, a hood can only help with flare outside the frame, that shines on the front element, not inside the frame. IMO, this is very important.

• Like 1

I use a number of Chinese hoods (metal screw) on a number of my M lenses. (Mr Google will find them, all sizes). From memory about AU$3, incl postage! Ridiculous price, but worth the risk. They have functioned for years and work exactly as I expect a lens hood to function. Reasonable protection from flare and mechanical bumps. Screws into either the lens directly, or into any fitted filter.

Very minimal VF interference.

Agree totally - and the silver ones match the Leica chrome very well (silver have a black finish inside). 

• Like 2

I have to ask the question: does your 50/1.4 Summilux-M asph actually need a hood?  

I found the pull-out hood on mine to be ineffectual but my Summilux was one of the most flare-resistant lenses I've ever used - nearly as good as the f/1 Noctilux and 28/2 Summicron shooting with spectral highlights in the frame - and I never noticed any veiling glare at all.

Pete.

I think the pull-out hood is only meant to protect from bumps - and it is OK for that purpose. I see no need for another hood either. If the situation is really bad, one can shade the lens with one's left hand.

• Like 1

I think the pull-out hood is only meant to protect from bumps - and it is OK for that purpose. I see no need for another hood either. If the situation is really bad, one can shade the lens with one's left hand.

Jaap, I accept that you (and others) see no need for a more efficient hood. Each to their own in that respect. I too use my hand as well as the hood at times, but it is a damn nuisance to find you hand in the way of the finder and sometimes, in my experience, both hands are needed to 'drive 'the camera! Currently, with one hand severely compromised (due to an accident) I am all to conscious of the importance of both ands when manipulating a camera. Speed of action is (for me) sometimes critical in getting the image. My present one handed infliction is very annoying.

Another thing with RF cameras, you cannot always see the flair that is happening to the lens. Using an effective hood can reduce that annoyance.

Jaap, I accept that you (and others) see no need for a more efficient hood. Each to their own in that respect. I too use my hand as well as the hood at times, but it is a damn nuisance to find you hand in the way of the finder and sometimes, in my experience, both hands are needed to 'drive 'the camera! Currently, with one hand severely compromised (due to an accident) I am all to conscious of the importance of both ands when manipulating a camera. Speed of action is (for me) sometimes critical in getting the image. My present one handed infliction is very annoying.

Another thing with RF cameras, you cannot always see the flair that is happening to the lens. Using an effective hood can reduce that annoyance.

Erl, I'm sorry to hear of your accident and hope you are well soon.  It is really an individual matter, a primary reason many use the M system is the size, forgetting quality for this discussion.  Adding a hood reduces the size advantage that Leica has built into the lens with the minuscule sliding hood but it works adequately except for extreme situations.  

• Like 1

Schneider (or B+W) 46mm #950 screw-in aluminum hood. Nice, sturdy but discontinued so hard to find.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2